Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I like the gothic building in downtown Houston
The J.P. Morgan Chase Building (formerly the Gulf Building) was taken from one of the rejected designs of the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. It houses the main Houston bank of Chase (formerly Texas Commerce Bank before the merger). There used to be a Gulf Oil logo on a lollipop sign on top of the building which rotated. It was the tallest building from 1929-1963 until the Humble (Oil) Building (now the ExxonMobil Building) was built.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
I have no idea how Atlanta and Charlotte feel like Northern cities. When I was there they felt like any other big and booming Southern city...Dallas, Houston, Tulsa and Oklahoma City (depending on if the latter two are considered Southern which i'd imagine 50% would vote yes) and Miami. Even if they are fast-paced, the simple truth is that any city the size of Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston is going to be fast-paced, it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in...when you are a city as major as the three aforementioned being slow is an impossibility. All appeared brand new and booming....northern cities have rustbelted downtowns which are generally not as clean and much older.The Southern cities appear newer, cleaner, more vibrant, and just appear to have that boom going on in them. To say that Atlanta and Charlotte don't possess these characteristics is to say that Detroit and Milwaukee do not possess the characteristics of rustbelt cities.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I have no idea how Atlanta and Charlotte feel like Northern cities. When I was there they felt like any other big and booming Southern city...Dallas, Houston, Tulsa and Oklahoma City (depending on if the latter two are considered Southern which i'd imagine 50% would vote yes) and Miami. Even if they are fast-paced, the simple truth is that any city the size of Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston is going to be fast-paced, it doesn't matter what part of the country you are in...when you are a city as major as the three aforementioned being slow is an impossibility. All appeared brand new and booming....northern cities have rustbelted downtowns which are generally not as clean and much older.The Southern cities appear newer, cleaner, more vibrant, and just appear to have that boom going on in them. To say that Atlanta and Charlotte don't possess these characteristics is to say that Detroit and Milwaukee do not possess the characteristics of rustbelt cities.
They do largely because they are so transient. They are still Southern but they dont feel as Southern as say Richmond, Charleston, or Savannah, or Nashville. Atlanta and Charlotte have really lost touch with their Southern roots . I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Many Southerners I know concur with me about those areas. Atlanta is in the South and it really was a very true Southern city, but in recent years it really doesn't have that Southern feel to it. Its very fast paced. But its not just its size though either. Its something in the air. When I'm in Nashville it feels Southern as do Richmond and Chattanooga, etc. Ive never been to Dallas or Houstoun so I really wouldn't know about those places.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:11 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Although I admit Houston's downtown is denser, I don't agree with many of the Houston natives that have said Atlanta is much less dense and urban than Houston. Metro wise maybe so but not citywise. Here are some pictures I found that show just how dense and urban Atlanta can be.
Even Buckhead
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/streets/txbkhdstrsh6-1.jpg (broken link)
Not Buckhead!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
They do largely because they are so transient. They are still Southern but they dont feel as Southern as say Richmond, Charleston, or Savannah, or Nashville. Atlanta and Charlotte have really lost touch with their Southern roots . I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Many Southerners I know concur with me about those areas. Atlanta is in the South and it really was a very true Southern city, but in recent years it really doesn't have that Southern feel to it. Its very fast paced. But its not just its size though either. Its something in the air. When I'm in Nashville it feels Southern as do Richmond and Chattanooga, etc. Ive never been to Dallas or Houstoun so I really wouldn't know about those places.
But you proved his point. Neither of those cities are mega or huge cities in the south compared to Atlanta. I think the largest city you names was Nashville and I don't believe they have 2 million people. Atlanta with 5 million is going to have all types of people from different places changing the atmosphere a bit. It's like this in every major metro area anywhere you go. But the born and bred Atlantans are still southern. Atlanta still pulls in a population from Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina for those who wants to live in the big city.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
My vote went to Richmond. And I'm from Chicago, so I think I know a thing or two about skylines!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But you proved his point. Neither of those cities are mega or huge cities in the south compared to Atlanta. I think the largest city you names was Nashville and I don't believe they have 2 million people. Atlanta with 5 million is going to have all types of people from different places changing the atmosphere a bit. It's like this in every major metro area anywhere you go. But the born and bred Atlantans are still southern. Atlanta still pulls in a population from Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina for those who wants to live in the big city.
Atlanta and Charlotte are not as Southern as Richmond. They have lost touch with their old South roots.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 8,690 times
miami beats out all southern cities with it's booming new skyline.The fact is Miami has more construction in it's downtown [or near downtown] than any city in America outside New York and Chicago

Old 10-02-2007, 03:05 PM

22 posts, read 21,482 times
Atlanta then Houston.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Yeah, Richmond does have a great skyline, especially when it's lit up at night!

btw, I cannot believe Houston is winning this poll!!
Um, why wouldn't it??? Duh...it's Houston.

Still, I must admit that there's something so neato about Atlanta's skyline. Their downtown has some very slender structures, which I find appealing. Plus, Atlanta is home to the tallest building in the South, so.

Houston's is still the best, though. Without a doubt. I would give Dallas and Atlanta a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City