Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM

221 posts, read 484,698 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both cities, and I'd say Rittenhouse Square and Dupont Circle are both equivalent. Both neighborhoods are very densely populated, very upscale, and both have a very popular park right in the middle with plenty of trees and benches and a beautiful water fountain right in the center. I actually spent lots of time in both of these parks. It seems that both parks are pretty crowded during the day in the warm seasons, and both have very interesting people hanging out there. Both seem to attract diverse crowds as well. You'll find the same kinds of stuff going on in both of these parks (people playing chess, laying on the grass and relaxing [or sun bathing], sitting on the benches, sitting around the fountains, taking pictures of the fountains, walking through or around the park, playing on their laptops, eating their meals, and so forth). Dupont Circle had always reminded me alot of Rittenhouse Square. What's interesting and ironic, is that Dupont Circle has traditionally been known as the center of the gay community in Washington, D.C., but Rittenhouse Square was also the center of the Philadelphia gay community back in the day (I know that honor now goes to Washington Square West [with Gayborhood], but Rittenhouse Square had more history with the gay community prior to that).

I like both neighborhoods and parks, but I don't know, I think I'd give the slight edge to Rittenhouse Square. One difference, is that Dupont Circle also has alot of nightlife (with several nightclubs south of the circle down Connecticut Avenue) while Rittenhouse Square has more fine dining. Beyond the park, you'll probably find more white collar professionals hanging out in Rittenhouse Square, while Dupont Circle will probably have more of the younger college or post-collegiate crowd hanging at the bars and night clubs and eating at the late night food joints. Dupont Circle is definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods in Washington, D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Two great urban areas in the US, cant go wrong with either. Personally I prefer Rittenhouse, but I live here so I may be partila. I lived in DC and spent much time in Dupont and find your descriptions fairly accurate. To me the big difference is in the close by dining amentities and probably the shopping accesible, both in favor of Rittenhouse. Both have a lot of nighlife in the neighborhood, I also find Rittenhouse actually getting younger all the time, especially on weekends these days.

Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

Living On Rittenhouse Square in downtown Philadelphia - YouTube

Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Two great urban areas in the US, cant go wrong with either. Personally I prefer Rittenhouse, but I live here so I may be partila. I lived in DC and spent much time in Dupont and find your descriptions fairly accurate. To me the big difference is in the close by dining amentities and probably the shopping accesible, both in favor of Rittenhouse. Both have a lot of nighlife in the neighborhood, I also find Rittenhouse actually getting younger all the time, especially on weekends these days.

Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

Living On Rittenhouse Square in downtown Philadelphia - YouTube
Definitely agree on the fine dining and shopping in favor of Rittenhouse Square right now. This will be a better comparison when all the new high end shopping coming to the Golden Triangle is in. The behind the scenes conversation from high end retailers to move into the new Connecticut Ave. corridor is very impressive from what Im hearing. This corridor is on the verge of being D.C.'s 5th Ave. very soon. Until that happens, Rittenhouse definitely wins on the upscale shopping and dining.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
It's not entirely a fair comparison since I've only visited Dupont Circle once or twice, but I lived in three different apartments very near to Rittenhouse Square. But I am going with Rittenhouse Square. I think that visually the area is more pleasant than Dupont Circle. I do like Dupont Circle. One advantage it might have is more funky shops, more of a vibe like Philadelphia's South Street (or at least an older South Street that I remember), or that's what it was like to me when I visited a while ago.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
It's not entirely a fair comparison since I've only visited Dupont Circle once or twice, but I lived in three different apartments very near to Rittenhouse Square. But I am going with Rittenhouse Square. I think that visually the area is more pleasant than Dupont Circle. I do like Dupont Circle. One advantage it might have is more funky shops, more of a vibe like Philadelphia's South Street (or at least an older South Street that I remember), or that's what it was like to me when I visited a while ago.
That's exactly what came to my mind later on when I was thinking about these two neighborhoods. The stretch of Connecticut Ave. North of the park is interesting. I use to hang out at that Starbuck's (the one on Conn. Ave., right on the edge of the circle) quite often 4 years ago when I lived in the D.C. area. I remember going in an independent book store about a block or so North on Connecticut Ave., and in the rear of the book store, there was actually a bar (that's right, a real bar) on the left half of the rear, and a sit-down restaurant (hostess and all) on the right. It was the first time I had ever saw anything like that (and I don't recall seeing anything like that ever since ). That part of Dupont Circle is fairly ecclectic. The southern part of Dupont Circle, however, is more mainstream (with all the dance clubs like Club 5, and the bars, and Fuddruckers, and so forth). If I ever move back to Washington, D.C., Dupont Circle will definitely be my hang out spot again. Very cool neighborhood! I just don't think I could live in that neighborhood, as much as I would want to (too expensive).

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Rittenhouse Square has actually become a victim of its own success. What was once a pleasant relatively obscure treasure has turned into a zoo for posers,hipsters and wannabe glamasaurases.

I rarely visit any more. I find Washington Square and Fitler Square much more enjoyable.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Rittenhouse Square has actually become a victim of its own success. What was once a pleasant relatively obscure treasure has turned into a zoo for posers,hipsters and wannabe glamasaurases.

I rarely visit any more. I find Washington Square and Fitler Square much more enjoyable.
Yes, I like Washington Square as well. I hung out in Washington Square many times when I was in Philly, and it has a really nice vibe to it (very laid-back). Ofcourse, Washington Square is pretty much (not directly) behind Independence Hall and in a very historic area (Society Hill, even though Washington Square is a separate neighborhood), so there's very nice colonial scenery.

I never even heard of Fitler Square until I read your post. I looked up Fitler Square on google maps, and it looks like a really nice area. I wish I knew about Fitler when I was in Philadelphia. Oh well... Those parks we're talking about are the kind of parks I prefer (good size parks with benches and side walks and large fountains in the middle and plenty of green space and trees, right in the middle of very dense neighborhoods and surrouded by residential, commercial, and hospitality/entertainment venues). I think these are some of the best urban parks (frankly, these would be what I consider real urban parks) in the country, and Philly really sets the example. Washington D.C. has some nice parks like this (such as Dupont Circle, even Washington Circle over in Foggy Bottom right by the George Washington University hospital), but Philly is really ontop in ths category.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
glamasaurases
Thank you for introducing me to this word.

Yeah, I don't know, Rittenhouse Square does seem to have gotten a lot more crowded by the first decade of this century than it was when I used to hang out there as a college kid back in the 80s, for sure. I still think it has a lot going for it. But was it really ever obscure? Maybe that was before I ever spent much time on my own in Philadelphia. My parents both grew up in Philadelphia, so I'm sure I also take for granted knowing about a lot of stuff in the city that might not be so widely known.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 123,529 times
I prefer Rittenhouse Sq., but I don't care much about both of them to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City