Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

St. Louis I always thought was more disliked than indy, primarily because of the sports rivalries and its being the next most populated metro area in Illinois. (Metro East is second to Chicago metro in terms of population). If people from Chicago hate Indy, i would imagine it's primarily because of how much lower down the totem pole it is...it's much smaller, far less offering in terms of cultural opportunities, not located near any major bodies of water...there is just nothing that Indy has that could make people from Chicago jealous unless they hate living in a city like Chicago IMO. Indy is Chicago's polar opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well then lets use a little history then to guide us what happens to Kings.
The US overthrew its king and declared Independence.
So the same can happen to Chicago. its not immune to the economic competition of neighboring states.
Heck Indiana already has taken over 20 major businesses from Illinois with most being in Chicagoland. Best one was the American College of Education moving from Chicago to Indianapolis.
Wisconsin is probably doing the same that wouldnt surprise me.
Iowa too.
heck even Michigan might start too since now Illinois has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the midwest. Getting above michigan in unemployment is not something to celebrate
Dude you keep citing the American College of Education as some titanic win...it's an online college for education majors. It's not exactly a huge deal.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
I've never heard someone in Chicago put down indy. St. Louis on the other hand...

Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM

161 posts, read 211,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I've never heard someone in Chicago put down indy. St. Louis on the other hand...
I only ever hear Cubs fans putting the Cardinals down, not the city itself.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
there are gazillions of native chicagoans living in st. louis.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Well then lets use a little history then to guide us what happens to Kings.
The US overthrew its king and declared Independence.
So the same can happen to Chicago. its not immune to the economic competition of neighboring states.
Heck Indiana already has taken over 20 major businesses from Illinois with most being in Chicagoland. Best one was the American College of Education moving from Chicago to Indianapolis.
Wisconsin is probably doing the same that wouldnt surprise me.
Iowa too.
heck even Michigan might start too since now Illinois has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the midwest. Getting above michigan in unemployment is not something to celebrate

Have you see the sign on I-94 in Indiana by the Illinois border - "Have You Been Illinoised To Death?"

Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Have you see the sign on I-94 in Indiana by the Illinois border - "Have You Been Illinoised To Death?"

LOL
Illinoyed by higher taxes? i have heard of that
oh well Corruption has a price and the income tax hike in Illinois is great... for Indiana
Glad Mitch Daniels is recruiting more and more business here.
Illinois wont have manufacturing left soon with Right to Work in place now.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
LOL
Illinoyed by higher taxes? i have heard of that
oh well Corruption has a price and the income tax hike in Illinois is great... for Indiana
Glad Mitch Daniels is recruiting more and more business here.
Illinois wont have manufacturing left soon with Right to Work in place now.
I didn't know Chicagoans hated Indy, but it def seems like there is an inferiority complex in Indy to go along with Chicago's superiority complex if these posts and that sign are saying anything. Furthermore, I second the fact that the sign is a race to the bottom for the region. Way to go spending tons of money on campaigns to siphon away businesses from other states instead of further creating a sustainable environment to harbor new business and innovation to try and build a better future for all.

Cities, like my home metro of St. Louis (and including Indy in a recent blog post I was reading), have to deal with this business fishing from the suburbs. The local issue is the same, stop trying to kill the core of the region for personal short term gains! So much money is wasted, millions upon millions, arguing things like which side of the street a wal-mart will be on as it matters for tax revenue to the little municipalities... no other good uses for that money huh?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
I only ever hear Cubs fans putting the Cardinals down, not the city itself.
Guess it depends who you're with. I've heard general trash talk, usually just the St. Louis is not Chicago blah blah blah sort but that doesn't really mean much. +1 on the Cards/Cubs, which is always weird to hear the cubs try and trash talk on this issue, but the sports rivalries between the cities are fun interactions. I think most reasonable Chicagoans consider St. Louis to be a unique and interesting city just down 55 from their home that makes for a nice weekend excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
there are gazillions of native chicagoans living in st. louis.
That's a lot and I'm glad, the city could use a nice population boom to help with ongoing progress!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I didn't know Chicagoans hated Indy, but it def seems like there is an inferiority complex in Indy to go along with Chicago's superiority complex if these posts and that sign are saying anything. Furthermore, I second the fact that the sign is a race to the bottom for the region. Way to go spending tons of money on campaigns to siphon away businesses from other states instead of further creating a sustainable environment to harbor new business and innovation to try and build a better future for all.

Cities, like my home metro of St. Louis (and including Indy in a recent blog post I was reading), have to deal with this business fishing from the suburbs. The local issue is the same, stop trying to kill the core of the region for personal short term gains! So much money is wasted, millions upon millions, arguing things like which side of the street a wal-mart will be on as it matters for tax revenue to the little municipalities... no other good uses for that money huh?
There is no hatred at all, this thread is one or two people panicking about the topic and 20 other people standing around confused because the whole thing is silly and doesn't exist in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City