Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you like more
LA 73 57.03%
Mexico City 55 42.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM

443 posts, read 877,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I have a question: If people seem to love Mexico so much, then why do people insult LA by calling it names like, "little Mexico,"? Or it must be the density- bus/train crap again.
Not sure what you're saying here, but Mexico City is much denser than LA and has an order of magnitude better transit. The subway there has a daily ridership of nearly 4 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
I don't know whether this thread was intended as a diss at LA, but its actually an interesting comparison. From what I understand from friends who have lived and visited there, Mexico City is one of the most inexplicably overlooked capitals in the world, so I’ll abstain from voting. But I do know the heat and air pollution can makes Los Angeles seem like Seattle.

It also reminds me of how our relationship with our southern neighbor has changed. Growing up in So Cal, I've been to Mexico (mostly Baja) over a 100 times. But I've not been in about 7 years.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 AM

443 posts, read 877,198 times
However, as much as Mexico City is more urban, walkable and vibrant than LA, Mexico City also has a serious crime problem that is hard to dismiss. It's still a great city, no doubt, but safety is a very legitimate concern there.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

63 posts, read 73,959 times
That's not what I'm reading. I read that Mexico City is on-par with U.S. cities for crime... better than D.C. as a matter of fact. Mexico City has a large police force and many police cameras, it is also wealthier than most of the rest of Mexico. If you are in the nicer parts of Mexico City, it's likely you will be safer than in many U.S. downtown areas, if only because it is so crowded and lively. The real crime problems are on the U.S.-Mexico border in cities like Juarez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
However, as much as Mexico City is more urban, walkable and vibrant than LA, Mexico City also has a serious crime problem that is hard to dismiss. It's still a great city, no doubt, but safety is a very legitimate concern there.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I don't know whether this thread was intended as a diss at LA, but its actually an interesting comparison. From what I understand from friends who have lived and visited there, Mexico City is one of the most inexplicably overlooked capitals in the world, so I’ll abstain from voting. But I do know the heat and air pollution can makes Los Angeles seem like Seattle.

It also reminds me of how our relationship with our southern neighbor has changed. Growing up in So Cal, I've been to Mexico (mostly Baja) over a 100 times. But I've not been in about 7 years.
The air pollution people associate with Mexico City hasn't been as serious an issue since maybe the 1980s-1990s. There are occasional days, particularly toward the end of the dry season, that are somewhat bad, but most of the year is nothing like people think. It's generally pretty clear. Also, the government in recent years has stepped up efforts to get more road traffic off the streets, which is by far the biggest contributor of air pollution in the valley.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
It's no worse than many American cities, which is a point most people ignore.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
I have a question: If people seem to love Mexico so much, then why do people insult LA by calling it names like, "little Mexico,"? Or it must be the density- bus/train crap again.
I think it's probably because Los Angeles has a very, very high amount of Mexican immigrants, many of which are here illegally. This isn't limited to just Los Angeles. It's the the case with many cities in the US, especially the Southwestern states.

Why are people often using "Little Mexico" as an insult? Because the great majority of Mexicans who come here are unskilled laborers. They mow lawns, pick crops, water flowers, and clean hotels and homes on the cheap. If it were bankers, engineers, and scientists hopping the fence or rolling into the country in the back of pickup trucks, then there would be a much different perception of this group.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Try Toronto and Chicago.
Too small and neat and unchaotic to be likened to a LA or a Mexico City. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup
It has nothing to do with Mexico City and everything to do with the OP.
That was clear from the first post. In such instances, we can either ignore it or take it as an opportunity to educate.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
If people seem to love Mexico so much, then why do people insult LA by calling it names like, "little Mexico,"?
But that's just it. People who love Mexico(and LA for that matter) dont make stupid comments like that.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Too small and neat and unchaotic to be likened to a LA or a Mexico City. Sorry.

That was clear from the first post. In such instances, we can either ignore it or take it as an opportunity to educate.
Consider me educated! I knew Mexico City was a majorly underrated city in NA, but I am definitely learning a lot about it. People that have been there should keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City