U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Chicago 94 53.11%
L.A. 83 46.89%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Chicago. La is nice, but you have to drive everywhere to eat anything.

It has a quality scene but the aesthetic of naperville in that there are some walkable areas to eat and rest you need a car.

Korean town for korean, east la for authentic mexican, down to south central for soul food, out to glendale for persian, santa monica for your pot brownies. Everything is drive drive drive. La even has a lunch time rush hour.

It is no wonder LA perfected the drive in in the 1950's and the food truck in the 2000's.
Sorry, but this is a terrible argument. First off, we're talking about eating at a restaurant, not bar-hopping. You sit down, you order a meal, you're done for 4 hours. You don't get up and order meals from the two restaurants next door. What does walkability have to do with anything? Are you going to argue that public transport makes food taste better?

I'm going to hop on the yellow line and see if the buritos at my favorite taco truck (in Highland Park) improve. Might as well give it a try.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-07-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
It doesn't matter if illegal immigrants were "rushing to fill out census forms or not". By law everyone must be counted. Some "illegals" do avoid the census, but the census bureau makes a concerted effort to count EVERYONE, even if they try to avoid being counted. To suggest that the census "only" counts legal citizens is hogwash.
Lol, by law. They're here illegally! Anyway, you win. There's only about 6 million or so foreign born residents here. My main point has been completely debunked because I guessed wrong...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,530,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
It doesn't matter if illegal immigrants were "rushing to fill out census forms or not". By law everyone must be counted. Some "illegals" do avoid the census, but the census bureau makes a concerted effort to count EVERYONE, even if they try to avoid being counted. To suggest that the census "only" counts legal citizens is hogwash.
lol...and you think that actually works? There are plenty of illegals not counted in Chicago, and I'm sure a TON in LA also. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of LA either in terms of a city I'd want to live in, but let's not make stupid arguments. I realize LA has tons of stuff and a world city with great restaurants, I'm just not a fan of the lifestyle and urban framework there. again, lol at the whole census think in order to make an argument against restaurants of LA.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 960,862 times
Chicago because Italian is my favorite type of food, which LA fails at.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 AM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Chicago because Italian is my favorite type of food, which LA fails at.
LA seems to fail everything for you

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
LA seems to fail everything for you
Not at all. LA thrives on Mexican and Asian, but I am not a huge fan of them.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM

124 posts, read 120,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
lol...and you think that actually works? There are plenty of illegals not counted in Chicago, and I'm sure a TON in LA also. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of LA either in terms of a city I'd want to live in, but let's not make stupid arguments. I realize LA has tons of stuff and a world city with great restaurants, I'm just not a fan of the lifestyle and urban framework there. again, lol at the whole census think in order to make an argument against restaurants of LA.
Then shouldn't you guys leave this thread? His original argument was that the census includes zero illegal immigrants. I said that it does include some. Who's the one making the stupid argument? I'll give you a hint. It's not me.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
Quote:

It has a quality scene but the aesthetic of naperville in that there are some walkable areas to eat and rest you need a car.

Korean town for korean, east la for authentic mexican, down to south central for soul food, out to glendale for persian, santa monica for your pot brownies. Everything is drive drive drive. La even has a lunch time rush hour.

It is no wonder LA perfected the drive in in the 1950's and the food truck in the 2000's.
Thank god this isn't true... Can't say I have ever driven to a restaurant in LA. I am within quick walking distance of one of the most famous soul food restaurants in the world, probably 5-10 great authentic mexican restaurants, a couple Korean and Persian places and more dispensaries than you can shake a stick at.

The only lunch time rush I experience is the line out the door at Dos Burritos.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I agree with everything especially the car culture in LA. Great post, keep them coming.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
This discussion shouldn't have gone this far. I would have originally guessed L.A. as the stronger culinary city, but the last post on page 1 by spaceboyzero pretty much sealed it up for Chicago.
What surprised me even more is San Francisco no longer automatically considered the #2 dining spot in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or