U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 148 36.82%
Seattle 254 63.18%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 AM
 
1,729 posts, read 3,916,767 times
Reputation: 979

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Seattle is urban and beautiful, sure, but still, it's a little too...Pearl Jam .

Dallas, for me.
Dallas' downtown is a joke. The flagship Neiman Marcus even closes at 6pm weekdays. Seriously. You can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone after 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,555,399 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Dallas' downtown is a joke. The flagship Neiman Marcus even closes at 6pm weekdays. Seriously. You can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone after 6.
Yeah, I really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 AM
 
1,729 posts, read 3,916,767 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Certainly not Seattle in the bold categories!
Clearly you have never been to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,973 posts, read 100,717,160 times
Reputation: 32382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Clearly you have never been to both.
Oh, yes I have. What's so damn diverse about a city that is 66.3% white, non-hispanic? They might talk the talk, but they sure don't walk the walk there. Dallas, meanwhile is 28% white, non-hispanic.

Seattlites I have known are NOT very worldly, and they dress like slobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,725,073 times
Reputation: 10238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, yes I have. What's so damn diverse about a city that is 66.3% white, non-hispanic?
Thank you!

For diversity, lets look at some actual data, shall we:

Seattle Metro Area:

White: 68.0%
Asian: 14.3%
Hispanic: 9.0%
Black: 6.8%

US2010

Dallas/Fort Worth Metro area:

White:50.2%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Black: 15.4%
Asian: 5.9%

US2010

Or if you just want to look at the cities:

Seattle:

White: 66.3%
Asian: 16.5%
Black: 9.1%
Hispanic: 6.6%

US2010

Dallas:

Hispanic: 42.4%
White: 28.8%
Black: 25.1%
Asian: 3.1%

How anyone can claim with a straight face that Seattle is more diverse than Dallas is beyond me.

The only area Seattle excels in diversity relative to Dallas is in its East Asian community. There is certainly a lot more people from places like Japan, Korea, and China in Seattle. The Dallas area on the other hand actually has more people from South Asia (especially India).

Ive spent ample time in both and Dallas is superior in diversity, ethnic food, and importance.

Seattle is superior with regards to being more urban, walkable, and naturally beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 AM
 
1,729 posts, read 3,916,767 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Ive spent ample time in both and Dallas is superior in diversity, ethnic food, and importance.
Yes Dallas is ethnically more diverse. No question. Seattle is far more Lily White than most other major cities, but I totally disagree with your comments about the food. Seattle is teeming with great varieties of ethnic food. Take a stroll down Broadway or all over Capital Hill, or through the University District, Wallingford, Fremont or Ballard.

Quote:
Seattle is superior with regards to being more urban, walkable, and naturally beautiful.
And there's certainly nothing in Dallas that remotely compares to The Pike Place Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM
 
605 posts, read 1,206,473 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Yes Dallas is ethnically more diverse. No question. Seattle is far more Lily White than most other major cities, .

You are right Dallas has more Hispanics and African Americans. Seattle is still diverse in its suburbs though. The eastern suburbs are full of Asian Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese. Here are a few of the numbers in the eastern suburbs of Seattle. Asian Americans make up 25.3 percent of Redmond, 24.6 percent of Newcastle, 21.1 percent of Renton, 19.3 percent of Sammamish, 18.9 percent of Tukwila, and 17.4 percent of Issaquah. In Seattle, only 13.8. Plenty of Russian immigrants as well.

P.S. It annoys me that people seem to think that only being African American equates to diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Charlotte again!!
1,037 posts, read 1,713,864 times
Reputation: 511
Dallas is way more diverse, integrated, waay more amenities((Seattle has better nature activities). Seattle does have downtown that is light years ahead of Downtown Dallas with better transportation but outside of that Dallas wins handily!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 PM
 
322 posts, read 519,503 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
You are right Dallas has more Hispanics and African Americans. Seattle is still diverse in its suburbs though. The eastern suburbs are full of Asian Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese. Here are a few of the numbers in the eastern suburbs of Seattle. Asian Americans make up 25.3 percent of Redmond, 24.6 percent of Newcastle, 21.1 percent of Renton, 19.3 percent of Sammamish, 18.9 percent of Tukwila, and 17.4 percent of Issaquah. In Seattle, only 13.8. Plenty of Russian immigrants as well.

P.S. It annoys me that people seem to think that only being African American equates to diversity.
So a half white and half African American city is no more diverse then an all white city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: NC
4,112 posts, read 3,755,720 times
Reputation: 1326
Seattle in general. It has the better downtown and amenities overall, IMO.

Demographics-wise, they're quite different. Dallas is mainly split between Hispanic, non-Hispanic White and Black. Seattle is "whiter" in general but has plenty of Asian representation from a pretty wide variety of countries. I think Dallas is more "diverse" than Seattle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top