Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times

Advertisements

DC

My father got custody of us when I was 2, and we permanently moved to nearby Woodbridge, Virginia. My father had been in DC (Ft. McNair) since the 80s and had a ton of friends, used to date a Redskins cheerleader, so we were in DC all the time. When we relocated just south of Richmond, we still visited The City 3-4 times a year. I haven't been since October '12, but DC is, and probably always will be, my favorite city...

RICHMOND:

Another city that I never lived within the actual city limits, but this is my claimed hometown. I grew up in Prince George south of the city, but I know I've been to Richmond well over 100 times, easily. Friends, shopping, food, sports, church, you name it--we were always in Richmond. At the time I moved in April '05, at 15 yrs old, I knew my way around Southside and East End Richmond like I lived there. Havent been since October '12. The city has grown so much, and much of it is foreign to me nowadays, but I'll always consider Richmond home...

RALEIGH:

Been there mostly for business reasons. Nice city, but I've never been really impressed with Raleigh...

HAMPTON ROADS:

Growing up, I've been to Williamsburg, Norfolk, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Jamestown, Surry...I love the 757....

CHARLOTTE:

Had visited about 5 times before a job temporarily relocated me for 48 days. I absolutely love Charlotte. It iw undisputedly the cultural center of Carolina, and I could never again reside in Carolina unless it is Charlotte...

MEMPHIS:

My fondness for Memphis as a youth has been replaced by a sadness for tue city as an adult. I'll always have a place in my heart for Memphis, though. My mother is from there, and my grandmother and her side are never leaving. I spent my 8th grade year in Southaven, MS, but we were literally in Memphis 3-4 times a week. My uncle won us four home games to the Grizzlies' inaugural season; Redbirds games; my aunt used to work in management at Oak Court Mall, etc...I've been twice as an adult, partying on Beale in Summer '10 and a family reunion in Fall '11 when I was living in Upstate New York. Could never see myself residing there ever again, but I'll qlways have love for Memphis...

LITTLE ROCK:

My father's hometown. Never really lived there (briefly, in between California qnd DC, but I was real young), but have been a couple dozen times. We spent most of our summers growing up "down south" lol (because VA was never really southern to my parents) with my dad's family, weeks at a time. Another city I know like the back of my hand. Last Visit, spent two days during my trip to Memphis in Fall '11....

These are the cities I've been to over 5 times. I've been to a bunch more cities, and my 'Favorite's' list will differ slightly, but these are my most visited...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
DC My best friend lives there so I'm always visiting him plus I love the black gay night life there

PHILLY Another best friend loves here Penn Relays and for first Friday's

MIAMI This is home there all the time.

DAllas TD Jake's megafest

Austin TX Texas relays

New Orleans Essences festival, this year will be my last year going here for this event

Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM

489 posts, read 911,380 times
DC-Family lives there/Leisure
ATL-Family is huge Braves fans
NYC- Family/Leisure
SD-Family/Leisure
Denver-Family
SF-Family/Leisure
Greensboro-Family
Triangle Area-Sports fandom
SLC-Friends/Family
Vegas-Leisure (unfortunately. One of my least favorite cities)
Los Angeles-Leisure
Charleston-Leisure
Savannah-Leisure
Richmond-Leisure
Asheville-Leisure
Greenville SC-Family
Seattle-Work
Phoenix-Family
Kansas City-Family
Portland-Family

I have a lot of places to stay for free

This is in order of places most visited, all at least 3 times, and for reasons. Have gone to Seattle several times for work training and corporate functions.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
LA - Well it's the closest large, interesting city to the Bay Area. Went as a kid somewhat often, then I lived close by when I was in San Diego, and have friends that live there. Don't really know how many times I've been, at least 20+ probably.

Honolulu - All of my mom's family except her immediate family is from Hawaii, mostly Oahu. So visited as a kid and adult. Maybe been at least 5 times.

Kona/Big Island, Hawaii - My dad has a condo here so probably been at least 6 times about.

Vegas - It's close to Ca and party central, been maybe 5-6 times. I'm kind of over Vegas and would never suggest going there anymore but a lot of my friends like going back so I end up going.

New Orleans - Been 3 times, twice for Mardi Gras. Just love visiting this city and plan to keep going back.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Live in Miami.
Went to college in D.C.

After that:
Orlando Fl. Been there too many times to count, usually 2-4 days.
Los Angeles: if I have counted correctly I have been to LA for 54 days in total. Usually 4-5 days at a time.
Nassau Bahamas: haven't been in a while usually went 6 days at a time 53 days.
NYC: 42 days total spent usually 3-4 days at a time
San Francisco: only been there once but spent 30 days there.
Other cities I have been to more than once:
Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Las Vegas, Madison Wisconsin, Philadelphia, Bar Harbor Maine.

Also spent 4 months in Barcelona Spain.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Of places that I've never lived, I've visited Los Angeles more times than I can count (my family lives there). I've also been to DC, Philly, and Hamilton, ON countless times as well.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I just travel for fun, don't get to for work.

Places I've been the most:

Amsterdam: 9
New York City: 9
Washington DC: 8
San Francisco: 5
New Orleans: 4
Dublin: 4
Paris: 4
Boston: 3
London: 3
Berlin: 3
Rome: 3
Barcelona: 3
Florence: 3
Venice: 3
San Diego: 3
I'm surprised you can remember all those trips. I'd probably lose count after four.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
Grew up in South Carolina so most SC/NC cities are a given, but outside of that:

At least 3 times in no particular order:

Las Vegas (Conventions)
Orlando (Conventions)
Atlanta (Business)
San Francisco (Vacation)
Portland (Conventions/Leisure)
Chicago (Friends/Conventions)
DC (Family)
New York (Family)
Tampa (Family)
Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (Vacation)

Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Not counting cities whose metros I've lived in:

Indianapolis: >60 (lots of family there)
Madison, WI: >5
NYC: 4?
Cincinnati: 4? (went to school in Ohio)
St. Louis: 3
San Francisco: 3
Nashville: 3
Philadelphia: 2
Houston: 2
Milwaukee: 2
Urbana-Champaign: 2
Baltimore: 2
New Orleans: 2

Most of those duplicates are from old family trips. I'm more the type to visit somewhere new over exploring a city I've been to before more deeply.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
I feel poor reading this thread, haha! Makes me curious to know what everyone does for a living that allows them to travel so much.

Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas are the places I frequent the most, given the fact that I live in Austin.

Outside of Germany (for family), I haven't been to any places more than once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City