Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I still don't know why you didn't like my joke. Everybody knows a Pookie. Man Man? No? Okay.

I've been meaning to ask for an explanation on that name. Who is Annie?

Don't know anyone named Pookie, however I do know two dudes named Man Man. Man Man or just Man is a pretty common nickname. Pookie, not so sure about. The only Pookie I know was Chris Rock from New Jack City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Don't know anyone named Pookie, however I do know two dudes named Man Man. Man Man or just Man is a pretty common nickname. Pookie, not so sure about. The only Pookie I know was Chris Rock from New Jack City
what about cousin Ray Ray?? You gotta have a cousin called Ray ray.

oh, and you gotta have had a friend named Tyrone growing up.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
^^And I have a Cousin 'Junebug' and an Auntie 'Peaches'. Everybody knows a 'Peaches'

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
^^And I have a Cousin 'Junebug' and an Auntie 'Peaches'. Everybody knows a 'Peaches'
pffft, you aint hood if at least half of your relatives names don't have an apostrophe somewhere up in there.

yeah, that's right, I used some double negatives up in that sentence. If you were hood enough you dont have to read it twice.

up in the hood we save our punctuation for our names. we don't waste it on silly sentences.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
* resurrects old thread*

I am geniunely interested in places in houston and dallas that compare to atlanta's club opera, compound, Gold Room and havana club? I admit i am bit psychologically biased because i plan on moving to Atlanta in a month, but i think it is rational to say Atlanta dominates the competition here(with the exception of N.O).

Someone earlier mentioned that all responses will be preferential, hence non-debatable. I agree to an extent, i think we can appeal to popularity a bit. Cities have good nightlife titles for a reason. I've never heard anyone say i am going to go to H-Town(maybe a little here) or the Big D to party. My friends from all over always mention partying in the A or the Atl.I've heard friends from New York speak of experiencing Atlanta's nightlife, I'm not sure how many people up north(or any place outside of Texas) ask about nightlife in Dallas(no disrespect, but seriously?).

I think a lot more is expected of Atlanta with respect to night life, so it should be no suprise that the clubs their are better than the cities listed here. If Houston had million popular musicians and a bigger media outlet their night scene would flourish like Atl's.

Why are Texans debating this? You guys beat Atlanta in some things, but Atlanta's nightlife has national buzz(especially dance clubs.).

Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
* resurrects old thread*

I am geniunely interested in places in houston and dallas that compare to atlanta's club opera, compound, Gold Room and havana club? I admit i am bit psychologically biased because i plan on moving to Atlanta in a month, but i think it is rational to say Atlanta dominates the competition here(with the exception of N.O).

Someone earlier mentioned that all responses will be preferential, hence non-debatable. I agree to an extent, i think we can appeal to popularity a bit. Cities have good nightlife titles for a reason. I've never heard anyone say i am going to go to H-Town(maybe a little here) or the Big D to party. My friends from all over always mention partying in the A or the Atl.I've heard friends from New York speak of experiencing Atlanta's nightlife, I'm not sure how many people up north(or any place outside of Texas) ask about nightlife in Dallas(no disrespect, but seriously?).

I think a lot more is expected of Atlanta with respect to night life, so it should be no suprise that the clubs their are better than the cities listed here. If Houston had million popular musicians and a bigger media outlet their night scene would flourish like Atl's.

Why are Texans debating this? You guys beat Atlanta in some things, but Atlanta's nightlife has national buzz(especially dance clubs.).
No disrespect but Seriously you should get out more...Dallas is called D-town, Triple D, or DF-Dub. Blacks folks don't call Dallas Big D you lost your credibilty right there. You never heard of phrase D-town Swag. Stank leg, Dougie all that comes out of Dallas...But A lot of ya'll northerners are ignorant about Texas in general.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i've always had a great time @ the ATL

i'm sure NO is not too bad

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
No disrespect but Seriously you should get out more...Dallas is called D-town, Triple D, or DF-Dub. Blacks folks don't call Dallas Big D you lost your credibilty right there. You never heard of phrase D-town Swag. Stank leg, Dougie all that comes out of Dallas...But A lot of ya'll northerners are ignorant about Texas in general.
I seriously doubt he's lost credibility just because of a nickname. The real question is, does his overall point still stand? It may, it may not, but if it doesn't, it won't be because of what a certain subset of Black folk call or don't call Dallas.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
this person is has been digging and creating threads bring up African Americans.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I seriously doubt he's lost credibility just because of a nickname. The real question is, does his overall point still stand? It may, it may not, but if it doesn't, it won't be because of what a certain subset of Black folk call or don't call Dallas.
Depends on who you talk too...I don’t expect people from the Northeast rushing down to Dallas or Houston for nightlife. States that border Texas "Yes". But anyone that borders Texas and has experience a Dallas hip hop club will tell you Dallas black’s folks are entertaining in the club. Houston black folks are not as entertaining in the club but they definitely but they make up for it in the rap game with much better rappers. Besides two of the finest sisters in the game Beyonce (Houston) and Erykah Badu (Dallas) are both from Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City