Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times

Advertisements

Wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
It depends. The metros along the coast of California like L.A., San Diego, San Fran, etc. can compete with the NYC area in terms of QoL. But I don't see how the areas in California's Central Valley offer a better QoL than Upstate NY. The weather might be better and the scenery might be neck and neck, but things like jobs, schools, development, crime and poverty seem to be way worse in the California Central Valley areas.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Quality of life? CA without a doubt. Not even fair really considering there is just less stress out here.

California for better skiing/snowboarding, beaches, cities (LA, SF, SD), and year-round weather.

Upstate NY is nice and all during the summer for it's a joke for skiing and snowboarding conditions in the winter (all ice).

Salaries are inflated in NYC versus LA but the stress you have to deal with isn't worth living there unless you are making *literally* a ton of money.
It's all ice for skiing and snowboarding? Interesting.......Is that for the Adirondacks, certain ski centers or in general?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Quality of life is much higher in California than New York, and to be quite honest, it's not even much of a competition.

California has much better weather, scenery, topography, and IMO, cities. As an aside, I hate NYC, and the rest of the major cities in NY are very dilapidated. Additionally, most of New York is freezing cold from mid-October to mid-May, sometimes longer; taxes are just as high--if not higher--than California; and homes, buildings, and roadways are much older and, in many cases, more rundown.

That said, the biggest advantage California has over New York is people and overall culture. People in CA are easier to live around than people in New York, especially people in NYC, LI, and Westchester. Californians tend to be very casual/laid back/easy-going; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in most of CA); tolerant, even if not approving; and generally aloof, but pleasant if engaged. New Yorkers, OTOH, tend be rude, loud, aggressive, uptight, and perpetually stressed out. New Yorkers also love to tell you what to do--very bossy group of people. I would know, too--I lived around and worked for/with a lot of New Yorkers as a kid (late teens through twenties).

IMO, New Yorkers are the truly the epitome of East Coasters--always trying to be tough, rude, ghetto, shrewd, or have some other variant of a "get-outta-way" mentality/attitude. East Coasters always seem to be scheming, too (i.e., trying "one-up" or "put one over" on you)--very unlike Californians and West Coasters in general.

Also, most people on here probably don't realize that East Coasters, including New Yorkers, tend be a lot more provincial and conventional than Californians and West Coasters. There may be lots of Democrats on the East Coast, but they tend to be more of the card-carrying union member-type than the more progressive, open-minded Democrats of the West Coast. Perhaps that's due to the fact that people on the West Coast are more creative-minded, individualistic, free-spirited, humane, etc.--I don't know, but it is what it is.

Oh, yeah--Californians are a lot healthier/fitter and more attractive than New Yorkers, too.
Your post was just one giant rant. Someone looking for a viewpoint will hopefully not pay any mind to your post.

The typical "my state is great" and "your state sucks" rant. Cool.

It's just sad that you had to write a page worth of it. Envious?

Anywho in NYC it doesn't freeze from mid October to mid May or longer lmao. NYC is known for having all 4 seasons respectfully. Today it was near 60 for example.

Yea I know this is a NY vs CA thread but being sneaky and using NYC stereotypes to describe the state is just too funny.

New Yorkers that live upstate are some of the nicest people in this country, and they do not have that cocky, plastic attitude that people in CA have. Lol

Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Wow thread turning into a state war lol

Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Wow thread turning into a state war lol

No it isn't, there are several people involved...hardly a state war.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's all ice for skiing and snowboarding? Interesting.......Is that for the Adirondacks, certain ski centers or in general?
Really it's just a characteristic of ski conditions in the Northeast. Lot's of people and icy snow. There are a few exceptions (Killington) but most in NY, NH, MA, and PA are straight up ice.

Check out this article:

America's most overpriced cities

NYC takes the number one slot with Long Island in there as well. SF, Oakland, and Santa Ana (odd) are towards the back.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Quality of life is much higher in California than New York, and to be quite honest, it's not even much of a competition.

California has much better weather, scenery, topography, and IMO, cities. As an aside, I hate NYC, and the rest of the major cities in NY are very dilapidated. Additionally, most of New York is freezing cold from mid-October to mid-May, sometimes longer; taxes are just as high--if not higher--than California; and homes, buildings, and roadways are much older and, in many cases, more rundown.

That said, the biggest advantage California has over New York is people and overall culture. People in CA are easier to live around than people in New York, especially people in NYC, LI, and Westchester. Californians tend to be very casual/laid back/easy-going; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in most of CA); tolerant, even if not approving; and generally aloof, but pleasant if engaged. New Yorkers, OTOH, tend be rude, loud, aggressive, uptight, and perpetually stressed out. New Yorkers also love to tell you what to do--very bossy group of people. I would know, too--I lived around and worked for/with a lot of New Yorkers as a kid (late teens through twenties).

IMO, New Yorkers are the truly the epitome of East Coasters--always trying to be tough, rude, ghetto, shrewd, or have some other variant of a "get-outta-way" mentality/attitude. East Coasters always seem to be scheming, too (i.e., trying "one-up" or "put one over" on you)--very unlike Californians and West Coasters in general.

Also, most people on here probably don't realize that East Coasters, including New Yorkers, tend be a lot more provincial and conventional than Californians and West Coasters. There may be lots of Democrats on the East Coast, but they tend to be more of the card-carrying union member-type than the more progressive, open-minded Democrats of the West Coast. Perhaps that's due to the fact that people on the West Coast are more creative-minded, individualistic, free-spirited, humane, etc.--I don't know, but it is what it is.

Oh, yeah--Californians are a lot healthier/fitter and more attractive than New Yorkers, too.
Great post. Most agreed on the card carrying union East Coast democrats. I can't stand them.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Great post. Most agreed on the card carrying union East Coast democrats. I can't stand them.
If I take her post, switch it around and bash California and use L.A stereotypes to describe northern Cali. Is it safe to agree that my post will be great as well? LOL

Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Really it's just a characteristic of ski conditions in the Northeast. Lot's of people and icy snow. There are a few exceptions (Killington) but most in NY, NH, MA, and PA are straight up ice.

Check out this article:

America's most overpriced cities

NYC takes the number one slot with Long Island in there as well. SF, Oakland, and Santa Ana (odd) are towards the back.
No Hawaii did, and San Fran Oakland made the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City