Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times

Advertisements

Based on where I've visited only:

Youngstown/Warren
Green Bay
Lansing
Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Places I would never want to live:

Ohio, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah (I think I'd like SLC if I were Mormon but I'm not and that would just kill me), Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina - all metros.
NYC metro
Los Angeles
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Very doubtful about living in New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Rhode Island but if offered an amazing job I would. Those others I wouldn't even go if offered the most amazing job ever.
I would move to Shanghai if I was offered the most amazing job ever in the world.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can see how someone might say Charlotte is boring from a typical tourist perspective, but living there is a different thing altogether and is far from boring in that aspect. Houston probably more or less fits this mold.
I lived In Charlotte for 4 years. Four long, boring years. Banking and NASCAR. That pretty much describes Charlotte. There is not much art, culture, food scene, or diversity in Charlotte at all. I bang on Houston pretty hard sometimes, but it hands down beats Charlotte as an overall city.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
smh then you proceed to bash Detroit, and those buildings are not "few and far between".
You may not appreciate this, but I think the opening sequence (truck/cop car chase) in "Beverly Hills Cop" really hurt Detroit's image.

I think the Eminem Super Bowl Chrysler commercial was excellent, but not enough to offset the damage Eddie Murphy did to that town.

That said, "Beverly Hills Cop" is one of the funniest movies ever made.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I sort of fell upon this info. today, but Detroit's July avg. high in 2011 was 89 degrees! And I thought Minnneapolis' 88 was hot!! Detroit is NOT "super cold", IMO.
Obviously Detroit would have warm/hot summer, about every city in the mid west, plus many other american cities have that. I was just saying that they have cold winters, but so does many other cities around there, so that might not really matter.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM

163 posts, read 525,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
These are outliers and not commonly on people's lists. Why did you pick these two (in bold), just curious?
Because I look for things that many others probably don't in a metro. I like metros that are more of a "personal fit" for me. A city might be dense. Might be beautiful. Might have a lot of millionaires. But, although those kind of attributes might be good, there are other much more important intangibles which far outweigh these when choosing a metro, IMO. There are certain turn-offs about the metros that are non-negotiable.

Add Minneapolis to the list

Last edited by brri; 03-12-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I lived In Charlotte for 4 years. Four long, boring years. Banking and NASCAR. That pretty much describes Charlotte. There is not much art, culture, food scene, or diversity in Charlotte at all. I bang on Houston pretty hard sometimes, but it hands down beats Charlotte as an overall city.
My experiences were the complete opposite for the 7 years I lived in the metro area and I didn't work at a bank nor am I into racing; I always had things to do. The city has made substantial strides in certain of those aspects as of late (e.g., Levine Center for the Arts). No argument about a city/metro over three times as large beating it though. But if you're really only into the big, mature metros like NYC, Philly, Boston, San Fran, etc., then I can understand your perspective.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You may not appreciate this, but I think the opening sequence (truck/cop car chase) in "Beverly Hills Cop" really hurt Detroit's image.

I think the Eminem Super Bowl Chrysler commercial was excellent, but not enough to offset the damage Eddie Murphy did to that town.

That said, "Beverly Hills Cop" is one of the funniest movies ever made.

???? and how is this relevant?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
Because I look for things that many others probably don't in a metro. I like metros that are more of a "personal fit" for me. A city might be dense. Might be beautiful. Might have a lot of millionaires. But, although those kind of attributes might be good, there are other much more important intangibles which far outweigh these when choosing a metro, IMO. There are certain turn-offs about the metros that are non-negotiable.

Add Minneapolis to the list
Fair enough, just wondering because you're the first to mention them. And I wouldn't like Boise ID...nor would I like Minneapolis.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
???? and how is this relevant?
It is relevant !!!! to your ????

That sequence in "Beverly Hills Cop" is probably the longest continuous look most Americans have had at Detroit, and many people I know went around saying "Nice Having You in Detroit," per the billboard, after seeing the movie, as a joke. That is, in addition to quoting other lines said while in Beverly Hills, CA...if that makes you feel better. People don't discuss the beautifully done Chrysler commercial. Not only that, any news show that deals with Detroit tends to show the burnt-out buildings, not the stately brick homes in Gross Point(e) (whatever), or in the suburbs, or some of the new townhomes that are going up closer-in.

Detroit has nice(r) suburbs, but what's within the city limits is often bleak. There's no doubt Detroit has a major image problem.

I didn't even pick it as my choice....I think I went more with Memphis, El Paso, and Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City