Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
LOL, its about time you came back to respond to me. I'm glad you decided to be a little "snitch" instead of standing up for yourself when no aggression was directed towards you. If it bothers you self-esteem so much, I'll remove it. I'm sure the original poster doesn't care. Insults like these are common to make, I don't have to settle all my disputes over a cup of Starbucks, brah.

Who said anything about trailers? I'm pretty sure trailers are the NJ equilivant of a housing project. Also, housing is cheap compared to NJ standards. I can get 4bed/2.5 bath brick 08+ construction with 0.5 acres for 210-300k. here.

School systems: Why the heck would I send my child to most districts in the state? I grew up in private schools which are very good and affordable here. I don't rely on government to provide education.

Obesity: Yes, there are obese people, generally in the rural areas due to poverty/greasy food in these areas. Credited. Doesn't mean everyone is a monster like you'd think.

Divorce rates: Wrong. Divorce Rates by State, 1990–2005 — Infoplease.com You can tell that it is a national problem.

Early Marriage: Not sure on the stats. on this. However, early marriage, with kids in the picture is better than no marriage at all, imo.

and the list goes on: Continue on your pointless tyrade against all things Deep South in the United States. Its bedtime for me. I've got many exciting things to do in my life in the Deep South.

Why is early marriage with kids better than none at all? I always keep forgetting that there are actually people still in this country that believe in this 1880 conservative Little House on the Praire B.S.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 04-28-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM

136 posts, read 266,949 times
People still say "Yankee" when not referring to a baseball team? Whodathunkit.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
sometimes you got to just kick back and widdle some.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
People still say "Yankee" when not referring to a baseball team? Whodathunkit.
Yeah...people need to realize it's been years since the civil war

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
I'd say the quintessential Yankee region is Northeastern Vermont. Lots of people think that "Yankee" means urban northeastern but I grew up in several New England states and true Yankees are more rural.

Old time Vermonters on a whole are frugal, honest, modest, reserved, community-minded, independent and well-connected with the land. This is the true Yankee ethos.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'd say the quintessential Yankee region is Northeastern Vermont. Lots of people think that "Yankee" means urban northeastern but I grew up in several New England states and true Yankees are more rural.

Old time Vermonters on a whole are frugal, honest, modest, reserved, community-minded, independent and well-connected with the land. This is the true Yankee ethos.
I would agree with this.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

I mostly agree with this, but I'd change it from Vermont to Maine. Vermont tends to be full of hippie-dippie Woodstock reject types of senior citizens, and the French-Canadian influence is heavier in Vermont than most other states. In Maine it's heavy also but not as much as the old, Anglo, WASP, YANKEE tradition.

But "Yankee" means a New Englander, basically. Even Connecticut. Remember the book, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"???

A lot of the world will call all Americans "Yanks", short for Yankees obviously. I don't mind. Southerners will call us "Yankees", and I don't get bent out of shape about it.

But the fact is that New York and NJ are not "Yankee" states. We're mid-Atlantic states. Those of us from these areas in NJ and downstate NY and eastern PA are metropolitan people. NJ is the only state where every area is considered a METROPOLITAN Statistical area and there are no RURAL statistical areas, even though we have areas that are considered "rural" by most definitions.

So, we are METROPOLITANS, or METS for short.

We are not "Yankees".

Someone asked in an earlier post in this thread, "Well then why are there the New York Yankees baseball team???" The reason is simple. They were originally the BOSTON Yankees, and that makes sense since Boston is the capital of New England, which is where all the Yankees live. When the team moved to NY, they kept the name. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense that the Jazz kept their team name when they moved from New Orleans to Utah. But they did. So that's how it is.

The "New York Yankees" is a fake name that doesn't represent the people of the area, just like a lot of their fans are fake front-running fans.

Those in the New York Metropolitan area are Metropolitans, or Mets.

http://speckoftheweb.com/Mets/images/mets_logo.gif (broken link)

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default Hey I like the Mets too but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I mostly agree with this, but I'd change it from Vermont to Maine. Vermont tends to be full of hippie-dippie Woodstock reject types of senior citizens, and the French-Canadian influence is heavier in Vermont than most other states. In Maine it's heavy also but not as much as the old, Anglo, WASP, YANKEE tradition.

But "Yankee" means a New Englander, basically. Even Connecticut. Remember the book, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"???

A lot of the world will call all Americans "Yanks", short for Yankees obviously. I don't mind. Southerners will call us "Yankees", and I don't get bent out of shape about it.

But the fact is that New York and NJ are not "Yankee" states. We're mid-Atlantic states. Those of us from these areas in NJ and downstate NY and eastern PA are metropolitan people. NJ is the only state where every area is considered a METROPOLITAN Statistical area and there are no RURAL statistical areas, even though we have areas that are considered "rural" by most definitions.

So, we are METROPOLITANS, or METS for short.

We are not "Yankees".

Someone asked in an earlier post in this thread, "Well then why are there the New York Yankees baseball team???" The reason is simple. They were originally the BOSTON Yankees, and that makes sense since Boston is the capital of New England, which is where all the Yankees live. When the team moved to NY, they kept the name. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense that the Jazz kept their team name when they moved from New Orleans to Utah. But they did. So that's how it is.

The "New York Yankees" is a fake name that doesn't represent the people of the area, just like a lot of their fans are fake front-running fans.

Those in the New York Metropolitan area are Metropolitans, or Mets.

The Yankees actually started in Baltimore before moving to New York. Also the word Yankee comes from the Dutch (Jan Kees) who were making fun of back woods farmers in New Netherlands and later in the New Haven Colony (now part of Connecticut). Neither Vermont or Maine even existed back in the 1600s. So modern Connecticut is probably the original Yankee "heartland".

Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Also, orginially it was never intended that Yankees are only Protestants. Most of the early settlers were of course, but a Jewish frontier settler living in a Yankee village would have been considered a Yankee also.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The Yankees actually started in Baltimore before moving to New York. Also the word Yankee comes from the Dutch (Jan Kees) who were making fun of back woods farmers in New Netherlands and later in the New Haven Colony (now part of Connecticut).
I knew that the word was Dutch in origin. But I think this is ironic and a little funny if a rural Southerner calls anyone outside the South a "yankee". Who's the true Yank (well, that's our nickname to the world so we all are)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City