Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
It beats most of its peer southern cities.....
The sad thing is that many cities that were once Birmingham's peers have long left it in the dust (e.g., Charlotte), and on top of that it does not beat most of its Southern peers. I'd love to see evidence to the contrary though.

Quote:
And Houston wins......
I guess we're looking at different polls? I mean this particular topic is subjective, but it does look like more people prefer Atlanta's skyline.

And please don't be the next one to get on the anti-Atlanta train by riding Houston's jock. It's not a good look.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Not to be a homer but I really like New Orleans' skyline. Tall enough and really dense, plus the Dome adds alot of character.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not to be a homer but I really like New Orleans' skyline. Tall enough and really dense, plus the Dome adds alot of character.
You can be a homer in this case; I agree. It's definitely a contender in the category of metros from 1-2 million in population.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The sad thing is that many cities that were once Birmingham's peers have long left it in the dust (e.g., Charlotte), and on top of that it does not beat most of its Southern peers. I'd love to see evidence to the contrary though.

I guess we're looking at different polls? I mean this particular topic is subjective, but it does look like more people prefer Atlanta's skyline.

And please don't be the next one to get on the anti-Atlanta train by riding Houston's jock. It's not a good look.
Charlotte is not a peer city. Its in a different league. Bhams peers are Raleigh, Jacksonville etc...

To me Houston has the better skyline. It is bigger, taller, and denser. Remember I lived in Atlanta for 5 years, it aint personal so dont take it there

Fyi: if you include New Orleans u have to include Charlotte which is number 5 skyline in the south behind the big four!

Last edited by qc dreamin; 03-10-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Charlotte is not a peer city. Its in a different league. Bhams peers are Raleigh, Jacksonville etc...
Read what I stated again slowly and carefully.

Quote:
To me Houston has the better skyline. It is bigger, taller, and denser.
It's not necessarily bigger; it's just laid out differently. Houston's is clustered; Atlanta's is more linear. And a taller skyline isn't necessarily a better skyline. To me, the uniqueness of the layout of Atlanta's skyline coupled with the architectural variety puts it on top.

And you said Houston "wins" so I thought you were referring to the poll. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Remember I lived in Atlanta for 5 years, it aint personal so dont take it there
Not taking it personally whatsoever, but it's well documented how you like to throw a few darts at Atlanta because some overzealous Atlanta folks do so towards Charlotte. Don't stoop to their level.

Quote:
Fyi: if you include New Orleans u have to include Charlotte which is number 5 skyline in the south behind the big four!
I'm not including New Orleans or Charlotte. I merely agreed with annie_himself that I like NOLA's skyline. And I don't think there's any sort of objective listing out there that puts Charlotte's skyline at #5, so that's not something that should be stated matter-of-factly.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times
Quote:
Read what I stated again slowly and carefully.

I did thats why I posted what I did.

It's not necessarily bigger; it's just laid out differently. Houston's is clustered; Atlanta's is more linear. And a taller skyline isn't necessarily a better skyline. To me, the uniqueness of the layout of Atlanta's skyline coupled with the architectural variety puts it on top.

And you said Houston "wins" so I thought you were referring to the poll. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Then why react when I say Houston wins?

Not taking it personally whatsoever, but it's well documented how you like to throw a few darts at Atlanta because some overzealous Atlanta folks do so towards Charlotte. Don't stoop to their level.

I have never taken shots at Atlanta, it is one of my favorite which is well documented!! I do defend against unnecessary attacks like this and the ragging on Charlotte which some Atlanta posters do....

I'm not including New Orleans or Charlotte. I merely agreed with annie_himself that I like NOLA's skyline. And I don't think there's any sort of objective listing out there that puts Charlotte's skyline at #5, so that's not something that should be stated matter-of-factly.
Its a matter of opinion. YOU JUST SAID THIS

Last edited by qc dreamin; 03-10-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I did thats why I posted what I did.
Clearly you didn't. I said, "The sad thing is that many cities that were once Birmingham's peers have long left it in the dust (e.g., Charlotte)..." The key word that you seemingly missed is "once."

Quote:
Then why react when I say Houston wins?
Like I said, I thought you were referring to the poll. Houston is not winning.

Quote:
Its a matter of opinion. YOU JUST SAID THIS
But you were saying that if NOLA can be included that Charlotte can as well because Charlotte is #5. There's no definitive listing when it comes to this (unless you're talking about number of buildings, and even then I don't know where Charlotte would rank). Someone could include NOLA and not Charlotte, although I don't think either deserves to be mentioned here.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
You know the polling keeps trending in the same direction....ATL, HOU, MIA.

If you were taking a computerized competency test at a testing center and certain algorithms were met, the computer shuts down and gives you a PASS/FAIL before you can answer all the questions.

At almost 560 posts, are we there yet?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
You can be a homer in this case; I agree. It's definitely a contender in the category of metros from 1-2 million in population.
Yes, also Charlotte isn't a definite #5.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes, also Charlotte isn't a definite #5.
Right. I think most would place it somewhere between 5-7 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City