Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In what city's slums do you feel safest?
Chicago/Gary area 1 2.17%
Baltimore 0 0%
Detroit/Inktown area 2 4.35%
Miami/Homestead area 2 4.35%
New Orleans 1 2.17%
New York City (Brooklyn, Bronx, Harlem, etc...) 17 36.96%
Los Angeles/Compton/Long Beach/etc... 4 8.70%
Philadelphia/Camden 1 2.17%
St. Louis/East St. Louis 0 0%
Kansas City/Leavenworth 3 6.52%
Atlanta/Dekalb/So. Fulton 4 8.70%
Washington DC/PG County 2 4.35%
Memphis 1 2.17%
Las Vegas 6 13.04%
San Francisco/Oakland Bay area 8 17.39%
Cleveland 2 4.35%
Cincinnati 4 8.70%
Newark/Jersey area 2 4.35%
Dallas/Ft. Worth 4 8.70%
El Paso/Juarez 3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,722,292 times

Advertisements

We always ask "Where is most dangerous," "where is most ghetto," etc...
I'm not interested in that. Those just tell me where to stay away from!

I want to know, if I had to find myself around a slum, in which slum do you feel safest?

THROW ALL STATISTICS AND NUMBERS OUT THE WINDOW!!! I SAID WHERE DO YOU FEEL SAFEST. That's all about your opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,152,051 times
I haven't been to many of those cities, but Houston's ghettos feel like a walk in the park compared to others.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,747,104 times
All these places have good and bad parts where someone might feel more or less safe. This is way too general to provide a specific answer.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,637,119 times
The only ghettos that ever stuck out to me were in East St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, and the North side of Miami.

The others are the same. Every city has its bad areas.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,786,891 times
I lived in a pretty rough part of Oakland for six months in '07, corner of San Pablo and Mead. It was an interesting experience to say the least, and one I'd prefer to never rehash.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM

159 posts, read 316,027 times
Uh. None of the above?
The question is very widespread - but I think I get what you're asking.
The only city who's ghettos I am even remotely familiar(and by ghetto I mean "in the process of gentrifying", I don't think I've set foot in the most dangerous areas) is Philly's. If I had to live in what is typically considered a "dangerous neighborhood", I'd feel safest(though not really safe) in Kensington/fringier areas of Fishtown, or around the Temple area.
In Kens/Fishtown the area is fairly racially diverse, and I would not stick out like a sore thumb - which would liken my chances of becoming a target. Additionally, the violence is concentrated to the drug trade - which is a huge problem and there is still incidences of random violence, but I feel like as long as you isolated yourself from that, you'd have less of a problem.

I go to Temple, and the area on campus is safe. Even directly off campus there are whole blocks of students who have rented houses - I know a few who even live outside these student blocks and while it's not exactly a cakewalk(floodlights, security system, bars on window are necessary), they have not run into problems. I feel like I could deal with this, especially because I know the area fairly well block by block.

Camden, though? Nah. The two areas above are on the rise, albeit slowly - universities are a great way to pump revenue and development into an area, and Fishtown is gentrifying very very rapidly, prices are rising, and people have already spilled over into the fringe areas and Kensington in search of cheaper housing, so it's pretty inevitable that the gentrification will spill over too.

In terms of living in a ghetto/slum period I would avoid some place that had a large gang problem or large instances of random violence - Philly does not really have a gang problem. Though a couple of my friends were riding bikes and were approached by a bunch of teenagers stating they were in a gang and wanted to "race them" for their bikes LOL(hey, that's a lot more polite than the alternative).

Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,211,230 times
Where do I feel the safest? I guess plenty of suburbs and rural areas that I've been to, especially some that are heavily middle to upper class...though there are too many to name (I don't even remember all the names). Basically, the kind of places where violent crime is a rare thing, and where you can leave possessions in the front yard and know they will likely still be there in the morning...which excludes basically all big cities and tons more suburbs/smaller cities.

But, my threshold for relative lack of "safety" is pretty high compared to what i consider the"safest", otherwise I wouldn't be able to live anywhere aside from a shack in the woods with my own personal medical team and bodyguards.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM

20,505 posts, read 33,379,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I haven't been to many of those cities, but Houston's ghettos feel like a walk in the park compared to others.
I always wondered what Houston would look like if they had zoning and their city limits was as large as regular cities. What would 5th Ware and most of Northeast Houston inside the loop look like.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,091,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I always wondered what Houston would look like if they had zoning and their city limits was as large as regular cities. What would 5th Ware and most of Northeast Houston inside the loop look like.
NE Houston looks a mess; I believe 5th Ward didn't look as rustic as it does today back than.I've seen older pictures of it. NE Houston appeared to be more developed. The ghettos of Houston are nothing like what they were years ago [which is great; less crime]. I knew about 5th Ward/Gulfton from personal experience, but I heard 3rd Ward and other parts of SE Houston were bad as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM

20,505 posts, read 33,379,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
NE Houston looks a mess; I believe 5th Ward didn't look as rustic as it does today back than.I've seen older pictures of it. NE Houston appeared to be more developed. The ghettos of Houston are nothing like what they were years ago [which is great; less crime]. I knew about 5th Ward/Gulfton from personal experience, but I heard 3rd Ward and other parts of SE Houston were bad as well.
I remember going to 5th Ward/ and South Park/Sunnyside back in the 90s all the time. They were bad. But they didn't touch Baltimore or DC or New Orleans of that time period. I guess the less density you have, the better it looks. Could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City