Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,767,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There is no way to spin that. You know as well as I what you meant when you made that statement. It was you making sure everyone knew how you felt about D.C. and how it is not as urban as Philly and Boston and NYC etc. etc. etc. That is why you keep pointing out the few single family homes being built which doesn't even come close to the Multi-Family house construction. Who is buying houses right now anyway? This is the time of the "Renter"! That is our reality. You can wish all you want, D.C. "WILL" have miles of highrise dense development along all 123 miles of it's metro lines in the future. When is not important, but it's going to happen so get used to it!

This actually makes me chuckle a bit, again believe what you may
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM

443 posts, read 874,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
As for what I said about San Jose, it was only said as a response to some of the delusional SJ homers around here who think SJ has an impressive downtown.
It may be a broad indicator of activity, but office sq. footage does not necessarily directly correlate with a virbant downtown.

Downtown San Jose is not particularly vibrant - especially for its population - but I can tell you from significant experience in both that it is significantly more vibrant, pedestrian-friendly and has better restaurants, nightlife, etc. than Downtown Phoenix and several other downtowns with more office space

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM

13,704 posts, read 15,648,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well again we will see what the future holds, looks good in many of the TOD areas not sure on the others. Demand will drive where pepole live and factors like cost and commuter time (just as the article states) I agree with the link, we just both apparently came away with different take-aways from the article.
This is where you lose me. So, what did I take away from the article exactly. The fact that D.C. is running out of housing. That is pretty much all I said. What did you take away from the article? I don't focus on proving or disproving positive predictions for D.C. like you do. Im not jealous of D.C. so I have not need to focus on doom and gloom like you. Any job growth in D.C. is good in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM

182 posts, read 300,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
It may be a broad indicator of activity, but office sq. footage does not necessarily directly correlate with a virbant downtown.

Downtown San Jose is not particularly vibrant - especially for its population - but I can tell you from significant experience in both that it is significantly more vibrant, pedestrian-friendly and has better restaurants, nightlife, etc. than Downtown Phoenix and several other downtowns with more office space
Of course office space is not an indicator of vibrancy. Vibrancy is a function of retail, restaurant, and bar space; residential; number of tourists, etc. It has nothing to do with amount of office space. I didn't say anything about "vibrancy" though, did I? I said "impressive". Downtown SJ isn't impressive in any way. It isn't vibrant either, but that's another discussion entirely.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,126,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This actually makes me chuckle a bit, again believe what you may
I think your issue is with the FEDS and not DC.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,767,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think your issue is with the FEDS and not DC.

If any issue at all this would be accurate, especially related to deficit spend

Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 AM

7,263 posts, read 10,533,004 times
There's no need for bickering. DC is clearly a powerhouse in terms of office space, which is obviously expected due its role as a major job center. MDAllstar is absolutely right that housing (availability and affordability) is a major issue in DC, hence multi-family/apartment/TOD will be the predominant model there moving forward within the city and the surrounding suburbs. The area really does not have a choice if it wants to maintain any sort of mobility moving forward, since the traffic congestion there is of epic proportions.

It's also important to note that while the federal government plays a massive role in the DC area economy, it is still an area with a considerable amount of private sector employment. Tourism, biotechnology, law and higher education are all very strong sectors there, to name several.

Even with the feds, although there is clearly a lot of frustration with the government at the moment, the fact of the matter is that critical work is done at the federal level, and it has to be done somewhere. Without a fixed location for important research, foreign intelligence, and administration of countless programs, our country would not be as strong and secure as it is today.

From a Philly perspective, I personally love the fact that I am so close to our nation's pre-eminent government (DC) and commercial centers (NYC). The Northeast Corridor is truly one of the most powerful regions of the world and will only grow more so over time with greater infrastructure linkages.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-30-2011 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,282,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Northeast Corridor is truly one of the most powerful regions of the world and will only grow more so over time with greater infrastructure linkages.
Don't hold your breath.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

7,263 posts, read 10,533,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Don't hold your breath.
It's not going to happen overnight, but if there's any area of the United States that will see the most concerted effort at developing such things as a true high-speed rail network, for example, it will be the NEC. I think better linkages between public transportation systems will also occur in due time.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,282,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's not going to happen overnight, but if there's any area of the United States that will see the most concerted effort at developing such things as a true high-speed rail network, for example, it will be the NEC. I think better linkages between public transportation systems will also occur in due time.

Would love to see it happen, but I am not optimistic. I agree that the NE corridor is the only region that should even be in the discussion for high-speed rail. Proposals for other regions (even California) are unrealistic and the case for commercial viability is not very strong. The efforts should be focused on the NE and, if necessary, build incrementally (start with NY-DC, and then go from there). Alas, even that would be staggeringly expensive and the political will simply isn't there (particularly in the current climate), though I think it's a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City