Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State is Better
New York State 47 28.66%
California 119 72.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Considering NYC is regarded as one of the 5 MAJOR WORLD cities, Im pretty sure its got LA beat in quite a number of areas but there is no need to go into specifics.

Funny how people from Cali always compare themselves to NY state but I never see any Texas vs. Cali threads. Hmmm...
1) This silly comparison was started by a naive New Yorker.

2) You've obviously never visit the CA board, where those are common. And almost always started by Texans. Or steered that direction by Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
NY state
You like the taste of inferiority

Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Quote:
Considering NYC is regarded as one of the 5 MAJOR WORLD cities, Im pretty sure its got LA beat in quite a number of areas but there is no need to go into specifics.

Funny how people from Cali always compare themselves to NY state but I never see any Texas vs. Cali threads. Hmmm...
There are only 23 square miles of New York State that are interesting and even worth the trip.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
There are only 23 square miles of New York State that are interesting and even worth the trip.
That's ridiculous in a lot of ways. There are fantastic parts of the outer boroughs, the Hudson Valley and all the scenic small towns in it, the Hamptons, the Thousand Islands, Niagra Falls, two Great Lakes, the Appalachians, the Adirondacks, and the Finger Lakes. There's definitely some quite rundown parts of upstate New York, but it's certainly not all boondocks outside of Manhattan.

Before this becomes a pissing contest where another list of California attraction comes out (which I understand very well since I'm from California and like it very much), I'm stating this because of how ridiculous it is to say Manhattan encompasses all there is to New York state--and not because I like water sports.

Also, where did you get that factoid about 50% of all food eaten in the US comes from California? The Central Valley is very productive and California is a huge state, but that has to be a crazy overstatement. It's more along the lines of 10% which is closer to the percentage of population California has for the US.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-02-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 AM

484 posts, read 871,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, where did you get that factoid about 50% of all food eaten in the US comes from California? The Central Valley is very productive and California is a huge state, but that has to be a crazy overstatement. It's more along the lines of 10% which is closer to the percentage of population California has for the US.
I'm sure that was overstated for effect. While it's not 50% of all food, it is along the line of 15% (of national crop receipts), and that is with only 3.7% of the nation's farm total. California, however, does produce nearly 50% of the nation's fruits, nuts, and vegetables, and leads the nation in dairy production (at 21% of our nation's supply). California is also the sole producer (more than 99%) of at least 14 crop commodities. So it's not so crazy to think that California provides A LOT of food.

NASS - California Reports and Statistics

Last edited by jimmykem; 07-02-2013 at 01:50 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:

LA is also one of the major world cities.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
I guess you have never been to NYS.
I grew up in New York and have lived in CA for the last 20 years.

I love both states and consider myself both a New Yorker and Californian. No need for stupid contests.

Last edited by JMT; 07-02-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
I'm sure that was overstated for effect. While it's not 50% of all food, it is along the line of 15% (of national crop receipts), and that is with only 3.7% of the nation's farm total. California, however, does produce nearly 50% of the nation's fruits, nuts, and vegetables, and leads the nation in dairy production (at 21% of our nation's supply). California is also the sole producer (more than 99%) of at least 14 crop commodities. So it's not so crazy to think that California provides A LOT of food.

NASS - California Reports and Statistics
There's a really significant difference between close to 15% and 50%. I think at that point, it's not overstated for effect so much as a flat out lie.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-02-2013 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Also, BigCityDreamer. Who cares that CA is 900 miles! So what, we are comparing states, and in that comparison comes the inclusion of the states size. If we compared New York State to only a comparable part of CA then it wouldn't be a State to State comparison now would it?
I already said that strictly on a state-vs-state comparison, California beats New York.

But this comparison ignores that California is a huge state that completely dominates the entire western United States in terms of population, economy and commerce activity. No other state is even close. Most of the western United States outside of California is very sparsely populated.

This is very different from the eastern United States - where several states are more densely populated than New York and of course California. The population, economy and development in the eastern United States covers a much broader area compared to the western United States.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-02-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
This needs an option for "neither, equal levels of absurd taxation and over regulation"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City