Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Orlando/Tampa 31 49.21%
Austin/San Antonio 32 50.79%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

neither. but if i had to, central florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
My Gosh, what horrid choices.

Skyline- Austin
Transportation- none
Density- Austin
Walkability- none
Shopping- Central Flo
Recreation- tie- edge to Cen Flo
Diversity- Central Flo
Food- CenTex
Culture- CenTex
High Culture/Arts- sucky offerings all around
Music- Austin
Film- Austin

From the bunch Orlando is my favorite.
They aren't horrid choices, most of the typical city comparisons have been beaten to death on here and I know what is there. Both of the cities have emerging or somewhat developed tech corridors, both have seen developments in film and have a pair of cities which are frequented heavily by tourists and both are not the *star* of the state and both around 2m/2m twin equal distance apart metros. Orlando / Tampa would have been getting HSR if the governor wasn't an idiot.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I pick Austin and San Antonio. Better downtowns, more charm, much better food, more friendly and socilable people than Florida.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I pick Austin and San Antonio. Better downtowns, more charm, much better food, more friendly and socilable people than Florida.
Could you elaborate? What is it about Tampa/Orlando that can't compete on friendliness and sociable? Are the downtowns also really better? Why are tampa/orlando lacking food options, they seem to have diverse populations? Does the food not match up?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
They aren't horrid choices, most of the typical city comparisons have been beaten to death on here and I know what is there. Both of the cities have emerging or somewhat developed tech corridors, both have seen developments in film and have a pair of cities which are frequented heavily by tourists and both are not the *star* of the state and both around 2m/2m twin equal distance apart metros. Orlando / Tampa would have been getting HSR if the governor wasn't an idiot.
They are too me.
Quote:
Could you elaborate? What is it about Tampa/Orlando that can't compete on friendliness and sociable? Are the downtowns also really better? Why are tampa/orlando lacking food options, they seem to have diverse populations? Does the food not match up?
All though I prefer the Orlando/ Tampa combo I would say yeah, the DT's of SA and Austin are better than the central Flo ones. Austin has the best skyline of all of them, it is the most pedestrian friendly, and there is lots of activities to do right there in downtown. SA has nice architecture downtown and things to see.

Saying that I still prefer Orlando all around.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
OK fair enough

I find Texas to be a bit more extroverted. Floridians, I won't call them unfriendly as that would be to broad I just feel there is less ice to break in Texas from the outset. San Antonio especially made an impression on me when visiting I just felt a very warm demeanor from many every day encounters there, like unusually so. But that's just my anecdotal experience however it was most impressionable for me.

Yes I do think downtown San Antonio and Austin have better downtowns. Tampa's downtown leaves something to be desired. It has a sterile feel dominated by business and government with not very much creativity. That was in 2002 when I was there last so it may have changed. Ybor City was charming to too small to make a big impression. Orlando has a pretty downtown with the new modern high-rises but at street level it's meh...

San Antonio has a wonderful downtown, among the best in Texas. I enjoyed the river walk, it really had an ambiance about it that was unique to San Antonio itself, awesome landscaping and fountains. San Antonio has a lot of preserved historic buildings. It's not going for the flashy or modern Dallas genre but rather it's own genuine charm. Downtown Austin is also very interesting having the 6th street entertainment district with diverse music venues, a growing residential base with some impressive recently constructed high-rises. Add in a state capital and huge college town presence, some interesting hilly topography with lakes and there is quite a dynamic city.

All four cities are diverse like any big city in North America. I just think cities in Texas have an edge upon food with its own Tex-Mex and barbeque element. Florida doesn't really offer much of a trademark for food.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-28-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK fair enough

I find Texas to be a bit more extroverted. Floridians, I won't call them unfriendly as that would be to broad I just feel there is less ice to break in Texas from the outset. San Antonio especially made an impression on me when visiting I just felt a very warm demeanor from many every day encounters there, like unusually so. But that's just my anecdotal experience however it was most impressionable for me.

Yes I do think downtown San Antonio and Austin are better. Tampa's downtown leaves something to be desired. It has a sterile feel dominated by business and government. That was in 2002 when I was there last so it may have changed. Ybor City was charming to too small to make a big impression. Orlando has a pretty downtown with the new modern high-rises but at street level it's meh...

San Antonio has a wonderful downtown, among the best in Texas. I enjoyed the river walk, it really had an ambiance about it that was unique to San Antonio itself, awesome landscaping and fountains. San Antonio has a lot of preserved historic buildings. It's not going for the flashy or modern Dallas genre but rather it's own genuine charm. Downtown Austin is also very interesting having the 6th street entertainment district with diverse music venues, a growing residential base with some impressive recently constructed high-rises. Add in a state capital and huge college town presence, some interesting hilly topography with lakes and there is quite a dynamic city.

All four cities are diverse like any big city in North America. I just think cities in Texas have an edge upon food with its own Tex-Mex and barbeque element. Florida doesn't really offer much of a trademark for food.
A lot has changed. They have a new streetcar line and now Channelside has been built up. It's much nicer although I'm not sure if it's better than San Antonio or Austin. But it is better from 2002.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Central FL

Old 12-26-2011, 04:10 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
A usual citydata thread....

What is up with these two sunbelt clusters? What will their future hold? Are they good for young people? How is the culture different.

Which would you prefer to live in?
This is a very legit and difficult question because the two are actually very similar! I've actually lived in both Orlando and San Antonio and has visited Austin and Tampa. I would definitely pick Austin & San Antonio. For me, I love not dealing with humidity, bugs, insects, and mosquitoes. The Texas weather was a very welcome change for a Floridian like me. The only issue I had was dry skin.

I prefer Texas people in general to Floridians. I feel like Floridians are more materialistic and shallow compared to Texans. Texans are very down to earth. Southern Hospitality is alive and well over there. My life long friends are all Texans. So that pretty much tells you.

I would say for nightlife, Orlando and Tampa definitely have that in the bag over San Antonio. San Antonio is a military town filled with families. Not too many clubs. Austin is a different story. It's music and club scene is nationally known. But I tend to think Orlando's and Tampa's are also a huge force that can stand against it. I don't know which is better honestly.

Obviously there's more family-related activities to do in Orlando than anywhere else. Theme parks galore.

Overall, I would pick San Antonio and Austin based off the people, the cost of living, weather, and quality of life. I had a great time there and would definitely move back if there was a reason to. But right now, I came back to FL to finish school and then I'm moving to the west coast.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
For me Austin & San Antonio win this won hand's down. Austin is my favorite city in TX and San Antonio is not far behind. I think Tampa is all right (and Clearwater Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the nation) but I feel that Orlando is fairly soul-less. There's no "there" there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City