Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not speaking about anybody but that specific poster. I never said that everyone in Atlanta cared about nothing but celebrities, but he clearly does.

You guys kill me, taking things out of context.
These were your words. You just quoted the poster

There are "celebrities" of different caliber in Houston every single week, but people here simply don't make a big deal out of that stuff.

There you are speaking for everyone in Houston. So who are these people you speak of.If your only speaking to the poster. So again you guys kill me trying to justify your statements by speaking for people you dont know. Next time just say your social circle dont get hyped for celebs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 AM

998 posts, read 1,316,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post

There are "celebrities" of different caliber in Houston every single week, but people here simply don't make a big deal out of that stuff.

There you are speaking for everyone in Houston. So who are these people you speak of.If your only speaking to the poster. So again you guys kill me trying to justify your statements by speaking for people you dont know. Next time just say your social circle dont get hyped for celebs.

Well all I know is that during the Superbowl in Houston, the local news had a running ticker of celebrity sightings around town,LOL. You could watch the news and find out that Janet Jackson was seen at the Galleria. People in Houston are just as obsessed with celebrities as any other town. Both cities make a big deal about celebrities its just that Atlanta has far more than Houston so it gives the illusion of "glamour" for ordinary,hardworking people.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,248,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post

Oh, that. Obviously I don't know every person in Houston, but I do know my fellow Houstonians rather well, so I guess I am speaking generally. Of course there are some people here that go crazy over celebrities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Well all I know is that during the Superbowl in Houston, the local news had a running ticker of celebrity sightings around town,LOL. You could watch the news and find out that Janet Jackson was seen at the Galleria. People in Houston are just as obsessed with celebrities as any other town. Both cities make a big deal about celebrities its just that Atlanta has far more than Houston so it gives the illusion of "glamour" for ordinary,hardworking people.
You would have to have lived in both cities to really know the difference. Maybe it is because celebrities are more common in Atlanta, but it's just a more noticeable part of the culture there, to admire that type of lifestyle.

It's that "see and be seen" and "who's being seen in the same club as you" attitude that's more pervasive in black Atlanta, versus elsewhere in the South. I'll probably be lambasted for saying that, but oh well. I call it how I see it.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,382,702 times
Quote:
You would have to have lived in both cities to really know the difference. Maybe it is because celebrities are more common in Atlanta, but it's just a more noticeable part of the culture there, to admire that type of lifestyle.
Your generalizations of the average Atlantan are vastly overstated. Now if you were referring to the gays here, I'd be more inclined to agree as its no secret that gays tend to eulogize all things fabulous. The subject simply never comes up in typical corporate environs, or at least I've never experienced it, ever.

Quote:
It's that "see and be seen" and "who's being seen in the same club as you" attitude that's more pervasive in black Atlanta, versus elsewhere in the South. I'll probably be lambasted for saying that, but oh well. I call it how I see it.
You seem to be reading way more into this than is the case; it's very simple. For someone who enjoys Hip-Hop/R&B, Atlanta offers year round opportunities to experience live (sometimes impromptu) performances any given night of the week. For lack of a better example, 2 Chainz performs tomorrow night in East Atlanta, and again at the Ritz on Friday. You don't think his fans in Houston would prefer local access given the opportunity? And let's be real here, people like Keith Sweat, Musiq Soulchild and Cee Lo can be seen purchasing gas at QT. That is pretty cool to a lot of 'regular' people like marcopolo said, especially their fans.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Your generalizations of the average Atlantan are vastly overstated. Now if you were referring to the gays here, I'd be more inclined to agree as its no secret that gays tend to eulogize all things fabulous. The subject simply never comes up in typical corporate environs, or at least I've never experienced it, ever.

You seem to be reading way more into this than is the case; it's very simple. For someone who enjoys Hip-Hop/R&B, Atlanta offers year round opportunities to experience live (sometimes impromptu) performances any given night of the week. For lack of a better example, 2 Chainz performs tomorrow night in East Atlanta, and again at the Ritz on Friday. You don't think his fans in Houston would prefer local access given the opportunity? And let's be real here, people like Keith Sweat, Musiq Soulchild and Cee Lo can be seen purchasing gas at QT. That is pretty cool to a lot of 'regular' people like marcopolo said, especially their fans.
Never said I was speaking of Atlantans in general. Just that it exists out there more than here. The fact that celebrities keep being brought up into the discussion of Atlanta's nightlife speaks volumes.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,382,702 times
Quote:
Never said I was speaking of Atlantans in general. Just that it exists out there more than here. The fact that celebrities keep being brought up into the discussion of Atlanta's nightlife speaks volumes.
By whom? My initial response to the OP is on page one with no mention of celebs to speak of. Nice try though.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
By whom? My initial response to the OP is on page one with no mention of celebs to speak of. Nice try though.
I wasn't talking about you, man!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
It simply means that it's a component of the nightlife here because more celebrities live and visit here.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,259,205 times
Any Northerners want to chime in?

*resurrects again*

Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,846,364 times
I've only been to Miami out of these cities but I'm thinking:

1. New Orleans
2. Atlanta
3. Austin
4. Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City