U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Chicago 94 53.11%
L.A. 83 46.89%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
True (they're not that far apart though, especially with post-michelin eateries like Bouchon, Newport Beach Mozza, and Red O making the scene), but again, that type of dining doesn't even represent a microcosm of a city's culinary landscape. They're outliers. 99.9% of one's dining doesn't take place in establishments like that.
Yeah, I'd give "fine-dining" weight proportionate to the number of times I actually seek it out. IOW, relatively little.

Many here appear eager to associate upwards. Open question to anybody reading this: what percentage of your purchased prepared meals would you classify as "fine dining"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM

260 posts, read 305,097 times
Chicago has some great high end dining establishments, but in terms of general restaurants, LA takes the cake. Tons of the restaurants on Sunset are great and there is plenty to choose from. Don't get me wrong, Chicago has great restaurants too, but LA just seems to cater to my taste. LA has a diverse array of asian restaurants, and I personally love Japanese, Thai, and Chinese food.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

129 posts, read 221,847 times
LA has two many grills from the 1980s.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

124 posts, read 120,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Actually there are. That is why LA gets bashed a lot esp for illegals and such... Can't have it both ways, they do have Chicago in that department. Fine dining? It's good, but it's no Chicago.
No, there aren't. If there were 7-8 million foreign born people in the L.A. CSA, that would be more than 40% of the population. Here are the actual breakdowns:

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area: 34.7% foreign born
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area: 21.6% foreign born
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area: 20.7% foreign born

Those are the three metro areas that make up the L.A. CSA. None of them are even close to 40% foreign born.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
No, there aren't. If there were 7-8 million foreign born people in the L.A. CSA, that would be more than 40% of the population. Here are the actual breakdowns:

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area: 34.7% foreign born
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area: 21.6% foreign born
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area: 20.7% foreign born

Those are the three metro areas that make up the L.A. CSA. None of them are even close to 40% foreign born.
Already did the calculations, it's 5.7 million people. That's the legal population. Throw in another 700-800k that are here illegally (probably a low-ball estimate) and you're closing in on 7 million foreign born in Greater Los Angeles.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM

No, that's not just the legal population. Someone need not be legally in the country to be counted in the census. The Census Bureau makes a concerted effort to count EVERY resident, legal or illegal. Obviously some illegals try to hide from being counted (just like some legal citizens hide from the census), but most of them ARE counted. The census is NOT "only" the legal population.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times
Highly unlikely that illegal immigrants were rushing to fill out census forms in 2010. The margins for error of that demographic are, by all accounts, huge. A lot of them don't like being counted. Even if we low-ball the margin for error and settle on 6 million--that's basically equal to the entire population of Houston (metro), just of foreign born residents in Greater L.A.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,621,538 times
Chicago. La is nice, but you have to drive everywhere to eat anything.

It has a quality scene but the aesthetic of naperville in that there are some walkable areas to eat and rest you need a car.

Korean town for korean, east la for authentic mexican, down to south central for soul food, out to glendale for persian, santa monica for your pot brownies. Everything is drive drive drive. La even has a lunch time rush hour.

It is no wonder LA perfected the drive in in the 1950's and the food truck in the 2000's.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,530,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
It has a quality scene but the aesthetic of naperville in that there are some walkable areas to eat and rest you need a car.
shudder...this is true... I am not sure why but areas like that horrify me. It's probably why LA loses a lot of points with me albeit its a great major city. Just not my preference. Dining to me is multiple parts, not just food, but ambiance, service, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Highly unlikely that illegal immigrants were rushing to fill out census forms in 2010. The margins for error of that demographic are, by all accounts, huge. A lot of them don't like being counted. Even if we low-ball the margin for error and settle on 6 million--that's basically equal to the entire population of Houston (metro), just of foreign born residents in Greater L.A.
It doesn't matter if illegal immigrants were "rushing to fill out census forms or not". By law everyone must be counted. Some "illegals" do avoid the census, but the census bureau makes a concerted effort to count EVERYONE, even if they try to avoid being counted. To suggest that the census "only" counts legal citizens is hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or