U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Chicago
Dallas 76 33.33%
Chicago 152 66.67%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM

34 posts, read 152,372 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at seminaries in either Dallas (SMU) or Chicago (Garrett, in Evanston) and in all honesty the schools are pretty much a push so making a decision comes down to the area and I need some help. Just a little background, I'm in my late 20s, married with 2 kids under 4 and 2 small indoor dogs. We love getting out and exploring, local restraunts, shopping, being able to use public transportation whenever possible, stuff for/with the kids would also need to be in consideration. Having a good school system is also something we are going to need to consider, since our oldest will begin school before i finish. We're moving from the Columbia, SC area and wife is able to transfer to either area so finding a job is not really a concern. I'm aware of the relatively lower cost of living in Dallas to Chicago and the no state income tax, which is a definite plus being in school. I also have heard numerous stories of the infamous Chicago winters, which somewhat scares me, even though I'm not a huge fan of the SC summers and generally love winter. And yes, I know SC winters are dramatically different than Chicago winters. I am a little more familiar with the Dallas area as I've visited once before amd loved it. We have the intention on visiting Chicago before making our final decision. Any advice/opinions on your city selection and why would be awesome. As of now, I think we're leaning Dallas, mainly because of familiarity, and similar although different (if that makes any sense, lol) but much larger than Columbia, but it would be hard to pass up an opportunity to move to Chicago. I guess we are wondering if the costs are worth moving to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM

2,961 posts, read 4,324,779 times
While Chicago has a great urban environment. I just couldn't get past the cold weather there for as long as it lasts. The way Chicago is built you are out in the weather a lot more too. Less car, more walking and waiting on the bus/train. I like hot/sunny weather so Texas is great for me. Dallas will be a lot less humid than Columbia.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,999,789 times
Suck inside in summer sounds much more fun huht

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 AM

11 posts, read 18,034 times
Alacran: "Suck inside in summer sounds much more fun huht"

Agreed

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM

771 posts, read 1,107,025 times
Chicago winters are not that BAD. Yes they are cold but it's not some sort of hell. If anything I have heard Texas summers are more like an infernfo. For crying out loud, I have family that just moved from Puerto Rico a couple of years ago to Chicago. They are handiling the cold just fine. If anything they embrace it, go snowboarding, ice skating, able to do things that they cannot do in the PR.

I know the cold isn't for everyone, but if the cold is what is going to hold you back from Chicago, well there are tons of amazing places (like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Brussels, etc) that you cold never live in.

Yes Chicago is cold but really for 9million people to live in the area it can't be that bad can it?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,999,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqsox56 View Post
Alacran: "Suck inside in summer sounds much more fun huht"

Agreed
awww phones that auto-spell words and turn them into gibberish.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM

2,278 posts, read 2,566,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorg View Post
I'm looking at seminaries in either Dallas (SMU) or Chicago (Garrett, in Evanston) and in all honesty the schools are pretty much a push so making a decision comes down to the area and I need some help. Just a little background, I'm in my late 20s, married with 2 kids under 4 and 2 small indoor dogs. We love getting out and exploring, local restraunts, shopping, being able to use public transportation whenever possible, stuff for/with the kids would also need to be in consideration. Having a good school system is also something we are going to need to consider, since our oldest will begin school before i finish. We're moving from the Columbia, SC area and wife is able to transfer to either area so finding a job is not really a concern. I'm aware of the relatively lower cost of living in Dallas to Chicago and the no state income tax, which is a definite plus being in school. I also have heard numerous stories of the infamous Chicago winters, which somewhat scares me, even though I'm not a huge fan of the SC summers and generally love winter. And yes, I know SC winters are dramatically different than Chicago winters. I am a little more familiar with the Dallas area as I've visited once before amd loved it. We have the intention on visiting Chicago before making our final decision. Any advice/opinions on your city selection and why would be awesome. As of now, I think we're leaning Dallas, mainly because of familiarity, and similar although different (if that makes any sense, lol) but much larger than Columbia, but it would be hard to pass up an opportunity to move to Chicago. I guess we are wondering if the costs are worth moving to Chicago.
If you want to experience living in a world class city, then go to Chicago. If you don't care, are afraid of the cold and/or are happy to continue living in suburbia then go to Dallas.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,118,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
If you want to experience living in a world class city, then go to Chicago. If you don't care, are afraid of the cold and/or are happy to continue living in suburbia then go to Dallas.
Its not that cut in dry. I lived in Chicago for 2 years and I currently live in the Dallas area. While Chicago is a wonderful city, I did find the cold unbearable. Its also more costly than Dallas and the burbs around Dallas are simply much better than in Chicago, but there are still burbs in Chicago that are very nice. The inverse is true of Dallas. Its much less urban overall, but there are still urban pockets if thats what the OP is after.

Both a diverse places with nice people, they just have a completely different feel. Its a matter of opinion on personal preference. Both are large enough that there isnt much you couldnt find either place. Chicago just has more of it in a smaller area. In Dallas, you may have to drive a bit to find it.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM

18,593 posts, read 26,957,321 times
Dallas summers are a little more extreme than Chicago winters but I think people would rather deal with heat than cold and everything that comes with it. I have no problem with it but most people nowadays do. Chicago is the more older, urban, developed (relative speaking in US terms obviously), exciting city. Dallas is the younger, suburban, still developing, quieter city. You can find urban pockets in Dallas proper. It is however more consistent in Chicago throughout the city.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,652,755 times
Chicago because of the amazing downtown, mass transit, and weather, i prefer 4 seasons, I do LOVE Dallas though its a very large metropolitan region with so much to do i also really love the huge Suburbs
I still can't believe Plano, TX is about the same size as Saint Paul, MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City