Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
I doubt it. NOLA has the best night life in the South and one of the best in the country
He only likes generic places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He only likes generic places.
Actually I prefer places that are not

1. Filled with hicks
2. Filled with hooligans and criminals
3. Located in a swamp

NOLA is all of the above and to top it off you guys had a racists mayor who wanted to make NOLA a chocolate city. Therefore, I wont step foot in his greased up city to give it tourism, the racists mayor does not want me there.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post

1. Filled with hicks
3. Located in a swamp

NOLA is all of the above and to top it off you guys had a racists mayor who wanted to make NOLA a chocolate city. Therefore, I wont step foot in his greased up city to give it tourism, the racists mayor does not want me there.
1. If you head wasn't made of steel, you'd learn something.
2. You people from out of town are the hooligans.
3. What does a swamp have to do with anything?

Nagin doesn't live in New Orleans. Bring up other things than one comment over and over. Your arguments are childish, hold almost no value, and are tired.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
1. If you head wasn't made of steel, you'd learn something.
2. You people from out of town are the hooligans.
3. What does a swamp have to do with anything?

Nagin doesn't live in New Orleans. Bring up other things than one comment over and over. Your arguments are childish, hold almost no value, and are tired.
No, the people from out of town are not hooligans. The people from out of town are trying to give that poverty stricken swamp some tourism money so that dump can get rebuilt. However, this doesnt look like it's ever going to happen and am sick of my tax dollars going to that swamp. Tourist visiting that historic swamp city have to avoid the local hooligans and stick to only one main area.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No, the people from out of town are not hooligans. The people from out of town are trying to give that poverty stricken swamp some tourism money so that dump can get rebuilt. However, this doesnt look like it's ever going to happen and am sick of my tax dollars going to that swamp. Touriust visiting the of that historic swamp city have to avoid hooligans and stick to only one main area.
Shows you know nothing once again. You think the hundreds of thousands of people are all from New Orleans?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:

1. Filled with hicks
3. Located in a swamp

Ray Nagin is no longer the mayor of New Orleans. Matter of fact, the new mayor is white, so you don't have to worry about some mayor offending your white sensibilities.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
I don't know why certain DFW area posters get so angry and hoe-motional about Houston being the superior city for blacks in the state of Texas. I know the truth hurts, but there's no getting around it. Dallas may have been #2 behind Atlanta, but that was way back in the 1990's. If I had to move back to Texas, ( ) it would be to Houston, NOT DFW. Much more progressive, worldly place for black people to live in than the Dallas area.

HoustonInBlack.com: Houston's African American Middle Class Population

• Houston was ranked number five in the U.S. for African Americans by Black Enterprise Magazine (2008)

• Ranked in the top 5 cities for African-American families by Black Enterprise Magazine (2004)

• Ranked as the third best city for expanding or starting an African-American-owned business by ING U.S. Financial Services Gazelle Index (2004)

Ranked as the top city for African-American families by BET.com (2002)

African American Houston Metropolitan Population :

2005: 866,016

2007: 979,717

2010 1,071,344

Atlanta is played out. No job growth for the last few years and not much for the foreseeable future. Anyone moving there right now without a job lined up black, white, purple or green would be a damn fool to do so.You know how many black professionals I know who have had to move in the last few years because of the dismal economy there? Many of them have been going to Houston or DFW or up north to DC or NYC. The only black folks I know checking for ATL these days are either trying to break into the music industry, single moms on government assistance, church queens looking to star in a Tyler Perry play or "models" looking for a shift at Onyx or Magic City (which has fell off hard, yeah I've been there, don't judge me ) Atlanta is fun and a great place, but it's still played out for right now.

This map shows that more people are moving from the Atlanta area to the DFW and Houston areas over the last few years due to the horrid economy in ATL right now.

http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 12-07-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Honestly, when I think of Houston, I automatically think BLACK and Paul Wall. LOL!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Those lists are funny. In 2008, Black Enterprise had Houston at 5. In 2007, Black Enterprise had Dallas at 5. Point being, Dallas is not seen as some city where Blacks cannot prosper compared to Houston.

BTW,
Quote:
Ranked in the top 5 cities for African-American families by Black Enterprise Magazine (2004)
Houston came in at number 5. Guess who came in at number 3.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Those lists are funny. In 2008, Black Enterprise had Houston at 5. In 2007, Black Enterprise had Dallas at 5. Point being, Dallas is not seen as some city where Blacks cannot prosper compared to Houston.

BTW,

Houston came in at number 5. Guess who came in at number 3.
Dallas came in at # 3.

According to State of Urban Business 2011: U.S. Cities That Lead the Way, released by the National Urban League Policy Institute, the research arm of the National Urban League.

The top metro areas for black-owned businesses, according to the report, are:

1) Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
2) Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
3) (tie) Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI & Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI
4) (tie) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA & Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC
5) St. Louis, MO-IL
6) Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
7) Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH
8) New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
9) Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2011/12/05/urban-league-atlanta-no-4-for.html

http://www.hvpress.net/news/153/ARTICLE/10546/2011-11-16.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City