Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Florida (everything south of Interstate 4
I don't think so. You try going to Clewiston, Belle Glade, Immokalee, Ft. Meyers and tell me that it's "Yankee." You will be severly disappointed.

Keep in mind, I also hate the term as well. I would hope it starts to vanish as well since we're not in the 1800s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,777,221 times
Vasinger, I can only hope what you say about DC remains true in the next 20 years as Yankees pour into the region from Long Island and Westchester. So many of the old-timers here are friendly in DC and the suburbs, but the transplants are just so different. I miss the small Maryland town I grew up in, which now is a booming suburb. This is where a lot of the bitterness me and some of my friends have toward northerners and Californians stems from, seeing them destroy our hometowns. (my cousins are from Idaho and Boise was ruined by Californians.) I hope DC never loses the southern feel, same with parts of Baltimore though the depressing feel of Bmore is very northern to me.

Though while I hate Yankees I only dislike Californians. Both kinds of people are rude, pushy and aggressive and snobby but at least Californians don't look down on the SOuth and Midwest as if we're scum.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think so. You try going to Clewiston, Belle Glade, Immokalee, Ft. Meyers and tell me that it's "Yankee." You will be severly disappointed.

Keep in mind, I also hate the term as well. I would hope it starts to vanish as well since we're not in the 1800s.
Sorry, wasn't thinking those places. I was thinking more Naples, Fort Lauderdale, Winter Park, Palm Beach, etc etc. The places overrun with snobby northern retirees.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 PM

When I talk about my distaste for the North that definition is limited to the Northeast, not the Upper Midwest, not even Chicago. Chicago just doesn't have that arrogant, uppity, out of touch image that NY or Boston has. People in the Northeast looks down on the Midwest as much as they do on the South. Hence the term "flyover country".....I believe that term was invented by Yankees, not Californians.

Plus all the "east coast vs. west coast" thing is very arrogant, as if the Midwest and the South did not exist!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,776,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
COMPLETELY YANKEE
New York
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine

PARTIALLY YANKEE
Maryland (Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and their suburbs)
Pennsylvania (the Philly area only)
Virginia (Northern Virginia only)
Florida (everything south of Interstate 4...that cliche is true about in Florida you have to go north to go south LOL)

I don't use this term too much but when I say I don't like "northerners" I mean those from the above list. The Maryland and Virginia thing there is due to transplants from the NYC area. I especially hate people from the rich snobby New York City suburbs, though not really the city itself. 20 years ago, none of MD or VA would be Yankee.

Is Texas realy a southern state? Isn't it more Southwestern especially toward Dallas? Isn't El Paso and San ANtonio basically part of Mexico? I've met Texans who say Cancun and Acapulco are more American than El Paso.
I'd add the Chapel Hill Triangle area of North Carolina to that "partly Yankee" list as well. That place is just like NOVA, even worse if you can imagine that.
Charlotte and Atlanta could be described as partly yankee too, although I guess they aren't as close to the border as NOVA.
And everything about Pennsylvania is Yankee. Southern PA may not be quite as Yankee, but its different than the DC suburbs even.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Vasinger, I can only hope what you say about DC remains true in the next 20 years as Yankees pour into the region from Long Island and Westchester. So many of the old-timers here are friendly in DC and the suburbs, but the transplants are just so different. I miss the small Maryland town I grew up in, which now is a booming suburb. This is where a lot of the bitterness me and some of my friends have toward northerners and Californians stems from, seeing them destroy our hometowns. (my cousins are from Idaho and Boise was ruined by Californians.) I hope DC never loses the southern feel, same with parts of Baltimore though the depressing feel of Bmore is very northern to me.

Though while I hate Yankees I only dislike Californians. Both kinds of people are rude, pushy and aggressive and snobby but at least Californians don't look down on the SOuth and Midwest as if we're scum.
I know what you mean about Baltimore feeling northern. It was always a more northeastern city, but it also had a smattering of southern to it. Not any more.

But DC- gosh, you come in off towards the city from the Beltway and see the beautiful Washington Monument and the Greek Revival architecture and you think- how can anyone think this town is anything but Southern? Its really not at all like Boston, NY, or Philly. It has that sunnier, warmer feel.

I could call DC Mid-Atlantic even, but never Northeast.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,893,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Um, I have disagree there. People from Chiacago, Cleveland, Detroit, are all yankees IMO. Of course there's nothing wrong with it

Its just really they are part of the northern culture. Most all of the midwest is part of the Northern culture. The very southern tips of midwestern states- esp Indiana and Illinois may have some southern-midwestern flavor, but for the most part the Mason Dixon Line runs though all those areas.

I must continue to disagree because the midwest has a completely different feeling and culture than "yankee" Northeast. Alot of southerners simply adopted the term yankee for any Northerner but it is just not the case. Anyone from Ohio to Michigan to Minnesota will at best just look at you funny if you call them a yankee.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Sorry I have to disgaree. Any place in Florida south of Orlando is yankee.

Geography doesn't always indicate culture. The Deep South really ends at Jacksonville.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I must continue to disagree because the midwest has a completely different feeling and culture than "yankee" Northeast. Alot of southerners simply adopted the term yankee for any Northerner but it is just not the case. Anyone from Ohio to Michigan to Minnesota will at best just look at you funny if you call them a yankee.
But people form Chicago, Cleveland, Detriot, etc are very yankee to me. And I dont mean it as insult. I realize the Midwest is not the same as the Northeast, but that doesnt mean its not Northern in culture.

Look at Hilary Clinton. Shes from the midwest and shes the eptiome of a yankee.

When you get the southern tips of the midwestern states they are not as yankee as the middle and upper midwest.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM

151 posts, read 737,066 times
THE BIGGEST AND MOST REAL YANKEES:
All of the New England states
New York
New Jersey
Pennslvania
Ohio

ALSO YANKEE STATES:
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Last edited by TerrySRA; 08-28-2007 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Add the biggest Yankees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City