U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 AM

3,421 posts, read 9,217,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
When I hear people refer to someone as a Yank, I think it most represents one from Connecticut, Rhode Island or Massachusetts.
Yes. Someone from New England. It is NOT a generic term for someone from the Northeast outside of New England, or any other Northern, Mid-Western, or Western state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,831,803 times
IMO any state that is not in the south.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,068,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Though while I hate Yankees I only dislike Californians. Both kinds of people are rude, pushy and aggressive and snobby but at least Californians don't look down on the SOuth and Midwest as if we're scum.

Are you ignorant or just ridiculously bitter for some reason?

I am from New England, have lived in various areas of the country, and *GASP* I don't look down on other regions as though they are scum. Crazy, isn't it? Unfortunately for you, I don't fit into your tidy stereotype. Good thing I am not as judgemental as you or I would think all terrapins were so misinformed.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,618,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
DC is not very Southern, but I don't consider DC the Northeast. Its below the Mason Dixon line and across the river is Virginny. DC is often refered to as the northermost Southern city. I would put DC as a gateway city to the South. Its just not at all like Boston, or New York, or Philadelphia. People are also pretty friendly in DC.
I look at DC as the southernmost northern city.
Somewhere on I-95 between Richmond, VA and Fredericksburg, VA, there is a bump in the road. The pavement becomes smooth and well-maintained, and streetlights appear along the interstate. That, to me, is where the north starts.

Quote:
I have never heard a South Carolinian thinking of a North Carolinian as a yankee. Thats new to me. Nor have I heard North Carolina thinking Virginians are yankees.
It's more of a joke than anything else. I brought it up because it's relevant to the usage of the word "Yankee". For example, when I told my dentist I was moving to NC, he told me, "Now don't go turn into a Yankee, OK?"

My brother moved to Charlottesville, VA, and my dad now refers to him as a Yankee. It's supposed to be funny, but there is some slight truth to it. North Carolina and Virginia are a good deal more "mainstream" than SC is, and like I mentioned, SC is a good deal more "mainstream" than Mississippi is.

Quote:
Each Southern state has their own brand of Southern. No Southern state is really "more southern" than the other per se, they just have a different vibe. When I was out in Tennessee it felt Southern, but not Virginia-Southern.
I agree that each place has its own distinct culture, but I disagree when you say no state is "more southern" than another. Culturally, "The Old South" just doesn't fit with an urban lifestyle. It's possible, but Uncommon. Jacksonville, Houston, Raleigh, Atlanta and Charlotte are not good examples. Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham are good examples.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM

492 posts, read 2,144,078 times
Since the word "Yankee" is not in my vocabulary (I'm from PA and now live in OH), I was just wondering what are the characteristics of a so-called Yankee?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,618,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Since the word "Yankee" is not in my vocabulary (I'm from PA and now live in OH), I was just wondering what are the characteristics of a so-called Yankee?
I'd recommend reading some Lewis Grizzard. He wrote a humor column for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution for many years.
Archive

When used in a neutral way, "Yankee" just literally means someone from the north. So there isn't much of a stereotype, just someone who is unfamiliar with southern ways.

When used as a derogatory term (You'd know it if it was), the word carries a lot of negative stereotypes. I could go into them in detail, but I'd prefer not to.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,901,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
DC is not very Southern, but I don't consider DC the Northeast. Its below the Mason Dixon line and across the river is Virginny. DC is often refered to as the northermost Southern city. I would put DC as a gateway city to the South. Its just not at all like Boston, or New York, or Philadelphia. People are also pretty friendly in DC.

I have never heard a South Carolinian thinking of a North Carolinian as a yankee. Thats new to me. Nor have I heard North Carolina thinking Virginians are yankees. Each Southern state has their own brand of Southern. No Southern state is really "more southern" than the other per se, they just have a different vibe. When I was out in Tennessee it felt Southern, but not Virginia-Southern.

The lady I met from Savannah, Georgia when I told her I was from Virginia she said it was nice to meet a fellow Southerner.
My son in the 5th grade brough home a paper that he did on the regions of the US and the 12 states below the mason-dixon line are still being taught as the Southeast and Missouri is part of the midwest. Who am I to argue with school?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,870,429 times
Here in Texas, a yankee is anyone not from Texas or the South. That includes California. Since we've been having an influx of out-of-staters coming in off and on since the 70's, I've heard it used plenty of times. Sometimes in connection with d*** yankee. But it's not always used derogetarily (sp). I have a sister-in-law who is a proud yankee. She is originally from New Hampshire. She doesn't mind the term being used in jest.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 AM

570 posts, read 1,906,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Are you ignorant or just ridiculously bitter for some reason?

I am from New England, have lived in various areas of the country, and *GASP* I don't look down on other regions as though they are scum. Crazy, isn't it? Unfortunately for you, I don't fit into your tidy stereotype. Good thing I am not as judgemental as you or I would think all terrapins were so misinformed.
I'd say bitter and maybe a little jealous? Not sure what there is to be jealous of, but surely he/she is coming across this way.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,870,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
I'd say bitter and maybe a little jealous? Not sure what there is to be jealous of, but surely he/she is coming across this way.
Yes, every part of the country has it's good and bad. It's a broad generalization to lump all people of one category together and then declare that you "hate" them. That's a pretty strong word and mean-spirited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or