U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 148 36.82%
Seattle 254 63.18%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:11 PM

42,762 posts, read 51,132,506 times

Advertisements

DFW = 14th largest economy in the world.

And the fashion scene is heads and tails above Seattle, as well.

I don't think comparing the cities makes much sense. They are very different and honestly, I think they are for different kinds of people looking for different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM

42,762 posts, read 51,132,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Seattle has a better culinary scene - n0 doubt. A lot of great ethnic food, as well as fine dining - more innovaive stuff happening and more variety..
Um...have you even been here? We are drowning in all kinds of ethnic food. Throw a rock and you will hit 50 thai, greek, indian, ethiopian, vietnamese, indonesian, japanese, german. french, russian, various south american, etc, etc, etc, restaurants...

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM

443 posts, read 705,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas definitely beats Seattle in ethnic food. Since Dallas is more multicultural than Seattle, that should come as no surprise.

I can see Seattle having the upper hand in fine dining.
I'm not so sure - Mexican food definitely goes to Dallas. But Seattle has outstanding Southeast Asian food, very good Ethiopian food (large African population in South Seattle), good Japanese food, good Indian food, good Middle Eastern food, surprisingly some very good Carribean food, etc. etc. And streets like "The Ave" (i.e. University Way) and Broadway in Capitol Hill have a great array of ethnic cuisine lined up right next to each other.

I don't think Seattle is top-tier in terms of ethnic cuisine, but it's pretty good. From what I saw in Dallas, I would give Seattle the edge there, although I don't know Dallas that well - I would say they're at least even.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM

2,926 posts, read 4,227,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
DFW = 14th largest economy in the world.

And the fashion scene is heads and tails above Seattle, as well.

I don't think comparing the cities makes much sense. They are very different and honestly, I think they are for different kinds of people looking for different things.
- Exactly

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,273,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I'm just saying diversity is more than just African Americans.
African Americans aren't even the largest minority group in DFW it's Hispanics 27.5%. DFW African American population is 15.4% which is the 2nd largest minority group. Seattle Asian American population is 14.3% which is the largest minority group.

It be nice for someone to post immigration stats of the two cities.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,725,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I'm not so sure - Mexican food definitely goes to Dallas. But Seattle has outstanding Southeast Asian food, very good Ethiopian food (large African population in South Seattle), good Japanese food, good Indian food, good Middle Eastern food, surprisingly some very good Carribean food, etc. etc. And streets like "The Ave" (i.e. University Way) and Broadway in Capitol Hill have a great array of ethnic cuisine lined up right next to each other.
All the things you speak of we have in lots of in Dallas as well. Seattle definitely has Dallas beat in Chinese and Japanese food. We have lots of it, but the quality isnt as good.

Dallas is home to a Koreatown on Royal lane that has Korean food as good as Ive ever had (and Im from LA). Korean options here are nowhere near as abundant as LA and probably less so than Seattle as well, but the quality and authenticity of the food is every bit as good. There is also a Korean spa which I love going to.

As for Southeast Asian food, Dallas is home to both more Thai and Vietnamese communities than Seattle and Ive had excellent luck finding quality and authentic in both in Dallas. Im sure you can find quality in both in Seattle as well.

Dallas is home to the fastest growing Indian community (by concentration) in the US. The Indian community in Dallas is almost twice as large as it is in Seattle. The Indian food you can find in the Valley Ranch section of Irving is as good as any you will eat in the US.

There are more than several Ethiopian places to eat and Middle Eastern food is easy to come by as well. Its not exactly Detroit, but the Lebanese food Ive had here is also very good. I also love to eat Persian food. DFW has the 5th largest Persian community in the US.

Another thing to consider is the diversity of Latin American cuisine. Most people want to throw it all under Mexican, but in the Dallas area we have an abundance of Honduran, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Peruvian, and a few Colombian and Nicaraguan places as well. Havent had as much luck with Brazilian food yet.

Im sorry, but I cant concede this one to Seattle. Seattle probably does have more of it in a smaller space, but overall Dallas has better ethnic food.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM

24,683 posts, read 44,242,111 times
Well going by what the OP asking, Seattle's residents seem more 'sophisticated' and worldly. They are among the most educated in the nation. When I think Dallas I think average Americans going to buy fast food in their pick-up trucks lol.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM

24,683 posts, read 44,242,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Sure we all know Seattle isn't the most diverse city in country--but "talk the talk, but they sure don't walk the walk there" is stupid thing to say. What should there should be some organized campaign to get more non-white immigrants to move there? The Pacific Northwest is a long way from the South where the majority of African Americans live and migrated from, that's why the percentage has historically always been low. The percentage of Asians and Hispanics however has significantly grown in the last 20 years. The Seattle area will continue to change demographically until many surrounding suburbs look more like the Bay Area in terms of makeup. It just pisses me off when people chastise the Northwest for having a higher percentage of white people--a fact that is largely due to geography--yet make it seem like we're supposed to feel guilty about our demographics.

Seattlites aren't as worldly as Texans? That's a good one.
To Texans Texas IS the world!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 PM

161 posts, read 332,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well going by what the OP asking, Seattle's residents seem more 'sophisticated' and worldly. They are among the most educated in the nation. When I think Dallas I think average Americans going to buy fast food in their pick-up trucks lol.
I think such perceptions are regnant amongst individuals who've never been to Texas, let alone Dallas. It really is nothing like the stereotypes which seem to plague the region.

Additionally, I question the assertion that Seattle presents a more welcoming environment for non-white minorities over Dallas. Although I've never been to Seattle, I've heard many blacks bemoan the racial climate there--saying it generally reeked of racial bias. Dallas, on the other hand is a welcoming place for blacks

Dallas is in fact a corporate mecca, concentrated area of wealth, and one of the most diverse metros in the nation. When I think Dallas I think six-figure oil exec getting his Mercedes valeted at the Ritz-Carlton.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 7,887,770 times
Urbanity: Seattle i think.
Ethnic and culinary diversity: Are you kidding? Dallas.
The Arts: Hmmm, Seattle!
National and International significance: Dallas By alot.
Sophistication: Seattle

The only reason i think Seattle gets more reconization than dallas is its Natural beauty, location in the northwest, and because it has Asian influence. Otherwise, Dallas Definently wins..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City