Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I look at DC as the southernmost northern city.
Somewhere on I-95 between Richmond, VA and Fredericksburg, VA, there is a bump in the road. The pavement becomes smooth and well-maintained, and streetlights appear along the interstate. That, to me, is where the north starts.

It's more of a joke than anything else. I brought it up because it's relevant to the usage of the word "Yankee". For example, when I told my dentist I was moving to NC, he told me, "Now don't go turn into a Yankee, OK?"

My brother moved to Charlottesville, VA, and my dad now refers to him as a Yankee. It's supposed to be funny, but there is some slight truth to it. North Carolina and Virginia are a good deal more "mainstream" than SC is, and like I mentioned, SC is a good deal more "mainstream" than Mississippi is.

I agree that each place has its own distinct culture, but I disagree when you say no state is "more southern" than another. Culturally, "The Old South" just doesn't fit with an urban lifestyle. It's possible, but Uncommon. Jacksonville, Houston, Raleigh, Atlanta and Charlotte are not good examples. Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham are good examples.
Don't forget Richmond.

DC might be like that now. 50 years ago DC was a Southern town on the edge. It was even a Country Music capital before Country Music was accepted up North, and most of the cops were from nearby southern states.
And there's also a slight southern accent in DC that is made famous by radio talk show host Diane Reems.

I have been to the Deep South and I just speak from experience when it didn't really feel any different than my native Virginia. I just felt at home there. If I went to New England or New York I would feel like a fish out of water. Thats why I dont really think one state is more Southern than the other. They might claim to be. But each state to me just has a different version of South

The swamps of Louisana are one South. The rolling hills of Virginia and Kentucky are another. Virginia's Confederate legacy , Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson etc, are another. Nashville's Country Music scene, Georgia's peaches, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Don't forget Richmond.

DC might be like that now. 50 years ago DC was a Southern town on the edge. It was even a Country Music capital before Country Music was accepted up North, and most of the cops were from nearby southern states.
And there's also a slight southern accent in DC that is made famous by radio talk show host Diane Reems.

I have been to the Deep South and I just speak from experience when it didn't really feel any different than my native Virginia. I just felt at home there. If I went to New England or New York I would feel like a fish out of water. Thats why I dont really think one state is more Southern than the other. They might claim to be. But each state to me just has a different version of South

The swamps of Louisana are one South. The rolling hills of Virginia and Kentucky are another. Virginia's Confederate legacy , Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson etc, are another. Nashville's Country Music scene, Georgia's peaches, etc.
I live next door to the city of Arlington, Texas. Did you know that the founders named it after Robert E. Lee's hometown of Arlington, Virginia? And that the city of Cleburne (south of Fort Worth) is named after another confederate general? There are several Robert E. Lee schools in Texas, too. Dallas has a civil war memorial with four statues of generals including Lee.

While he was in Texas during the civil war he was quite proud of the Texas troops that he had command over.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I live next door to the city of Arlington, Texas. Did you know that the founders named it after Robert E. Lee's hometown of Arlington, Virginia? And that the city of Cleburne (south of Fort Worth) is named after another confederate general? There are several Robert E. Lee schools in Texas, too. Dallas has a civil war memorial with four statues of generals including Lee.

While he was in Texas during the civil war he was quite proud of the Texas troops that he had command over.
Yes. Texas was actually founded by a Virginian by the name of Sam Houstoun. He and several other Virginians settled Texas. Most Texans can trace their roots to VA or NC or TN.

Lee's home was a beautiful Antebellum Mansion . He could never go back there because the Yankees made a cemetary there. So he was forced to leave.

This was after his command of the Army of Northern Virginia. Arlington Cemetary is very beautiful though. The Potomac River really does seem to be a cultural diving line.

I remember someone wrote a book called "Life South Of the Potomac". The Potomac River begins at Berkley Springs, West VA and flows down eastward.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,331 times
I consider the following to be "yankee"..........Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticutt, the rest of New England, and eastern Pennsylvania. Michigan too....

Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
I consider the following to be "yankee"..........Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticutt, the rest of New England, and eastern Pennsylvania. Michigan too....
What do you think of Virginia? Can we past the test? We have kudzu here and really do relish BBQ and sweet tea.

But I have met some folks from the Deep South who think we're Northerners.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Vasinger, I once had a friend here in Texas from Virginia. I've lost track of her but I've always wanted to visit. Virginia is a gorgeous place and steeped in so much history.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Kudzu has spread as far as East Texas. Oh, yes, bbq in all its glorious forms in the South! Whether it's pork or brisket of which Texas has both. I've noticed that sweet tea is making a comeback in Dallas. I'm glad of that. It's always been here but was getting harder to find as the city kept growing.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
What do you think of Virginia? Can we past the test? We have kudzu here and really do relish BBQ and sweet tea.

But I have met some folks from the Deep South who think we're Northerners.
Naw, I don't consider Va. to be yankee. Virginia is kind of odd. Parts of it, for example northern Va./DC area have many yankee tendencies, while other parts of the state, like southwest Va. are more southern. As for passing the test, oooh, I'm not so sure about that......I think that the northern Va/DC yankificiation lifestyle has ruined your alls southern status. But, that's just my opinion and it ain't worth .02 cents.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
Naw, I don't consider Va. to be yankee. Virginia is kind of odd. Parts of it, for example northern Va./DC area have many yankee tendencies, while other parts of the state, like southwest Va. are more southern. As for passing the test, oooh, I'm not so sure about that......I think that the northern Va/DC yankificiation lifestyle has ruined your alls southern status. But, that's just my opinion and it ain't worth .02 cents.
Which is kinda interesting.

When you think of Virginia, what comes to your mind first?

Northern Virginia/D.C. or the other parts of Virginia which are more of the traditional view of the state?

Northern Virginia is such a small part of Virginia geographically, but has the area now changed the perception of the whole entire state that it once held?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

When I think of Virginia, the first thing that comes to my mind is southwest VA. near the Abingdon area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City