U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM

42,589 posts, read 42,681,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a question I am really interested in seeing how people in different parts of the country view it. That is: What states -- if any -- do you personally consider to be "yankee." And too, if applicable, who exactly ARE "yankees."

A little preface first.

As a native Texan and Southerner, it is a common term down here. I hasten to add it may or may NOT be used in a derogatory manner. Often times, it has no more insulting connotation than calling someone "Red" or 'Blondie" would be because of their hair color. Sometimes it can even be used in a friendly, jocular way (for instance, I have a good friend from Kansas to whom I will sometimes say things like "you damn yankee, you don't know what the hell you are talking about." LOL).

This is something I am really wondering about. My own experience is that Southerners tend to define yankee as being those not from the South, while most of the rest of the country views it as those from the northeast. Those in the northeast may or may not apply the label to themselves.

Since I started it, here is my own definition:

Wellll, ACTUALLY, it would probably be easier to list the states I DON'T consider yankee! LOL

In IMHO, the NON-yankee states are the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky, Oklahoma and West Virginia. Also, Missouri, New Mexico and Arizona, while not Southern, don't really fit the definition. Several other western states like Nevada, Utah, Colorado, sorta "straddle" the borerline. What I would consider the "hardcore" yankee states are those that were absolutely Union during the "Civil War." Particularly the northeast/New England.

So far as on an individual level, birthplace and parentage can matter. For instance, a native Texan or Mississippian or Virginian can relocate to Chicago, but naturally they are not yankees.

Anyway, again, I am really curious and interested as to how others see it.

BTW -- very important. PLEASE state on your post where you are from and where you live now (if one is different from the other), as that will have a lot of bearing on the issue!
Hmm Yes I am a "Yankee" And have been introduced as one by my cousins whom live in Tenn. And Missouri. When I stayed in Tenn. for two weeks I learned some lingo. My cousin didn't refer to a paper bag nor plastic bag in the grocery store..she told me to go get a sack. I then answered "a sack of what?" Then I asked her for a soda and she asked" Do you have a hankering for icecream?" She said I talk fast and everyone knew I was from up north. Pa . Although when I was leaving Tenn. I started talking like her. "Why don't ya turn that light off over there." Maybe I'm southern at heart(shruggs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,469,082 times
I personally consider the six New England states and the northeastern portion of upstate New York. I would almost add Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island (Yes, I realize these are not "states"). I would not consider the Mid-Atlantic or Mid-Western states to be "Yankee".
I am originally from Ohio and now live in Michigan.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 PM

123 posts, read 269,424 times
It's probably been said but the best part is when you leave the US, even if you are from the deep south, you are a Yankee. So in the end we are all Americans.... and that's fine by me.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,887,119 times
new yawk, joizey, philly and the rest of youz yankee doodle snow boidz in new england.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,825,174 times
Quote:
President Barack Obama is of Yankee descent
just sayin

Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 PM

14,035 posts, read 22,075,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
new yawk, joizey, philly and the rest of youz yankee doodle snow boidz in new england.
Nice.lol

Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,386,644 times
South Florida,you hear everything but y'all and I don't see much of grits being served.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,825,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
South Florida,you hear everything but y'all and I don't see much of grits being served.
speakin of, has anyone been to st. john, us virgin islands lately? it's like new england took over that island....you have dreadlocked rastas and fat white guys in patriots jerseys

Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 AM

14,035 posts, read 22,075,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I wouldn't consider South Florida Yankee. I would consider it part of the Islands.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 5,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I'd consider some parts of Maryland and Delaware to be Southern even though they were part of the union. I have a friend who grew up in a rural area of Maryland and he has a definitive southern drawl.

I usually think of anything to the northeast of Pennsylvania as being a "yankee" state, however I guess those states in the midwest like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois should be included as well.
Well I've been called a yankee before even though I've lived in Hawaii, Cali, DC, and Cleveland :d

But Ohio was in the Union.. in a little thing called the Civil War
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or