U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,626,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
In fact, I know folks from Deep South states who are not "Southerners". The were born in the South, but they reject their history and heritage. So birthplace alone is not does not make one a true Southerner. It is as much a mindset and attitude as anything else.
Great point.

A lot of southern-born people reject the culture and lifestyle of the south. Particularly at a young age, their music/dress/speech/etc. would reflect what the "mainstream American" culture they see on TV/Movies, rather than the traditional southern lifestyle. In a state like Mississippi, there is much more peer pressure to be "southern" than a state like Maryland.

I think some people go over-the-top with their "southernness". I think this is very apparent on the C-D forum. There's a fine line between southern pride, and disliking everyone who is different.

For the record, I think Texas is southern. Texans can say "We aren't southern, we're Texans," if they'd like. However, with the exception of Stetson hats (which look ridiculous unless you're on a horse, btw), Luby's, Shamrock stations, Lone Star Beer, and Big 12 football, I can't find much difference between Texans and the Deep South southerners that I know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,703,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I think some people go over-the-top with their "southernness". I think this is very apparent on the C-D forum. There's a fine line between southern pride, and disliking everyone who is different.
this is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. it borders on creepy.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,703,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the whole "yankee" obession that is taking over this board?

Until I came on here, I didn't even realize people still used that word to describe anyone. To me it's a dated term to describe a person, save it for the baseball team lol.

I would never actually consider myself a yankee and don't think I know anyone who considers themself one. I'm an American, North East resident, NJ resident...that's about it. I don't think I'd actually be insulted if someone called me one, just suprised that people still talk that way.
you and me both, and i've been around the block once or twice . these divisive posts lately about north -vs- south are strange (or, shall I say, the responses), and smacks of some folks having an inferiority complex. as i like to say "the only way some people feel good about where they are is to put the other guy down".

Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,919,347 times
[quote=anonymous;1396741]I think some people go over-the-top with their "southernness". I think this is very apparent on the C-D forum. There's a fine line between southern pride, and disliking everyone who is different.QUOTE] I agree!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Quote:
Great point.

For the record, I think Texas is southern. Texans can say "We aren't southern, we're Texans," if they'd like. However, with the exception of Stetson hats (which look ridiculous unless you're on a horse, btw), Luby's, Shamrock stations, Lone Star Beer, and Big 12 football, I can't find much difference between Texans and the Deep South southerners that I know.
I think most, like me, probably just say they are both :-)

LOL at your other comments. Yeah, a lot -- if not most -- of those who go around in western style garb have no more experience with a ranch than eating the dressing. So far as Lone Star Beer goes, yeah, it advertizes as "The National Beer of Texas." Welll, I don't want to speak for everyone who had tried it, but I know a goodly percentage of Texans (like yours truly) who notice the taste has a strong resemblence to another amber colored liquid produced by a certain animal associated with Texas cowboys as they round up strays!

Interesting you mention the Big 12. I read a book not long ago titled "Bleeding Orange" which had a lot of inside information on University of Texas football, particularly the 1983 season. Within was a chapter rather colorfully titled "To SECede or Not" Anyway, according to the writers (who were heavyweights in the world of sports journalism), it was kind of an open secret that officials from the SEC and the U. of Texas and Texas A&M were in sort of "informal" talks concerning the possibility of them joining up. Further, that it came fairly close to happening. In the end though, they went with the Big 8 because of travel distances and the fact the SEC was already a large conference. But hey, Texas schools are in the Big 12 SOUTH division! LOL

Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,873,288 times
Quote:
Now for the joke (which I guess I can tell because I am Southern Baptist): Buddists don't recognize the authority of the Pope. Jews don't recognize the authority of the New Testament. And Southern Baptists don't recognize each other in liquor stores!
Now THAT'S funny!!! I don't care WHO you are!!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,110,879 times
Quote:
Great point.

A lot of southern-born people reject the culture and lifestyle of the south. Particularly at a young age, their music/dress/speech/etc. would reflect what the "mainstream American" culture they see on TV/Movies, rather than the traditional southern lifestyle. In a state like Mississippi, there is much more peer pressure to be "southern" than a state like Maryland.

I find myself getting "more Southern" the further north I go. When I go further South for some reason I seem to just "blend in".

When I get north of DC. I become "mo' southern". By the time I reach New York I'm talkin' like its Mississippi Mud twice as thick and it a rainin'.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM

859 posts, read 3,061,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I find myself getting "more Southern" the further north I go. When I go further South for some reason I seem to just "blend in".

When I get north of DC. I become "mo' southern". By the time I reach New York I'm talkin' like its Mississippi Mud twice as thick and it a rainin'.
I know exactly what you mean!

I don't even feel like I have an accent at home...throw me in another part of the country I start to sound like my Brooklyn mom. It's so funny, I wonder why we do it?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,110,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I know exactly what you mean!

I don't even feel like I have an accent at home...throw me in another part of the country I start to sound like my Brooklyn mom. It's so funny, I wonder why we do it?
Well I always assumed it was genetic, of course I know thats not possible because our cultural identity and how we talk is totally environment. But I do talk like most of my older relatives and I can hear the same inflections and such.

I don't know .

Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 PM

18,594 posts, read 26,961,087 times
Quote:
Anyway, according to the writers (who were heavyweights in the world of sports journalism), it was kind of an open secret that officials from the SEC and the U. of Texas and Texas A&M were in sort of "informal" talks concerning the possibility of them joining up. Further, that it came fairly close to happening. In the end though, they went with the Big 8 because of travel distances and the fact the SEC was already a large conference. But hey, Texas schools are in the Big 12 SOUTH division! LOL

That was just Texas A&M. Texas A&M and the SEC wanted to happen but they wanted Texas and Texas did not want anything to do with the SEC. Texas wanted to go to the Big 10 or the Pac 10 and came VERY close to going to the Pac 10 if it wasn't for Stanford. In fact, it was all but done except that hurdle and the other hurdle being the Texas legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or