U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 11:44 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times

Advertisements

nobody in ny is calling a person from new england a yankee, either. the only ppl that we call yankees play on the yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,080,454 times
I usually take offense to the term yankee cause in my experience, it's mostly been used offensively against me. I understand that's just how some people talk though, like a really old person calling blacks negros, or Germans krauts or something and they can't just change out of that. If I can tell that's just how you talk, no problem I guess. But anyway, when it is used in a derogatory manner against me, I usually respond with something tactful like slaver or yokel, or some other stuff I probably shouldn't say on here lol.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM

736 posts, read 409,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Sorry, but WV gave a higher percentage of men to the Confederacy than either Kentucky or Missouri. You will have to look elsewhere.

The Civil War in West Virginia
Then why did WV succede from Virginia when they succeded from the union?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,765,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, most of us who use the terms yankee DO remain where we are! LOL

Seriously, chill out. I started this thread a couple of years ago out of curiosity as to regional differences. After all, isn't that what C-D is about sometime? In fact, until it popped up, I had almost forgotten about it!

The "Civil War" has nothing to do with it, in the sense its use implies hostile motivations.

The term "yankee" is just part of the historical Southern vernacular. Just the same as "yank" is with our British/England friends/allies in referring to ALL Americans. To a Southerner, anyone not from the South is a yankee. It does not necessarily imply anything derogatory nor insulting (depends on the yankee in question! ).

Sometimes Midwesterners call Northeasterners "yankees" The latter may label New Englanders yankees. And perhaps a few of THEM, assign the label to those from Vermont or Connecticutt.

Hell, Lots of businesses in the Northeast proudly use "Yankee" as part of their logos and shop names.

Exactly, TexasReb!

My Mother (a native Floridian) subscribed to Yankee Magazine due to no other reason than she fell in love with all things New England.

eek is attempting to demonize a word he really doesn't understand, imo.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,642,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
as a person that has lived in the south, the term yankee is NOT part of the southern vernacular. maybe 100 years ago it was used regularly but it is not used regularly in the south. i was in texas for a year and didn't hear it at all. i was in nc and i think i heard it like maybe once. i have fam in sc and don't hear it at all. i have fam in md, va and i haven't heard it there either.

only when you read posts from ppl on CD do you see this word used the way it is the amount of times it is.

ppl are far more likely to use the word "northerner," up north, or more commonly *insert state here* to describe a person than yankee.

on CD it turns from "oh he's from boston, she's from chicago, he's from ny" to "oh us folks from southland in dixie country don't care too much for those damned yankees."

then ppl wonder why those of us from here think a lot of ppl down south are backwards.

as far as the businesses that use the term yankee, that argument is tired. the ny yankees were created when?
Well, then I guess our experiences are just different. Either that or you are just reading too much into it.

Yankee Candles. Yankee Magazine. Yankee Hill Machine. And that is just the tip of the iceberg as to certain NE concerns which proudly announce their "yankee" roots and heritage. What is so wrong with that?

Yankee Magazine

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. � Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Home

Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 AM

736 posts, read 409,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, then I guess our experiences are just different. Either that or you are just reading too much into it.

Yankee Candles. Yankee Magazine. Yankee Hill Machine. And that is just the tip of the iceberg as to certain NE concerns which proudly announce their "yankee" roots and heritage. What is so wrong with that?

Yankee Magazine

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. � Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Home
I agree. There is nothing wrong with being a yankee, i'm just saying don't call me one cuz I aint. Like I was saying though there is nothing with being a yankee because your ancestors fought just as hard to defend the north as mine did to fight for the south.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 AM

654 posts, read 1,102,145 times
I prefer the term "Met", don't associate it with "loser" though.

I live 9 miles from Citi Field and 18 miles from Yankee Stadium just so we're clear.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,393,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post

I live 9 miles from Citi Field and 18 miles from Yankee Stadium just so we're clear.
Lol.

But I've never been called a Yankee. I don't really give off a Northerner vibe though, I'm very relaxed, I walk slow, half the time I dress like a stereotypical Californian, I like flip flops/crocs on top of that lol. I hate Winter (except Christmas time + 1 or 2 storms). Sometimes people are surprised that I'm from NYC, my mixed up accent throws people off sometimes even though it's mostly NY. A tourist has a better chance at navigating the subway than me lol.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post

I would choose Yankee over Met, sorry

Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 AM

976 posts, read 1,807,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
What about Kansas? Durring the civil war Kansas attacked Missouri becuase we were a slave state and we wanted them to be a slave state.
missouri was a slave state (so was maryland), but missouri was never officially part of the confederacy, thanks to st. louis's role as a union stronghold. read up on the missouri compromise, which allowed this state to split its sympathies to both the union and confederacy. nevertheless, missouri remained officially a union state throughout the entire civil war. we're not yankees, but we are a far cry from dixie. people in the st. louis area have much more in common with the north than the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or