U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Los Angeles 30 46.88%
San Diego 34 53.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times

Advertisements

I thought about putting this in the California forum, but I figured I'll post it here since they are both well known cities nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,162,132 times
My buddies in San Diego say that shopping and retail is very limited in SD, compared to its population. A lot of people go up to LA in order to buy things. True or false?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM

625 posts, read 1,522,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
My buddies in San Diego say that shopping and retail is very limited in SD, compared to its population. A lot of people go up to LA in order to buy things. True or false?
Your buddies are full of it. Plenty of shopping in San Diego. In general people in SD don't like to go to LA.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM

636 posts, read 1,299,206 times
San Diego . It's more laid back and cleaner. Safer as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
La

Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,456,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
This was true --- about 60 years ago! But is definitely NOT true any longer.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 9,785 times
Los Angeles without a doubt.
It is a bigger and more global city than San Diego.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,246,268 times
Crime and smog make L.A less appealing than it should be. I also find the paparazzi culture offensive. L.A. is more 'fun' no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv123 View Post
Los Angeles without a doubt.
It is a bigger and more global city than San Diego.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,130,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Crime and smog make L.A less appealing than it should be. I also find the paparazzi culture offensive. L.A. is more 'fun' no doubt.
statistically, LA is one of the safest major cities and regions in the country in 2011. and the smog is somewhat overstated - it's still bad in the inland valleys (although better than it used to be), but not a big deal on the coastal side of the mountains (LA basin), which gets the cooling ocean breezes that also push out the smog. kind of funny that you'd mention pollution considering that you're from philly, which, like the rest of the urban northeast, doesn't exactly have pristine air quality in its own right. philly also has some serious crime issues - much worse than LA - although i'll be the first to acknowledge that the philly suburbs and certain neighborhoods in philly proper are as safe as can be.

and who says that the paparazzi culture is representative of all of LA? it's just one element of an extremely diverse, multicultural region. that's like me saying that "philly has lots of crime, i find that offensive" when there are plenty of areas in the region that are safe and nice.

one of the most misguided stereotypes about LA is that it's all about paparazzi, celebrities, and paris hilton wannabes, when in fact most people in LA have nothing to do with the entertainment industry or the paparazzi culture.

don't rely on one-dimensional stereotypes when the city is much more complex than that. oh wait, i forgot - this is city vs. city, where people just make b.s. statements all the time.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM

636 posts, read 1,299,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
statistically, LA is one of the safest major cities and regions in the country in 2011. and the smog is somewhat overstated - it's still bad in the inland valleys (although better than it used to be), but not a big deal on the coastal side of the mountains (LA basin), which gets the cooling ocean breezes that also push out the smog. kind of funny that you'd mention pollution considering that you're from philly, which, like the rest of the urban northeast, doesn't exactly have pristine air quality in its own right. philly also has some serious crime issues - much worse than LA - although i'll be the first to acknowledge that the philly suburbs and certain neighborhoods in philly proper are as safe as can be.

and who says that the paparazzi culture is representative of all of LA? it's just one element of an extremely diverse, multicultural region. that's like me saying that "philly has lots of crime, i find that offensive" when there are plenty of areas in the region that are safe and nice.

one of the most misguided stereotypes about LA is that it's all about paparazzi, celebrities, and paris hilton wannabes, when in fact most people in LA have nothing to do with the entertainment industry or the paparazzi culture.

don't rely on one-dimensional stereotypes when the city is much more complex than that. oh wait, i forgot - this is city vs. city, where people just make b.s. statements all the time.
Don't bring Philadelphia into this thread, let's try and keep it California.

For those who don't know, the quieter parts of L.A. are PV and Malibu - to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or