Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Chicago
Dallas 77 32.77%
Chicago 158 67.23%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,182,957 times

Advertisements

Connorg-- I would pick Garrett [Evanston] in a heartbeat! The whole family will have a fun experience. Garrett is a great school and you will have the opportunity to visit so many congregations. If $$ are low, the area is beautiful to walk around, and you can explore the neighborhoods with the strollers [or hopefully a double stroller!].

Wishing you the best of luck in your continued education!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 PM

9,654 posts, read 9,290,712 times
It will be interesting to see Dallas pass Chicago in the future. The metro is growing fast.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,219,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It will be interesting to see Dallas pass Chicago in the future. The metro is growing fast.
Let Houston and Dallas metro fight it out first which ends up bigger.

But it WILL be Houston city-proper that does it first. Toronto did in 2013. You also have SF/SJ metro and DC/Baltimore in CSA first.

But Chicago could eventually gain Milwaukee into a CSA with it.... will be decades. But will be for Dallas metro to surpass it too in a couple decades in CSA.

Chicago metro and CSA are almost the same. unlike other cities. But so far ..... Dallas isn't doing a better city or core. But it clearly is in sprawling more mode still.

It also reasons the North will become less bleeding to migrations south and west. As prices rise in the Sunbelt too. That time could come before Dallas reaches the surpassing point by fast growth mode currently.

Mid-south Like Charlotte and your Nashville. Are taking some that might have gone further South and West to Texas more and more too.

Taxes and infrastructure cost of Sprawling are rising fast too in these fastest growing metro's. Ststes that give most incentives to Corporate America? Sill maintain their fast growth. But many won't be cheapest forever.....

With Chicago secure in its core and booming areas .... despite it so uneven with its declined areas that many look quite good yet and plenty vacant land for a future it my still play a great roll in growth overall again one day.

Just waaay too much this city attained/has and still can boast of..... that isn't being replaced to Dallas anytime soon.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-22-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM

213 posts, read 164,631 times
Chicago skyline is hard to match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQt8tV8b4ic

Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesifra View Post
I agree with you summer is better in Chicago, all of the rest of stuff you mentioned is crap. Dallas is beating Chicago by the day my friend whether you want to believe it or not. Life is just much better in Texas in every aspects you can imagine it. People will continue to leave Chicago and settle in much better cities such as Dallas, Houston San Antonio, etc. where the neighborhoods are really nices, the roads are larger, where the job markets and the cost of living is better. They will keep flocking to Dallas where it is safer with less rats and less taxes. Chicago is so old packed with houses on top of each other, old bridges and it is cold and expensive. The Highways of Dallas will put CHicago to shame any day any time. And the suburbs of Dallas look https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1920&bih=871 ? How can CHicago even compare to that? Truly the skyline in Dallas is better - think about it.

Look how colorful Dallas skyline is
CHicago skyline is so dull with a buch of gettho high-rises LOL
This bolded is almost too ridiculous to even reply too. Basic bait post....
But i might know who it was once....

But I will reply. No one sees a bunch of ghetto high-rises. Besides ....
Chicago REMOVED ALL its failed notorious high-rise Projects. THEY ARE GONE.
The city rates a top tier shyline BY THE WORLD.

This video night with views of downtown Chicago. From 2016. Love the music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDm6CUG-5p0

Short video from 2018 4-months ago. Some of the skyline
Doesn't look old and tired does it ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SjSirsDdk

My favorite Chicago BEACH DRONE VIDEO. Also 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

I like this videos colors and clarity from 2016. Over Navy pier first
and then some of skyline missing some extra-talls under-construction.
Then second half goes over some if the harbor downtown
and Millennium/Maggie Daley newest parks added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8p-lvdSck

Chicago's lakefront s dotted with parkland, harbrs and beaches.

This beach s its busiest just north of its official downtown.
North Ave beach. AND OLD OUTDARED SKYLINE.....

I'm not about to bash and trash Dallas. It clearly is evolving its future yet. All our cities are.... older or newest. But No.... Chicago isn't OLD and OUTDARED... LOL

Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,345,678 times
Quote:
I love Chicago, but Michigan avenue is an overrated tourist trap. The department stores and hotels were run down and noisy. The T.J. Maxx was not a runway store, or up to par like you find in much smaller cities. The Ralph Lauren Polo store was dark, and lacking selection. The Marriott I stayed at was dirty, and my room was full of mold. It had never been renovated, they just painted over the bathroom. It was definitely not what I was expecting. I ate at one good restaurant, Nomi, but the rest were garbage.
Are you sure you were in Chicago? TJ Maxx is on State Street, not Michigan Avenue, and it is huge. Not sure what you mean by a "runway" store, other than it sits on a landing strip. The rest of the restaurants you ate at were garbage in Chicago? No kidding, Chicago is one of the best restaurant cities of the world. BTW there are a ton of hotels better than Marriott on the Mag Mile. Next time go to Trip Advisor.

Last edited by Justabystander; 01-22-2019 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,863,361 times
Quote:
I love Chicago, but Michigan avenue is an overrated tourist trap. The department stores and hotels were run down and noisy. The T.J. Maxx was not a runway store, or up to par like you find in much smaller cities. The Ralph Lauren Polo store was dark, and lacking selection. The Marriott I stayed at was dirty, and my room was full of mold. It had never been renovated, they just painted over the bathroom. It was definitely not what I was expecting. I ate at one good restaurant, Nomi, but the rest were garbage.
Some people really don't have a clue. They definitely have a bias, though.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,432,124 times
Quote:
Yes. Will be exciting to watch.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 AM

177 posts, read 174,323 times
Quote:
You going to be waiting for long time lol and even if that happens Chicago will still be light years ahead in terms of a city as a whole imo. Dallas is small in comparison and I'm not sure what Michigan Ave you visited ?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes. Will be exciting to watch.
Again, the metros are faaar apart to claim any overtake in a reasonable timeframe. too much can happen till then.

Now Houston city proper will soon. But Dallas shares its metro and CBD with Ft Worth ....forever joined at the hip. Also again ..... the metros/CDA's race is between Dallas and Houston. Add to the mix SF/SJ and DC/Baltimore. With these two as most likely candidates for any takeover in population's and by CSA as each city has its own metro.

Chicago is one metro and its CSA is virtually the same. But a future trump card could be Chicago gets Milwaukee added to its CSA. Then the bet is off. Time will tell.

But sometime in the future. I expect the Southern migrations to slow and perhaps end. That also is why too far ahead predictions ....are impractical. Especially by CSA's.

But if it is a dream of a younger mind? That Dallas/Ft Worth needs to be going after Chicago's one metro? I'm sure you will keep it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City