Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Long Beach has the second busiest port in the nation, and blows Tampa away in density and diversity. The crime rate is noticeably lower as well. Long Beach finished 11th among walkable U.S. cities, Tampa did not crack the top 50.
Yes, and those are just a few things that LB beats Tampa in. What I was saying is, Tampa has things that LB doesn't have do to where LB is. Tampa has it's own pro sports teams. Very nice museums, theme-parks, multiple tourist districts, it's own trolley system, etc, etc. LB is a beast though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'd have to agree with you. Tampa is a sleepier city than Long Beach.
Is it? Neither city strikes me as sleepy towns.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post

I will admit that part of what drives me to say Long Beach offers more than Tampa is because of Long Beach's proximity to all the stuff you have access to in greater Los Angeles. The amount of stuff is mind-boggling. Within Long Beach on its own, though, the argument could be made that Tampa offers more. I'd definitely rather live in Long Beach though given its better location. Also, Long Beach offers a lot as well... it's not like we're talking about a cowtown here.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Yes, and those are just a few things that LB beats Tampa in. What I was saying is, Tampa has things that LB doesn't have do to where LB is. Tampa has it's own pro sports teams. Very nice museums, theme-parks, multiple tourist districts, it's own trolley system, etc, etc. LB is a beast though.
Gotcha, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I will admit that part of what drives me to say Long Beach offers more than Tampa is because of Long Beach's proximity to all the stuff you have access to in greater Los Angeles. The amount of stuff is mind-boggling. Within Long Beach on its own, though, the argument could be made that Tampa offers more. I'd definitely rather live in Long Beach though given its better location. Also, Long Beach offers a lot as well... it's not like we're talking about a cowtown here.
Yes, Long Beach has plenty to do in it's own right. It's far from a Cowtown. It's larger than Miami even, has it's own international airport, has one of the most diverse populations in the US, museums, cool neighborhoods etc, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
I've never been to Tampa but I would say LBC is somewhat similar to Ft. Lauderdale

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,024 times
Quote:
tampa is quite a sleepy town, unless you're referring to going shopping in any 1 of the 3 billion strip malls we have.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I've never been to Tampa but I would say LBC is somewhat similar to Ft. Lauderdale
Haha, that's exactly what I've been saying for a WHILE. LBC reminds me more of FTL than anything else. Both of them being large cities in the shadows of their larger more popular neighbors(Miami and Los Angeles).

Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
Quote:
Haha, that's exactly what I've been saying for a WHILE. LBC reminds me more of FTL than anything else. Both of them being large cities in the shadows of their larger more popular neighbors(Miami and Los Angeles).
I also thought of Long Beach as being Los Angeles' version of Fort Lauderdale. A large city in its own right (large enough to have an international airport that is a viable alternative to the one in the main city), both boasting major seaports, but overshadowed by the main city to the point that it isn't viewed as a true "twin city" (i.e. St. Paul, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Petersburg).

Difference being Fort Lauderdale IMO is more of a vacation destination than Long Beach. And is the beach in Long Beach a major attaction? I get the feeling from SoCal locals that places like Santa Monica and Huntington Beach are more popular beach destinations than Long Beach.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I also thought of Long Beach as being Los Angeles' version of Fort Lauderdale. A large city in its own right (large enough to have an international airport that is a viable alternative to the one in the main city), both boasting major seaports, but overshadowed by the main city to the point that it isn't viewed as a true "twin city" (i.e. St. Paul, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Petersburg).

Difference being Fort Lauderdale IMO is more of a vacation destination than Long Beach. And is the beach in Long Beach a major attaction? I get the feeling from SoCal locals that places like Santa Monica and Huntington Beach are more popular beach destinations than Long Beach.
I'll just say this: I have lived in LA, Orange and San Diego Counties all my life. I had driven Ocean Blvd in Long Beach hundreds, maybe thousands of times. I was not positive there was a sandy beach below those bluffs until after l moved to Long Beach, about 2 blocks away. So, to answer your question, no, not so much.

The beach sits inside the port, receives bilge from the cargo ships and runoff from the LA river, which is trapped inside the breakwater, which limits the ocean tidal and wave activity. So the flotsam gets trapped. The water quality has improved since the 1970’s, but I would never go in above my waist. It is a fairly pretty beach, and the strand makes for a nice bike ride to either downtown LB, or to Belmont Shore. Seal and Huntington Beaches to the South are cleaner, even though they get a lot of mess via long-shore drift. Torrance Beach to the north is a about as clean a beach as there is in LA County, and is beautiful and really mellow.

Local groups, from real estate interests to Surf-Rider Foundation, have been pressing for the removal of the breakwater, which originally had been constructed to prevents Japanese submarines from entering LA/LB harbor in WWII. The Army Corp was slated to study the impact of the removal, but that was tabled last year because of budgetary pressure. Its amazing we could quarry all that rock, engineer and construct the thing so quickly back then, but it is taking us generations to undo it. Its says a lot about our society, but I digress.

Anyway, I love Long Beach, but that’s where the Fort Lauderdale thing falls apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City