Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida vs. California?
Florida 52 37.68%
California 86 62.32%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 AM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Being one of the top 5 cities and metros in the nation for public transit is "dismal"? Ok, whatever you say.
Yeah I think it is dismal, go to Chicago, NYC, DC...night and day difference. I needed to get a car when I lived in SF b/c of not being able to get certain places, always late and slow, etc. I sold it again when I moved. I tried for about 3-4 months out there to live car free before deciding it was a lost cause to actually get around quickly and do things, then bit the bullet and got a cheap car.
Sure it might be top 5, but 5th at best, more like 6ish. and there is a big gap from 1 > to 2 3 (chi/dc)... to 4 (boston) ...then a bigger fall off to SF at 5/6. ... so yep, I think it's dismal.
BART is pretty comparable to MARTA, actually probably worse in terms of where it actually takes you.
Anyway I'll just stop there before I get angry.
SF has plenty of other merits, PT is not one of them. I wasn't bashing SF...geez. I just said it crushes Miami so... not that poster for you. But I also won't say it has nice PT, it doesn't.
Also I think globally and have lived abroad, saying top 5 in the u.s. isn't really saying much b/c the u.s. overall is pretty terrible in the PT department. Only NYC is comparable to most of the bigger European cities for instance.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-29-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Yeah I think it is dismal, go to Chicago, NYC, DC...night and day difference. I needed to get a car when I lived in SF b/c of not being able to get certain places, always late and slow, etc. I sold it again when I moved. I tried for about 3-4 months out there to live car free before deciding it was a lost cause to actually get around quickly and do things, then bit the bullet and got a cheap car.
Sure it might be top 5, but 5th at best, more like 6ish. and there is a big gap from 1 > to 2 3 (chi/dc)... to 4 (boston) ...then a bigger fall off to SF at 5/6. ... so yep, I think it's dismal.
BART is pretty comparable to MARTA, actually probably worse in terms of where it actually takes you.
Anyway I'll just stop there before I get angry.
SF has plenty of other merits, PT is not one of them. I wasn't bashing SF...geez. I just said it crushes Miami so... not that poster for you. But I also won't say it has nice PT, it doesn't.
Also I think globally and have lived abroad, saying top 5 in the u.s. isn't really saying much b/c the u.s. overall is pretty terrible in the PT department. Only NYC is comparable to most of the bigger European cities for instance.
You spoke the truth in this post. I am just waiting on a yall from Californians then they will officially be worse than southerners for most delusional, annoying and uncultured.

FTR, I choose Florida....... Miami to be exact to live.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Well, another way to measure "diversity" is by the amount of languages that are spoken in a given area. Usually, not all the time, different languages spoken DENOTE different ethnic groups. However, this can also fall short as some languages, like English, are spoken by many different ethnic groups (huge difference between Jamaicans and Australians, though both ARE primarily English speaking)

2010 census data on language hasn't come out, so here is the 2000 data as a baseline
http://www.usefoundation.org/userdat...y_language.pdf
Most Linguistically Diverse States

California: 207 languages spoken
Florida: 134 languages spoken

The US census also classifies Arabs, Iranians, Afghans, and Armenians as "White" as well for whatever reason, but I think they add diversity to the population.

If your ancestry from a green country, you're considered "White"

I do agree that there should be some system to separate out which people have been here for 5-6 generations, and those who immigrated here and their 1st generation American children. However, in places like NY and NJ (and increasingly, FL), there are many Italians and Irish who still hold on quite dearly to their ancestry and partake in all the traditions. However, the same can be said for California.

Using the traditional US census defined race structure, California's diversity index (defined as the chances that any two people chosen in a given area will be of two different "races) would be at 73, while Florida's diversity index would be at 59.
2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com

It can be calculated as such:

For the 2000 census, the US census released a diversity index (http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-104.pdf (broken link)) calculating the statistical diversity of each county in the United States based on the 8 broad ethno-racial demographic groups seen in the census. If you look on the 4th page of the link above, the census demographers use simple mathematics to determine how they got the index to begin with:

1) Square the percentage of each group analyzed (White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, Two or More Races)
2) Subtract that number from 1.00 (total diversity)

Since I'm on a roll with visuals, here are some about climates between CA and FL (first series on precipitation):
Precipitation Maps - Western Regional Climate Center

That Climate Chart is old as some of our Lynx buses, get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
CA has more Caucasians, more Middle-Easterners(which by the way, are also Asian), and more Latinos than Florida. Florida may have a more diverse Latino, and White population, but CA has a more diverse Asian and just as diverse black population(CA has ALOT of African nationalities represented).

Second time I've seen this. Will somebody PLEASE PUT FORTH PROOF, as one guy stated in a chart according to numbers we have more nationalities of African Americans represented in this state.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
I would have chosen CA hands down.

Chose Florida though because I was born there.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
It's not a climate chart. It's a precipitation chart, measuring averages over a 31 year period.

If you don't like it, email the people at the NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and their regional climate centers and ask them for an update.

Anyways, I don't get why there is such a fight over urbanity, when the VAST MAJORITY of Californians and Floridians live in suburban areas. Hell, I live in the City of LA and I consider where I live as somewhere stuck between suburbia and urbanity. If you're familiar with the SFV, you'll understand why I say that.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
When the Thomas Brother's Maps "Distance from this community to XX City (downtown)" is blank, that's when you know you live in it.

I'm Urban.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,770 times
Not even close. California even with the over inflated COL.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM

322 posts, read 614,305 times
Florida. I love the humidity and the wild life. The beach water is much warmer in Florida.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post

Second time I've seen this. Will somebody PLEASE PUT FORTH PROOF, as one guy stated in a chart according to numbers we have more nationalities of African Americans represented in this state.
CA has a higher Nigerian, Ghanaian, Kenyan, and Ethiopian/Eritrean population than Florida. Although Florida may have more West Indians, and slightly more African-Americans, CA has a higher population of Africans from African countries. That was the point I was making.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM

90 posts, read 94,821 times
Criteria:

Economy: California's is much larger and has more industries represented. That said, IIRC, Florida's is growing faster.
Quality of Life: Depends. For me, Florida seems a bit more monotonous than California, so CA for me.
Cost of Living: Florida. Not even close
Climate: Florida. I like tropical climates more than dry ones
Topography: There's topography in Florida?
Urbanity: San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego vs. Miami, Tampa, Orlando. Would say that Miami beats out San Diego, maybe 60/40 in favor of LA, and not even close to SF. Tampa and Orlando, given me a break
Access to different areas: Florida
Ethnic Diversity: Tied. California has more Asians, Florida has more Carribbean people
Public Transportation: Refer to urbanity
Anything else?: Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City