U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 AM

9,800 posts, read 10,951,932 times
Default What states do you personally consider "yankee"?

This is a question I am really interested in seeing how people in different parts of the country view it. That is: What states -- if any -- do you personally consider to be "yankee." And too, if applicable, who exactly ARE "yankees."

A little preface first.

As a native Texan and Southerner, it is a common term down here. I hasten to add it may or may NOT be used in a derogatory manner. Often times, it has no more insulting connotation than calling someone "Red" or 'Blondie" would be because of their hair color. Sometimes it can even be used in a friendly, jocular way (for instance, I have a good friend from Kansas to whom I will sometimes say things like "you damn yankee, you don't know what the hell you are talking about." LOL).

This is something I am really wondering about. My own experience is that Southerners tend to define yankee as being those not from the South, while most of the rest of the country views it as those from the northeast. Those in the northeast may or may not apply the label to themselves.

Since I started it, here is my own definition:

Wellll, ACTUALLY, it would probably be easier to list the states I DON'T consider yankee! LOL

In IMHO, the NON-yankee states are the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky, Oklahoma and West Virginia. Also, Missouri, New Mexico and Arizona, while not Southern, don't really fit the definition. Several other western states like Nevada, Utah, Colorado, sorta "straddle" the borerline. What I would consider the "hardcore" yankee states are those that were absolutely Union during the "Civil War." Particularly the northeast/New England.

So far as on an individual level, birthplace and parentage can matter. For instance, a native Texan or Mississippian or Virginian can relocate to Chicago, but naturally they are not yankees.

Anyway, again, I am really curious and interested as to how others see it.

BTW -- very important. PLEASE state on your post where you are from and where you live now (if one is different from the other), as that will have a lot of bearing on the issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
who exactly ARE "yankees."
Only the best baseball team in the world

When I hear people refer to someone as a Yank, I think it most represents one from Connecticut, Rhode Island or Massachusetts.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM

13,380 posts, read 14,401,841 times
Depends on where you are at. If you are overseas, then all of us including Southerners are considered Yankees.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM

86 posts, read 349,662 times
I think its most easily defined in the east, basically any state above Virginia. Then it gets harder to define as you go West.

Like is someone from Seattle a Yankee to someone from LA? I dont think so

As someone from the Northeast, someone from Kansas to me is definitely not a Yankee but I guess its relative to your location. To me the Yankee label kind of becomes silly to use West of Chicago so basically any where in the Rust-belt.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 AM

5,627 posts, read 9,983,039 times
I have no idea why "Yankee" is still a word outside the context of baseball. This isn't 1800.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,593,845 times
I only know "yankee' as my least favorite baseball team and the magazine my grandmother used to subscribe to (I am the proud owner of of few of their cookbooks).

Beyond that? Fugetaboutit

Oh, and TexasReb - I was born and raised right here in Chicago but most of my family is originally from the northeast coast (where restaurants will actually advertise "classic yankee cooking" on their signs), etc. which is why it was a shock to me when I first heard the word used in a derogatory manner.

Last edited by j33; 08-26-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,715,061 times
I'd consider some parts of Maryland and Delaware to be Southern even though they were part of the union. I have a friend who grew up in a rural area of Maryland and he has a definitive southern drawl.

I usually think of anything to the northeast of Pennsylvania as being a "yankee" state, however I guess those states in the midwest like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois should be included as well.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,343,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I have no idea why "Yankee" is still a word outside the context of baseball. This isn't 1800.
Ditto, but I'll play along.

If we're going to judging by a state level, I'd say any state north of Virginia and Kentucky. If we weren't going by state, I'd say there are lots of little outliers of Yankeeness and Dixieness located out of their respective geographical regions.

And I'm from Virginia.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,707,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a question I am really interested in seeing how people in different parts of the country view it. That is: What states -- if any -- do you personally consider to be "yankee." And too, if applicable, who exactly ARE "yankees."

A little preface first.

As a native Texan and Southerner, it is a common term down here. I hasten to add it may or may NOT be used in a derogatory manner. Often times, it has no more insulting connotation than calling someone "Red" or 'Blondie" would be because of their hair color. Sometimes it can even be used in a friendly, jocular way (for instance, I have a good friend from Kansas to whom I will sometimes say things like "you damn yankee, you don't know what the hell you are talking about." LOL).

This is something I am really wondering about. My own experience is that Southerners tend to define yankee as being those not from the South, while most of the rest of the country views it as those from the northeast. Those in the northeast may or may not apply the label to themselves.

Since I started it, here is my own definition:

Wellll, ACTUALLY, it would probably be easier to list the states I DON'T consider yankee! LOL

In IMHO, the NON-yankee states are the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky, Oklahoma and West Virginia. Also, Missouri, New Mexico and Arizona, while not Southern, don't really fit the definition. Several other western states like Nevada, Utah, Colorado, sorta "straddle" the borerline. What I would consider the "hardcore" yankee states are those that were absolutely Union during the "Civil War." Particularly the northeast/New England.

So far as on an individual level, birthplace and parentage can matter. For instance, a native Texan or Mississippian or Virginian can relocate to Chicago, but naturally they are not yankees.

Anyway, again, I am really curious and interested as to how others see it.

BTW -- very important. PLEASE state on your post where you are from and where you live now (if one is different from the other), as that will have a lot of bearing on the issue!

How is West Virginia not a Yankee state. We left the state of Virginia when they succeeded from the union. So in my opinion WV is a Yankee state. We wanted to be a part of the union not of the confederacy. We didn't have the similar economic interests that the confederate states had, i.e. bettering their tobacco, cotton, peach farms. True that West Virginia was said to have brother fighting against brother during the civil war. But generally it seems that southern WV if anything seemed to be confederate or rebel than the rest of the state. Northern WV was all Yankee. This is all IMO though

Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,246,720 times
To me a Yankee is really attitude.

Most yankees talk and act different. But I don't mind that at all.

They make life interesting and really help us out when they spend money touring places like Colonial Williamsburg or Nashville, TN.

There are people I know from Kansas, and parts of the southern midwestern states that are much more southern than yankee.

Yes, I guess a northerner could have southern attitude in them, but I guess they are a southern yankee, lol

But by the strict definition- A yankee is anyone from above the Mason-Dixon line- or non Southern areas like California etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City