Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I've lived all around the world in different cities so I know what the rest of the world is like thank you very much. Don't pull me down into your nonsense because you can not comprehend that "urban" is different from city to city.
All these places are in the same country are they not? Or does your definition of what is urbane only include the deep south? You can't just warp a definition of urban to fit the mold of Atlanta and call it urban. You can keep thinking L5P and Decatur are urban though, and we can agree to disagree.
For everybody else, this is what L5P is surrounded by, at least these sites aren't delusional.

http://www.inmanpark.org/
Located two miles east of downtown, Historic Inman Park is Atlanta’s first planned community and one of the nation’s first garden suburbs. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
http://www.candlerpark.org/
Candler Park is a neighborhood in intown Atlanta, in zip code 30307, about 5 minutes east of downtown and just south of Ponce De Leon Avenue. This National Register of Historic Places neighborhood is one of Atlanta's first suburbs and was founded as Edgewood in 1890.

From wikipedia:
Little Five Points (also L5P or LFP or Little Five) is a district of Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 2½ miles (4 km) east of downtown. It was established in the early 1900s as the commercial district for the adjacent Inman Park and Candler Park neighborhoods to the west and east.

Decatur from wikipedia:
An intown suburb of Atlanta and part of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area, Decatur's public transportation is served by three MARTA rail stations. Decatur's official motto is "A city of homes, schools and places of worship."[4]

Virginia Highlands from wikipedia:
Virginia-Highland is a neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia, founded in the early 20th century as a streetcar suburb. It is named after the intersection of Virginia Avenue and North Highland Avenue, the heart of a busy commercial district at the center of the neighborhood. The neighborhood is famous for its bungalows and other historic houses from the 1910s-1930s.

Do you see the trend in ALL of these sites except your own delusion??? SUBURB SUBURB SUBURB. All of that stuff is VERY VERY suburban. Only people from Atlanta (on this board)apparently think an of these areas are urban. At least the actual people there off the board who run the websites or write wiki descriptions are legitimate and most people from Atlanta aren't as delusional to what Atlanta is in real life.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-08-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
All these places are in the same country are they not? Or does your definition of what is urbane only include the deep south? You can't just warp a definition of urban to fit the mold of Atlanta and call it urban.

I don't need to give you a resume.

Quote:
You can keep thinking L5P and Decatur are urban though, and we can agree to disagree.
For everybody else, this is what L5P is surrounded by, at least this site isn't delusional.
http://www.inmanpark.org/
Located two miles east of downtown, Historic Inman Park is Atlanta’s first planned community and one of the nation’s first garden suburbs. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
While I'll ignore the extreme snobbery of your post, what I like (because, ultimately that is all that matters to me) is that in between the various districts in Atlanta are these residential neighborhoods like Inman Park with awesome turn of the 20th century architecture and a connection to nature by not ripping up ever bit of it and paving it over with cement to satisfy the rather childish views of some who see trees a bit of grass as being anti-urban.

Overall though, I do not see what this has to do with the thread topic at hand. If you don't like places like this or they inflame your sensibilities, take it elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:

Then do not claim Atanta to be urban. Atlanta has many things going for it as a city, but urban is not one of them.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Then do not claim Atanta to be urban. Atlanta has many things going for it as a city, but urban is not one of them.
*sigh*

I will never understand why this is such a sour point for people. My views are what they are and are backed up with my life experiences. My opinion does not need an endorsement from the "what is urban" crowd and I fail to see what relevance it has on reality.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Oh, dear...

Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, dear...
You know it was only a matter of time...

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
*sigh*
I am feeling the same way.

Quote:
I will never understand why this is such a sour point for people.
Because the claim is not true. Portland, Denver and other cities have a higher population, higher ppsm and yet have half the metro population.

Quote:
My views are what they are and are backed up with my life experiences. My opinion does not need an endorsement from the "what is urban" crowd and I fail to see what relevance it has on reality.
Facts show Atlanta is not urban. I am not trying to bash Atlanta. They have many things going for it as a city, but for people to claim it's urban is ridiculous.

Quote:
Ding ding ding. Nobody would say anything if Atlanta folks didn't make such crazy claims. I like Atlanta, but some posts I see on here make my jaw drop and start to wonder.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:

While I'll ignore the extreme snobbery of your post, what I like (because, ultimately that is all that matters to me) is that in between the various districts in Atlanta are these residential neighborhoods like Inman Park with awesome turn of the 20th century architecture and a connection to nature by not ripping up ever bit of it and paving it over with cement to satisfy the rather childish views of some who see trees a bit of grass as being anti-urban.

Overall though, I do not see what this has to do with the thread topic at hand. If you don't like places like this or they inflame your sensibilities, take it elsewhere.
They aren't urban.
All the official sites I referenced say they are suburban.
I like the areas, I am not inflamed nor childish, I just post how things actually are.
That is good you like those areas, I like them too and think they are cool, just don't call them urban, not even close, but now you have a good description of the areas in your post, so thanks for clarifying. You would probably like the middle/outer ring suburbs in Chicago/Boston/NYC or even New Orleans also, b/c they are like the actual city of Atlanta.
Highland park, Downers grove, St Charles, etc. are similar to ATL areas.
Highland Park 26 miles North of DT Chicago

Downer's Grove 22 miles West of DT Chicago

St Charles 44 miles West of DT Chicago

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-08-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
They have many things going for it as a city, but for people to claim it's urban is ridiculous.
Quote:
Ding ding ding. Nobody would say anything if Atlanta folks didn't make such crazy claims. I like Atlanta, but some posts I see on here make my jaw drop and start to wonder.
Atlanta is urban (and so is Houston, Dallas, Miami, and NOLA). Now deal with it.

While y'all squirm over that, I have more important things to attend to. Ciao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City