Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
IF LA is so easy to live without a car, why doesn't a greater % of LAers live without cars.
Because this list is really about bus coverage and who gives up their car by choice to ride the bus? People normally only give up their car to ride the subway. The bus is something you take a few blocks to the train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The article in OP focuses heavily on buses and bicycles for "transit" and not so much on underground rail and commuter rail. It doesn't seem to even take into consideration metro ridership percentages.

Doing so favors western U.S. cities more. It figures, consider the source.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM

285 posts, read 437,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I have never seen a list that included Los Angeles as being a great city to live in without a car and have no mention of Chicago on it.

Chicago > Los Angeles when it comes to public transportation.
What that means is that Los Angeles is a changing city that is adapting rapidly to today's reality in our region.
At some point in its history LA made a wrong turn moving away from mass transit and building fwys, it should've kept both things going
Now the fwy construction era in the LA basin is pretty much over, and the city has been moving really fast towards a mass transit system, a lot has changed in LA in the last 20 years.
About Chicago I don't know anything about the state of its mass transit options as to have an opinion about it.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
As usual Philadelphia was overlooked but at least we are in good company since Chicago was forgotten as well. Both those cities have better mass transit (including bus coverage) then most of the cities on the list.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
who gives up their car by choice to ride the bus?
I did. I commute by bus everyday. It's the best decision I ever made.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
What about like Supermarkets per sq mile, i don't care how walkable your area is if you need to go 1.5 miles to the nearest grocery store, you need a car.
or bars, resturants, shops ect. and over all proximity to amenties you would want.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I did. I commute by bus everyday. It's the best decision I ever made.
I'm sure people in cities without much rail transit only have that option. If it works for you, that is the only thing that matters!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM

57 posts, read 91,658 times
ATHENS, baby

Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What about like Supermarkets per sq mile, i don't care how walkable your area is if you need to go 1.5 miles to the nearest grocery store, you need a car.
or bars, resturants, shops ect. and over all proximity to amenties you would want.
That's part of their rating system, they're not saying "walkable" in the sense of having better sidewalks, they mean that markets, restaurants etc are within easy walking distance. It's another reason NYC rates highly, and San Francisco also.

However that doesn't entirely make sense the particular way they are doing it, NYC and SF have lots of small, expensive corner grocery stores, but getting to a supermarket with reasonable prices can be difficult in those two cities. On the other hand, I remember a supermarket and a cheap produce warehouse being within walking distance in downtown San Diego which didn't rate, and lots of large scale grocery shopping in Seattle. (my comments are from long-ago living in those cities, I don't know how much has changed).

Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
What that means is that Los Angeles is a changing city that is adapting rapidly to today's reality in our region.
At some point in its history LA made a wrong turn moving away from mass transit and building fwys, it should've kept both things going
Now the fwy construction era in the LA basin is pretty much over, and the city has been moving really fast towards a mass transit system, a lot has changed in LA in the last 20 years.
About Chicago I don't know anything about the state of its mass transit options as to have an opinion about it.
Chicago is home to the Nations second largest mass transit system outside of NYC.

The author of the article literally must be living under a rock

Scary to think we actually read and believe what these nit wits write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City