Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
SoCal 35 44.30%
Bay Area 44 55.70%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I think the Bay Area and L.A. area are very even from a "hub" perspective.

Asian Consulates in both SF and LA:
China
Republic of China/Taiwan (Economic & Cultural Office)
Indonesia
Israel
Japan
Philippines
South Korea

Asian Consulates in L.A. but not in S.F.
Afghanistan
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bangladesh
Iraq
Kuwait
Lebanon
Malaysia
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia
Sri Lanka
Thailand

Asian Consulates in SF but not in L.A.
India
Singapore
Vietnam

List of diplomatic missions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
India
Singapore
Vietnam
Mongolia

You forgot Mongolia. I know cause I attended a reception for the opening of their first US consulate in SF earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
India
Singapore
Vietnam
Mongolia

You forgot Mongolia. I know cause I attended a reception for the opening of their first US consulate in SF earlier this year.
Shoot, missed Mongolia, dang Wikipedia. That sounds like it would be an interesting party!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In what way is Los Angeles more of a cultural hub for Japanese people than the Bay? LA is home to one of three Japantowns in the USA, the other two being in San Francisco and San Jose. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco is home of the oldest Japanese tea garden in the country. Los Angeles does have a better Japanese American museum, but in what specific way is LA a more important cultural hub for Japanese people? Having a bigger population does not make it the better cultural hub.

The same could be said of the Filipino population and the Vietnamese population. LA obviously has the more culturally relevant Korean and Thai populations but the others are very debatable.
How about the large overseas Japanese business community here? There's a good deal of Japanese media, car, and banking companies with their US headquarters based in the Los Angeles area. A lot of the revival of the mid-Wilshire after the riots came from Japanese investors. It feels like there's been a pretty strong continued exchange with Japan in Los Angeles and it's visible in places like Sawtelle. I myself used to work on a lot of projects with LA-based Japanese productions.

Side note, there's also Tokyo pop.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually, the diaspora of Asians away from the traditional centers of SF and LA favors Northern California far more than Southern California.

In fact, the Asian proportion in NorCal is so great that it pulls the entire state up to 12%, whereas SoCal as a whole is actually below that.

Its obvious many people are not aware of Asians long history and prominent place not only in the Bay Area, but also the Central Valley.
You're right to some extent, but you leave out that Southern California is far more populous than Northern California is and the difference in percentages doesn't change that socal still has a larger population in absolute numbers. However, even that's a bit of missing the point since the topic was whether or not socal or the Bay Area were greater hubs--and not the Central Valley (which can be divided between norcal and socal or be a region by itself).

If the red's a dig at me, then I think it's misplaced because I have fairly personal connections with the Central Valley and I am Asian.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
We're not talking about the hub, we're talking about the cultural hub, which is a different question. In terms of population then yeah, LA has more Asians than the Bay. Nobody disputed that.
There's usually a strong correlation between demographics and cultural influence, isn't there?

I understand historically the Bay Area was more important and it still is a primary hub (cultural and otherwise), but Los Angeles is in some ways the larger hub (of course, not for every Asian culture and not in every single way).

The question of history is a bit hard to deal with because the vast majority of the Asian population in the US has been established here for less than a century (immigration used to be really difficult if you weren't White up until the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965--no, not a typo, 1965) and so there are a large number of Asian communities in the US that have very little personal/familial history with the older historical communities. It also happens that maintaining links with the community from back home is now really easily done--how these newer communities play into being a hub would be an interesting discussion. Are these less hubs because they are so connected to back home so have a slightly lessened regional identities? Or are they more so because they can be considered somewhat more authentic despite being somewhat less accessible to outsiders?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about the large overseas Japanese business community here? There's a good deal of Japanese media, car, and banking companies with their US headquarters based in the Los Angeles area. A lot of the revival of the mid-Wilshire after the riots came from Japanese investors. It feels like there's been a pretty strong continued exchange with Japan in Los Angeles and it's visible in places like Sawtelle. I myself used to work on a lot of projects with LA-based Japanese productions.

Side note, there's also Tokyo pop.
Man, I didn't know Tokyo Pop was headquartered in LA. LA really has that Japanese pull.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Man, I didn't know Tokyo Pop was headquartered in LA. LA really has that Japanese pull.
Well, I should say there was. It shut down several months ago. Doesn't count for much overall, but it was still a nice little gateway to Japanese pop culture.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
LA for Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, Filipinos, Indonesians, and Southeast Asians.
SF Bay for Chinese.
NY/NJ for South Asians.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
LA for Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, Filipinos, Indonesians, and Southeast Asians.
The most Filipino Metro in California is Solano County(Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA)

Filipino Population, 2010 Census & Percentage to Total Population
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA 52,641 12.5%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA 287,879 6.6%
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA 182,248 5.8%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MA 105,403 5.7%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA MSA 463,626 3.6%
Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville, CA MSA 73,866 3.3%
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA MSA 25,103 3.0%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA MSA 117,928 2.7%
Bakersfield-Delano, CA MSA 20,296 2.4%
Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, CA MSA 9,693 2.2%
Fresno, CA MSA 13,491 1.4%

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
A lot of Japanese farmed the central valley and other agricultural areas of California in the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century. Those who weren't otherwise kicked out, after they were released from internment during the war never returned for whatever reason. Learned that at the Japanese American Museum. Like the Chinese communities in places like Truckee, it would be interesting to imagine what California would be like if it still had such a predominant Asian presence in rural areas. These groups would all be basically American by now, of course, but interesting to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City