Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis Or Mobile
Memphis 20 54.05%
Mobile 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Little Rock and BR have MSA's at 700,000 and 800,000 respectively. Jackson with a MSA of 500,000 is still much closer in amentities to those two than Mobile with a 600,000 CSA.

Any way I agree that Memphis and Mobile may not be the best comparison, but it is what it is. I consider Memphis to be lacking for its size, but hey. What are all of these problems that Memphis has that other similar cities don't?

What amentities does Jackson has that Mobile doesn`t ? And what Amentities does Baton Rouge and Little Rock has that Mobile doesn`t ? Baton Roge has a Large State University.And what what about Jackson and Little Rock ? I have a lot of repsect for these cities and I have been to all but Little Rock.Again your assumption doesn`t make any sense ...I heard Little Rock has nice topography and Jackson has good bones. And even though Little Rock has an 800k CSA with about 6 or 7 counties I have been told that both Mobile and Little Rock feel the same size.Agaian I have never visisted and would love to visit the city it seem interesting

Last edited by PortCity; 11-12-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Like I said Memphis has 1.4 million and it SHOULD offer more.
Like what? What does it lack that its closest peers in the South (Louisville, Richmond, Birmingham, Jacksonville, OKC, etc.) have? What it might lack in certain amenities I think it makes up for in character and culture.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
What amentities does Jackson has that Mobile doesn`t ? And what Amenties does Baton Rouge and Little Rock has that Mobile doesn`t ? Baton Roge has a Large state university.And what what about Jackson and Little Rock ? I have a lot of repsect for these cities and I have been to all but Little Rock.Again your assumption doesn`t make any sense ...
The shopping and dining scenes alone........ and that's not saying much. The Mall of Louisiana in BR actually rivals Wolfchase Galleria in Memphis... Nightlife I can't speak for. Can't really speak for the art/educational scene either. You should make a thread comparing the 3.

The problems of Memphis?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Shopping in BR is better with the mall of Lousiana I can admit that but that`s not a major amentity that`s not a make and break but shopping is better in BR .Shopping in Mobile SUCKS but downtown will soon have full blown retail disctrict on the water front. So we will see how that goes .And dinning option there about a tie in my opinion..

I will admit that memphis does have culture...Memphis feels like it is lacking something it felt more sleepy and laid back compred to the other tier cities...I like the vibe of Memphis and i really enjoyed Belle Street.

And memphis made the 2nd most dangerous list...

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
What amentities does Jackson has that Mobile doesn`t ? And what Amentities does Baton Rouge and Little Rock has that Mobile doesn`t ? Baton Roge has a Large State University.And what what about Jackson and Little Rock ? I have a lot of repsect for these cities and I have been to all but Little Rock.Again your assumption doesn`t make any sense ...I heard Little Rock has nice topography and Jackson has good bones. And even though Little Rock has an 800k CSA with about 6 or 7 counties I have been told that both Mobile and Little Rock feel the same size.Agaian I have never visisted and would love to visit the city it seem interesting
That's easy, Little Rock is the largest and capital city in Arkansas, so is Jackson, most operations are focused/based in those cities so it will offer more compared to the 2nd largest metro for a smaller city. I do like Mobile though, beautiful city and surroundings. Sorry to get off topic..

Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Hmmm I guess lol..I never been to Little Rock and have heard great things but I have been to Jackson on several occasions and not feeling the ammentities part but hey that`s how you guys feel so you are entitled to it.

Any who Memphis 1.4 million Vs Mobile 600k (two county) metro.....

Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
The question is, what ammenities does Mobile have? I opened this thread based on that curiosity. Being a Gulf Coast port city, is it anything like New Orleans (like a New Orleans lite) or better compared with some other southern city? I'll being driving across country roadtrip in late winter and was thinking about going further south and picking up I-10 to go across, perhaps stopping in Mobile for a while. What is it like there? How does it compare with other cities mentioned? Was thinking a tossup between Mobile/Dauphin Island or Gulfport/Biloxi.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The question is, what ammenities does Mobile have? I opened this thread based on that curiosity. Being a Gulf Coast port city, is it anything like New Orleans (like a New Orleans lite) or better compared with some other southern city?
The oldest section of Mobile bears some similarity to the oldest section of New Orleans and they share a few cultural similarities, but beyond that the two are like night and day. Mobile is definitely worth checking out by all means though.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 AM

396 posts, read 601,346 times
mobile seems like it has the bones of a city bigger than what it actually is - interstate tunnel under the bay, 700'+ tallest, major port, etc.

I-10 East: Mobile Alabama - YouTube

Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
mobile seems like it has the bones of a city bigger than what it actually is - interstate tunnel under the bay, 700'+ tallest, major port, etc.

I-10 East: Mobile Alabama - YouTube

It does in some regard.Mobile has some structurally dense urban areas. The city has a lot of charm and character.

I think Mobile holds it`s own to be a metro of of 600,000 people.

View from I-165 :http://www.mpsac.com/Images/Mobile_A...narrow_art.jpg (Slightly out of date)

Skyline view from Mobile bay : http://www.flickr.com/photos/24301687@N06/2301619391/in/photostream (broken link)

Mobile bay : http://www.flickr.com/photos/24301687@N06/2301619393/in/photostream (broken link)

Last edited by PortCity; 11-14-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City