Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,347,298 times

Advertisements

Florida is entirely Dixie. it was already a well-established Dixie state when quote-on-quote "yankees" decided to high-tail their butts down to it. Florida may be more Caribbean than Southern, but to call it Yankee is just RIDICULOUS!!!! First off, does it all of a sudden snow like hell below Orlando? i swear, look hard enough and all of Florida is Southern. Florida is not Yankee, in any way, shape or form. If Florida is yankee, then so is the rest of the South...but obviously we know neither of those two aforementioned things apply.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,780,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Florida is entirely Dixie. it was already a well-established Dixie state when quote-on-quote "yankees" decided to high-tail their butts down to it. Florida may be more Caribbean than Southern, but to call it Yankee is just RIDICULOUS!!!! First off, does it all of a sudden snow like hell below Orlando? i swear, look hard enough and all of Florida is Southern. Florida is not Yankee, in any way, shape or form. If Florida is yankee, then so is the rest of the South...but obviously we know neither of those two aforementioned things apply.
What does snow have to do with being Southern? It snows in the winter in the South- even in the Deep South.

Just because Florida is in the South does not make it "Southern". The northern half is Southern, but the rest is northern.

There's a cultural shift once you get to Orlando. The reason is because South Florida over the last 80 years has been settled by mostly people from New Jersey and New York.

Once again- geography is misleading in the case of Florida.

We could say Mexico is " Southern" because its way down South. But you see, its not.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Well the Northeast isnt the only part of the north there is. There's the upper Midwest. Its not just the east coast that has a north-south divide.

Its really just anyone who is non-Southern. California isn't truly yankee like New England or New York or Chicago, but its outside the demographic South, so therefore its yankee-ish to many Southerners.
I have met people from California and those above the Mason-Dixon Line and my opinion is that they are light years away from each other. When you look at the map to the left of Michigan the idea of Yankee disappears. I don't remember anyone from California saying, "Well, we did it this way where I come from." Probably the reason for that is that in California they do it every which way and are wondering if there is there some other way to try to do anything. I have found the people from all the Western states to be very open to new ideas. Most seem to be live and let live. I love that attitude.

I am almost scared to ask, but I am wondering what some people think Yankee or Northern and Southern mean? I remember seeing maps of Northern and Southern states. I don't remember what they were, but in my mind those are the Northern and Southern states. We jokenly say that Florida is not Southern, because it has so many Northern transplants. Texas is definitely Southern. They have many Southern Belles. The Florida natives I have met are very Southern.

Last edited by NCN; 08-29-2007 at 12:21 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What does snow have to do with being Southern? It snows in the winter in the South- even in the Deep South.

Just because Florida is in the South does not make it "Southern". The northern half is Southern, but the rest is northern.

There's a cultural shift once you get to Orlando. The reason is because South Florida over the last 80 years has been settled by mostly people from New Jersey and New York.

Once again- geography is misleading in the case of Florida.

We could say Mexico is " Southern" because its way down South. But you see, its not.
Look, first off, the snow part was kind of trying to throw some humor on ok? Second off, Florida is so far south that to call it northern is just crazy. Third off, Southern Florida if you go back 50 years was completely Dixie and is still occupied by many Southerners...it just has a heavy population of Northerners and Hispanics now in addition, so its culture has become a mishmash of Northern, Southern, and Caribbean. But there is nothing distinctly Northern about it to me. Florida and the Northeast have little in common, however unique from the rest of the South Florida is. I have 3 friends from Southern Florida who would crack up to the point of tears if people called them Northerners....calling Florida Northern is as ridiculous as calling Maine Southern.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Look, first off, the snow part was kind of trying to throw some humor on ok? Second off, Florida is so far south that to call it northern is just crazy. Third off, Southern Florida if you go back 50 years was completely Dixie and is still occupied by many Southerners...it just has a heavy population of Northerners and Hispanics now in addition, so its culture has become a mishmash of Northern, Southern, and Caribbean. But there is nothing distinctly Northern about it to me. Florida and the Northeast have little in common, however unique from the rest of the South Florida is. I have 3 friends from Southern Florida who would crack up to the point of tears if people called them Northerners....calling Florida Northern is as ridiculous as calling Maine Southern.
yes but see you're missing my point about geography. Florida is most definintely in the South. Yes, I agree. But Florida is not "Southern"- at least not south of Orlando.

There are Southerners in Florida, and your friends might be one of them. But a majority of Southern Florida is very northern in atittude because its largely populated by Northerners.

Once again, as Ive previously stated- Geography does not always indicate culture.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
yes but see you're missing my point about geography. Florida is most definintely in the South. Yes, I agree. But Florida is not "Southern"- at least not south of Orlando.

There are Southerners in Florida, and your friends might be one of them. But a majority of Southern Florida is very northern in atittude because its largely populated by Northerners.

Once again, as Ive previously stated- Geography does not always indicate culture.
In that case, I guess we are basically stating the same thing. So I propose a truce...agreed?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,351,340 times
Quote:
Once again, georgraphy does not always indicate culture. The cultural South really stops at North Florida.

Florida is an ironic state in that the northern half is Southern, while the Southern half is northern.

Im not saying there aren't pockets of Southern in South Florida , but overall its very yankeefied. Miami is about as Southern as New York city.

Northern Florida on the other hand is very Southern as is the panhandle. Jacksonville is right Southern, as is Tallahassee

But Ft. Lauderdale, St. Petersburg, etc -thats all yankee now. Just like Northern Virginia, its largely populated by people from other states or Cubans. Nothing wrong with that, but its sure not southern.
You said all though. This is not true. And to say the south stops at Jacksonville is not true either. There is nothing Yankee about Clewiston. There is nothing Yankee about Pahokee. There is nothing yankee about Ft. Pierce. There is nothing yankee about many parts of Miami AND Ft. Lauderdale. I have family all over Dade and Broward and while there are transplants, the place is still not nearly Yankee. i understand what you were saying as culturally, and I'm still disagreeing with it. Also, Miami has ALOT of southern characteristics. Alot. It shares many qualities with Atlanta. I guess I'm looking at this from the Black American point of view.

I will say if you're not going to call that area Southern, Island is the next best thing. Not Yankee.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You said all though. This is not true. And to say the south stops at Jacksonville is not true either. There is nothing Yankee about Clewiston. There is nothing Yankee about Pahokee. There is nothing yankee about Ft. Pierce. There is nothing yankee about many parts of Miami AND Ft. Lauderdale. I have family all over Dade and Broward and while there are transplants, the place is still not nearly Yankee. i understand what you were saying as culturally, and I'm still disagreeing with it. Also, Miami has ALOT of southern characteristics. Alot. It shares many qualities with Atlanta. I guess I'm looking at this from the Black American point of view.

I will say if you're not going to call that area Southern, Island is the next best thing. Not Yankee.
How in the world can you call Miami Southern? Compared to places like Charleston, Richmond, or Savannah, it really is not Southern at all. Its really very transient and has a strong Cuban Non-Southern influence

Its not Island, either. Its a mix of Northern retirees and Cubans.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the other places in Florida you named-but Miami Southern? No way !!

Oh and Atlanta- ha! Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Yes Atlanta is Southern to a degree,
but when I was in Atlanta it felt slightly Northern to me. It too is very transient and has lost touch with its Southern roots. I guess its all relative.

I dont see what Black/White has to do with this either.

Black Southerners are just like White Southerners IMO. We both like sweet tea, collard greens, grits, etc. We both like a slower pace of life.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,336,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
THE BIGGEST AND MOST REAL YANKEES:
All of the New England states
New York
New Jersey
Pennslvania
Ohio

ALSO YANKEE STATES:
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Ohio is Buckeye, that's as far as it goes. Don't be thinking southern Ohio is no little Dixie or northern Ohio is the northeast. The northeast may still consider itself Yankee, but those days are long gone for Ohio. I don't think any state has as much tension as the Ohio-PA, Ohio-Kentucky border. PSU had people throwing pee on Ohio States band. This is why Columbus burns stuff, and Cincinnati riots, and Cleveland hates everyone an anyone. You also have to understand many Ohioans have felt neglected by the United States for a long time and been unhappy with this country. Much our of state was practically demolished by their big ideas and left to rot away. Our schools fell apart, our cities were decaying and dying all at the same time for many decades. No other states even bothered to help. So if Ohioans don't seem like your type of people, that's probably where they're coming from. Ohio and Michigan bared most of the brunt for the economy shifting to a global economy. Ohio has barely leveled off and Michigan is still slipping away. Both states have huge minority populations and its like the rest of the country doesn't care about us because of that or something. Then Ohio has always had to contend with a very heavy mafia presence in its cities. Ive have seen a lot of hate out there for Ohio. So I like to withdraw myself from state talk, or regions, or even the United States talk a lot of times. I try to get away from the Yankees in the south for the most part for different reasons. Ive made quite a few friends from NYC, but nowhere else in the northeast. So outside of NYC, im trying to get away from the Yankees in the south just as the southerners are. I have honestly never met a person from NYC I didn't feel comfortable around though, or felt like they looked down on me.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-29-2007 at 02:28 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,351,340 times
Quote:
How in the world can you call Miami Southern? Compared to places like Charleston, Richmond, or Savannah, it really is not Southern at all. Its really very transient and has a strong Cuban Non-Southern influence
I didn't say Miami is southern. I said they have many characteristics. Speaking from a black perspective. They do the same things in Miami that they do in Atlanta, New Orleans, Birmingham, and other places in the south.
Quote:
Its not Island, either. Its a mix of Northern retirees and Cubans.
Miami has one of the larger West and East Indies, central American, and South American population in the United States. Northern Retirees do not make up the majority of Dade County. There is a large Jamaican, Bahamian, Trinidadian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc. population. When you travel down NW 27th ave or Miami Gardens Drive which is NW 183rd or NW 79th in Dade County, that is all you are going to see. Not Northern Retirees.

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the other places in Florida you named-but Miami Southern? No way !!
again, I didn't say Miami was southern.

Quote:
Oh and Atlanta- ha! Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Yes Atlanta is Southern to a degree,
but when I was in Atlanta it felt slightly Northern to me. It too is very transient and has lost touch with its Southern roots. I guess its all relative.
Then it comes to the question, what is southern?While I do agree that Atlanta has become transient place to live, Atlanta is still no doubt a southern city. Out of the 4 major southern cities in the south which are Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta. Atlanta is the city that still has more of it's southern charms than the other 3 by far.

Quote:
I dont see what Black/White has to do with this either.
Black Southerners are just like White Southerners IMO. We both like sweet tea, collard greens, grits, etc. We both like a slower pace of life.
Black Southerners ldo different things. Period. Blacks in Miami , New Orleans, and Atlanta like to drive box chevy's sitting high. Many blacks in those three cities wear dreads with gold teeth that can only be found in the south as far as the United States go. You will rarely see whites do those things. Yes, blacks and whites do similar things, but they also do things differently as well. Also, Miami eats all of things you just named. I know, I have family down there and that's all they cooked and been cooking for decades. Fish and grits is a delicacy that can be found in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City