U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Is Houstoun really a Southern city? I always thought it was Western.
No, it's not. We already discussed that.

 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,629 posts, read 65,711,627 times
Reputation: 15101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Um, why wouldn't it??? Duh...it's Houston.

Still, I must admit that there's something so neato about Atlanta's skyline. Their downtown has some very slender structures, which I find appealing. Plus, Atlanta is home to the tallest building in the South, so.

Houston's is still the best, though. Without a doubt. I would give Dallas and Atlanta a tie.
Tsk, tsk, tsk! LOL! What did you and I discuss about these repetitive "which city is better/bigger/happier/sexier" threads, missy? LOL! For what it's worth though, I've gained a new appreciation for Houston's skyline based upon the image shown on the first page of this thread. All in all though Houston's downtown still doesn't seem to have the "mix" of architectural varieties that I like to see in cities like Pittsburgh, Boston, and Philadelphia. Houston's office buildings all appear to be post-1970-era while you can see 1700s-era brick buildings set against 1980s glass office towers in these other cities. Variety is the spice of life.
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,629 posts, read 65,711,627 times
Reputation: 15101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No, it's not. We already discussed that.
Western? Really? Wow! This reminds me of the fools who think Scranton is south of NYC simply because PA is the "Mid-Atlantic" and NY is the "Northeast." LOL!
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Houston is somewhat Southwestern. But I'd still ultimately place it in the South if I had to pick one or the other. It fits in much better with Atlanta than it does with Phoenix.
Houston is not southwestern in any shape, fashion, or form.
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Dallas is Southern. But most people I met from Texas told me they aren't Southerners they are Westerners. I don't really consider Texas Southern, But it was in the Confederacy, so I let it slide.
You speak as if you're from a city that is confirmed as the South.
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4thward2k6 View Post
Atlanta by far, then Miami. Houston's skyline reminds me of Los Angeles, except not as cosmopolitan looking..Houston has ugly looking skyscrapers, and for a city of it's size all-in-all houston doesn't physically look urban at all, period.
Compared to what, Atlanta?? PLEASE. Houston is the most urban and dense city in the South. And you probably haven't even been.
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Greater Houston
4,519 posts, read 8,610,634 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4thward2k6 View Post
Atlanta by far, then Miami. Houston's skyline reminds me of Los Angeles, except not as cosmopolitan looking..Houston has ugly looking skyscrapers, and for a city of it's size all-in-all houston doesn't physically look urban at all, period.
Atlanta's skyscrapers lack cohesion. They don't look like they go together. The buildings that dominate the skyline look old with the concrete and steel. The modern ones are few.

Atlanta is the sprawliest city in the South, second to Washington-Baltimore if you consider that metro as part of the South. Atlanta is not at all urban; it's the one of the most anti-urban cities. Good luck driving through Atlanta. It's just like L.A.!!!:haha:

The L.A. and Manhattan skylines don't have color. Chicago and Houston does--that's why both of us are better!

Good luck with Miami. There's a reason why people don't hang around in downtown. I hope you don't get shot in that third-world country. But what skyscrapers?

The words of Chicagoland92 in the Best Midwestern Skyline thread could apply here as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Is this a serious question?..

Chicago.
Is this a serious question?

Houston.

And Bobby's too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post
Come on now... this is a pretty silly question
This is a really silly question!

This thread is pointless. Houston is the obvious winner. Why don't we close this thread now?

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-02-2007 at 09:50 PM..
 
Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 AM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,488,372 times
Reputation: 4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Compared to what, Atlanta?? PLEASE. Houston is the most urban and dense city in the South. And you probably haven't even been.

sorry but if you look at population figures Houston is not very dense or urban outside of downtown. That honor goes to New Orleans & Miami which have densities around 3 times that of Houston.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Tsk, tsk, tsk! LOL! What did you and I discuss about these repetitive "which city is better/bigger/happier/sexier" threads, missy? LOL! For what it's worth though, I've gained a new appreciation for Houston's skyline based upon the image shown on the first page of this thread. All in all though Houston's downtown still doesn't seem to have the "mix" of architectural varieties that I like to see in cities like Pittsburgh, Boston, and Philadelphia. Houston's office buildings all appear to be post-1970-era while you can see 1700s-era brick buildings set against 1980s glass office towers in these other cities. Variety is the spice of life.
Lol, oh well I was just kidding though.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
sorry but if you look at population figures Houston is not very dense or urban outside of downtown. That honor goes to New Orleans & Miami which have densities around 3 times that of Houston.
Well, you're right about Miami (I didn't include them because I wasn't sure if everybody here included them as part of the South), but New Orleans is less dense than Houston. And actually, there are plenty of areas outside of Houston's downtown that are dense and urban. Midtown comes to mind. Anyway, the density of the cities goes as such:

Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
New Orleans
Charlotte

(according to Wikipedia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top