Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times

Advertisements

New York by a hair.

I feel that New York as a state is extremely underrated. There is a good deal of beautiful natural scenery throughout the state and many rivers, lakes, hills, mountains, valleys and islands. There are a lot of attractive older towns in the city as well (unfortunately, many of which are a bit rundown and depressed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Yeah, which a very big portion accounts for two state parks.
True and that makes it even more impressive, when considering that fact.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM

74 posts, read 143,344 times
Cali easy victory, end of thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,876,232 times
California for me. I personaly think it is the greatest stated overall.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM

313 posts, read 352,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and that makes it even more impressive, when considering that fact.

I still take California though, mainly because of the climate/scenery/geography. That cannot be understated in regards to Quality of Life, and its cities are world class.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM

29 posts, read 60,752 times
California by a long shot!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
I still take California though, mainly because of the climate/scenery/geography. That cannot be understated in regards to Quality of Life, and its cities are world class.
It depends on ones needs or wants, really.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,654,261 times
California easily won this poll and it must've been a joke thread to begin with.....where else on earth can you visit the beach,mountains,desert in a world class city all in one day .....to make it fair next time try the whole northeast vs Cali to make it closer but than again Cali will still win.....

Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,508,269 times
Quality of life? CA without a doubt. Not even fair really considering there is just less stress out here.

California for better skiing/snowboarding, beaches, cities (LA, SF, SD), and year-round weather.

Upstate NY is nice and all during the summer for it's a joke for skiing and snowboarding conditions in the winter (all ice).

Salaries are inflated in NYC versus LA but the stress you have to deal with isn't worth living there unless you are making *literally* a ton of money.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,636,588 times
Quality of life is much higher in California than New York, and to be quite honest, it's not even much of a competition.

California has much better weather, scenery, topography, and IMO, cities. As an aside, I hate NYC, and the rest of the major cities in NY are very dilapidated. Additionally, most of New York is freezing cold from mid-October to mid-May, sometimes longer; taxes are just as high--if not higher--than California; and homes, buildings, and roadways are much older and, in many cases, more rundown.

That said, the biggest advantage California has over New York is people and overall culture. People in CA are easier to live around than people in New York, especially people in NYC, LI, and Westchester. Californians tend to be very casual/laid back/easy-going; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in most of CA); tolerant, even if not approving; and generally aloof, but pleasant if engaged. New Yorkers, OTOH, tend be rude, loud, aggressive, uptight, and perpetually stressed out. New Yorkers also love to tell you what to do--very bossy group of people. I would know, too--I lived around and worked for/with a lot of New Yorkers as a kid (late teens through twenties).

IMO, New Yorkers are the truly the epitome of East Coasters--always trying to be tough, rude, ghetto, shrewd, or have some other variant of a "get-outta-way" mentality/attitude. East Coasters always seem to be scheming, too (i.e., trying "one-up" or "put one over" on you)--very unlike Californians and West Coasters in general.

Also, most people on here probably don't realize that East Coasters, including New Yorkers, tend be a lot more provincial and conventional than Californians and West Coasters. There may be lots of Democrats on the East Coast, but they tend to be more of the card-carrying union member-type than the more progressive, open-minded Democrats of the West Coast. Perhaps that's due to the fact that people on the West Coast are more creative-minded, individualistic, free-spirited, humane, etc.--I don't know, but it is what it is.

Oh, yeah--Californians are a lot healthier/fitter and more attractive than New Yorkers, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City