Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times

Advertisements

I just can not imagine D.C. having a higher office concentration than Chicago. They most be including Arlington County, and Tyson as Well. There's no way D.C. is beating Chicago. I know all about the height limits of D.C. (15 floors or less), and they're downtown isn't that huge land wise so I don't understand how they would beat Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I just can not imagine D.C. having a higher office concentration than Chicago. They most be including Arlington County, and Tyson as Well. There's no way D.C. is beating Chicago. I know all about the height limits of D.C. (15 floors or less), and they're downtown isn't that huge land wise so I don't understand how they would beat Chicago.
Downtown wise - no, it doesn't. If you're counting metro, then yes, it probably does. DC is extremely white collar office jobs. Chicago is a massive distribution and transportation center. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs in those fields. The suburban office market in Chicago seems smaller than the suburban office market in DC. I just spent last week touring some of our parks out in DC (I manage commercial real estate in Chicago, DC and LA).

As far as all these lists, there are multiple companies who put these out, and they all have different parameters. Different areas count towards downtown, some leave out buildings, some put in flex space, some just A or B, some include C or lesser buildings, etc.

They're all going to be different. I really don't know if there's a "right" answer.

I spent a ton of time in downtown Chicago, and a lot of time in downtown DC. Apples to apples, while I love DC to death, it just doesn't end up with as much concentrated office space in the core area as Chicago.

This is just a part of the downtown area. I know a lot is residential or hotels....but not THAT much

Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Can you find a more accurate list then?

Cause right now, I'm satisfied seeing Atlanta, DC, BMore and NOLA on the lists...
Maybe your list will also have Phoenix on there! Then I'll be all smiles!
Lists like this really take a matter of taking the time to actually research each individual area. Just to bring up some points, this is the 2011 Downtown Denver Survey located at downtowndenver.com, http://www.downtowndenver.com/LinkCl...8%3d&tabid=566. They have their dt population estimated at 110k people and I tend to slant towards the people who actually have their hand in what the area is about. In this case it would be downtowndenver.com, as it's catered to downtown Denver. About.com: http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/daytime/daytimepop.html using the 2000 census number from Uncle Sam is another good source, I feel, Keeping in mind the job losses which for the average city would more than likely decrease due to the recent economy and number of jobs being lost across the board

Another case, looking at downtown size (CBD), if you were to take Indianapolis. The main Financial Area is bound by North, South, East and West Streets commonly known as the "Mile Square" as it is one square mile or the original city limits. Looking at the numbers from the CBD posted by HTownLove, even 1 square mile would have put it in the top 20 if only focusing on the "financial" sector of any given district. If you were accounting for the entire downtown area, every city there would be incorrect as Indianapolis downtown covers 6.5 sq miles in total and Chicago doubles in size once including entire downtown area.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM

345 posts, read 832,954 times
These lists have Minneapolis-St. Paul listed with 105,000 employees in 0.72 square miles. That seems only Minneapolis to me. Does anyone have commuters to St. Paul for me? I'm guessing probably 30,000-40,000. Maybe 50,000?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
These lists have Minneapolis-St. Paul listed with 105,000 employees in 0.72 square miles. That seems only Minneapolis to me. Does anyone have commuters to St. Paul for me? I'm guessing probably 30,000-40,000. Maybe 50,000?
MSP/St. Paul should be separate as they are two separate CBD's. That would be akin to combining downtown Dallas with Downtown Fort Worth or downtown Oakland with Downtown San Francisco. They should be separate because they are separate. Downtown Miiney is actually designated differently than what everything thinks it is and is actually larger than .72 sq miles.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM

345 posts, read 832,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
MSP/St. Paul should be separate as they are two separate CBD's. That would be akin to combining downtown Dallas with Downtown Fort Worth or downtown Oakland with Downtown San Francisco. They should be separate because they are separate. Downtown Miiney is actually designated differently than what everything thinks it is and is actually larger than .72 sq miles.
Would you happen to know how many people work in downtown St. Paul? I'm thinking 105,000 is only in Minneapolis, based on the traffic and public transportation options only to Minneapolis. The Twin Cities combined would probably be top 10 on the list if combined.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
It will be interesting to see the new 2010 downtown populations from the new census when they come out. DC is night and day from the year 2000. Worker population is probably well over 400,000 approaching 500,000. DC is very different than other cities because there are no real buffer zones between downtown districts. A visitor would not know NOMA, Downtown, MT Vernon Triangle, SW Waterfront, SW Government complex, and Capitol Riverfront. They all share borders and look like one big downtown to the naked eye. Many of these areas are not included in the 382,000 workforce. Some of these areas didn't exist in 2000 lol.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Would you happen to know how many people work in downtown St. Paul? I'm thinking 105,000 is only in Minneapolis, based on the traffic and public transportation options only to Minneapolis. The Twin Cities combined would probably be top 10 on the list if combined.
According to the city, downtown Minneapolis had about 135,000 in 1995--with a projected gain of 30,000 more jobs by 2010. I'm sure that the 135,000 number has grown, however, I suspect that the growth rate has been below projections. My guess is that it is in the area of 150,000 today.

"Downtown Minneapolis 2010" is a report prepared jointly by the downtown council and the planning commission. The report dates from 1996.

From the report:

"Between 1980 and 1995, downtown gained about 30,000 employees, primarily in the finance, insurance and real estate (F.I.R.E.), services and government sectors of the economy. In 1995, downtown contained about 135,000 employees."

City Departments - Planning Department: Publications (Downtown Minneapolis 2010)

I couldn't find specific numbers for St Paul, but I do recall hearing that in 2000, downtown St Paul had about 30,00 private-sector workers, plus 15,000-20,000 government employees.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
For some reason they do combine those particular city CBD's. Every metro has multiple city downtowns so I would think if they do it for those cities they should do it for the rest too. Minn- ST Paul I can understand because of proximity, but the others are separated not only by lots of land but by other cities. How can it be one CBD when you have to skip cities to get to the other?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
I don't know if this is really a "versus" thing in itself, but it could spawn some good "versus" discussion. This is in millions of square feet of office space.

Midtown Manhattan - 200.2
Washington D.C. - 131.7
Chicago - 131.5
Toronto - 88.7
Downtown Manhattan - 87.3
San Francisco - 83.2
Midtown South Manhattan - 71.8
Boston - 59.2
Atlanta - 56.9
Seattle - 52.5
Montreal - 49.4
Philadelphia - 41.5

And just for laughs and giggles, since I've noticed there are a couple of big downtown San Jose boosters on this forum who shall go unnamed, let's look at downtown San Jose's office inventory:

San Jose - 7.5
Odd list. Atlanta in the CBD is less than 30K it must include Midtown and Buckhead while Philly excludes everything other than Market West and doesnt add places one block away in either Market East or U City both with substantial office space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City