Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
WHAT!?!? The decent parts of Metro Detroit are far and few between??? Do u have any clue what you are talking about???
There are some real nice parts in Oakland county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There are some real nice parts in Oakland county.
Very nice. Wayne County also has some of the richest places in America. Almost on the level of the Bloomfield Area.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I have a question though. You seem to like NOLA.... doesnt Houston and NOLA have basicly the exact same climate?
ha ha, you caught him spewing one of his double standards

Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
ha ha, you caught him spewing one of his double standards

Really?

Quote:
I have a question though. You seem to like NOLA.... doesnt Houston and NOLA have basicly the exact same climate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Like to visit NOLA and typically do prior to the hot summer months, could never live there personally for a number of reasons

Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Really?
yep. He caught you spewing that double standard against Houston again. Why the hate man? You nearly got run over one time and its like a life long vengeance against the city. Forget about that one incident. It was a long time ago

Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yep. He caught you spewing that double standard against Houston again. Why the hate man? You nearly got run over one time and its like a life long vengeance against the city. Forget about that one incident. It was a long time ago
I actually like Houston, would not live there on two accounts but actually like the city. No way on the summers and the city to me personally does not offer an urban neighborhood I desire. I like to visit Houston but would never live there, same with NOLA. No double standard at all actually

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
Quote:
I never claimed NJ was not filled with smog, I said around the refineries there is so why continue talking about this. So, answer my questions and stop bouncing around it.

1. Is Florida an economic dump? Yes or NO

Fortune 500 companies in Miami is 4, Tampa is 4, Jacksonville is 3 and Orlando is 1. NYC metro = 78. The whole state of FL has 12 vs NYC metro with 78.

2. Is Florida filled with snow birds? Yes or No

Personally, living in a place with zero employment oppportunities and old people is depressing, but that is just me.
Except that when you are talking about air quality, smog is probably the first factor to consider. And New Jersey is a smoggy place. And you don't have to be living directly under an oil refinery to be adversely affected by smog.

I wouldn't call Florida an "economic dump"--it, like just about everywhere in this country, is suffering in the economy. Problems here are somewhat exasperated by the higher than average foreclosure rate, which is a story in and of itself. But it's not as though we are talking a desolate, third country wasteland, which apparently you are implying here.

If the way you judge an area is by the number of Fortune 500 companies, then sure, NYC metro has a large advantage over Florida. Me, I'm not one who necessarily thinks we have to bend down and kiss the feet of whatever megacorporation there is for our well-being. There's a lot to be said about small to midsized employers in this world.

As for being filled with "old people", apparently you get your idea of Florida from old stereotypes. There are retirement communities here with plenty of old people, exclusively old people actually. But beyond those places, it's really no different than anywhere else in terms of the range of ages. I'm in my 30s with a young family. I live in Palm Beach County which supposedly is old people central, but really there are lots, and lots, and lots and lots of young and middle aged people. So apparently you easily buy into the false, stereotypes, but its nothing like that..

Old 11-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Except that when you are talking about air quality, smog is probably the first factor to consider. And New Jersey is a smoggy place. And you don't have to be living directly under an oil refinery to be adversely affected by smog.

I wouldn't call Florida an "economic dump"--it, like just about everywhere in this country, is suffering in the economy. Problems here are somewhat exasperated by the higher than average foreclosure rate, which is a story in and of itself. But it's not as though we are talking a desolate, third country wasteland, which apparently you are implying here.

If the way you judge an area is by the number of Fortune 500 companies, then sure, NYC metro has a large advantage over Florida. Me, I'm not one who necessarily thinks we have to bend down and kiss the feet of whatever megacorporation there is for our well-being. There's a lot to be said about small to midsized employers in this world.

As for being filled with "old people", apparently you get your idea of Florida from old stereotypes. There are retirement communities here with plenty of old people, exclusively old people actually. But beyond those places, it's really no different than anywhere else in terms of the range of ages. I'm in my 30s with a young family. I live in Palm Beach County which supposedly is old people central, but really there are lots, and lots, and lots and lots of young and middle aged people. So apparently you easily buy into the false, stereotypes, but its nothing like that..
Florida was an economic dump BEFORE the recession.

Yes, old ppl flock to FL. FL has the oldest average age out of all 50 states.

An old friend of mine told me Florida is equal to The Golden Girls meets The Dukes of Hazzard because everyone is a retiree/snowbird or a native hick.

Hey, I did not start the bash fest...... I have no problem arguing and debating. If people want to bash other states/cities they should be ready for people to bash theirs.Yea, I can bash too, no problem returning the favor.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 11-08-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
Quote:
Florida was an economic dump BEFORE the recession.

Yes, old ppl flock to FL. FL has the oldest average age out of all 50 states.

An old friend of mine told me Florida is equal to The Golden Girls meets The Dukes of Hazzard because everyone is a retiree/snowbird or a native hick.

Hey, I did not start the bash fest...... I have no problem arguing and debating. If people want to bash other states/cities they should be ready for people to bash theirs.Yea, I can bash too, no problem returning the favor.
I agree it's all fair game. But if we want to go the TV route, then I'm afraid you're stuck with Tony Soprano meets Snooki. Because apparently everyone in New Jersey is either a mobster or a trashy reality show star.

Although you do have Bruce Springsteen. That's pretty cool.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I agree it's all fair game. But if we want to go the TV route, then I'm afraid you're stuck with Tony Soprano meets Snooki. Because apparently everyone in New Jersey is either a mobster or a trashy reality show star.
Yep, those stereotypes are true. I don't deny things about my metro if they are true. So, we have hicks and snowbirds vs mobsters and italians who blast house and get drunk? I will take the second option, but I guess that is just me.

Quote:
Although you do have Bruce Springsteen. That's pretty cool.
Atleast we agree on something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City