Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,892 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what peoples opinions are based on these 5 neighborhoods. They all seem to have a lot of things in common; I admit I am not as familiar with Beacon Hill as the rest. I lived 6 yrs in West Village, and I am currently moving to Lincoln Park, visited Philly and DC dozens of times per year.

My criteria is:

Architecutre

Transportation

Parks

Shopping

Nightlife

Food

History

Density

Poshness

Cost of Living

Last edited by FAReastcoast; 11-30-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM

31,886 posts, read 34,379,372 times
You probably should have included Logan or Dupont instead of Georgetown. Those neighborhoods have better public transit and the architecture is more impressive, imo.

I'm not that familiar with Chicago.

Back Bay for architecture.

The Village for transportation.

Back Bay for Parks since it borders the Common.

The Village for shopping.

I don't go around any of these areas to party, so I have no idea.

The Village for food.

Back Bay for history.

The Village for food.

Back Bay for poshness.

I would guess Lincoln Park for COL.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Interesting, 5 awesome neighborhoods

To me the biggest difference would be cohesion to core; WV, BB, and RS are basically on top it. LP and GT are little further removed

Will get back on the specific criteria but to me the bigger decisopn is probably which city one prefers as opposed to any better or worse as a specific place as all are pretty awesome urban enclaves

RS, WV , and the North End (not BB) are my three favorite nabes in the US so for methere is no loser among them, nor any of the 5 you have listed

Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Just curious as to what peoples opinions are based on these 5 neighborhoods. They all seem to have a lot of things in common; I admit I am not as familiar with Beacon Hill as the rest. I lived 6 yrs in West Village, and I am currently moving to Lincoln Park, visited Philly and DC dozens of times per year.

My criteria is:

Architecutre:
Back Bay

Transportation:
West Village

Parks:
Tough call, but I'll take Lincoln Park because of the actual Lincoln Park and Lake Front access. All have great parks, except for Georgetown, IMO, but they do have the water front.

Shopping:
Georgetown

Nightlife:
West Village

Food:
West Village

History:
Back Bay

Density:
West Village

Poshness:
Back Bay or Georgetown

Cost of Living:
I would guess Lincoln Park, but I have not checked Rittenhouse prices lately.
I love all of these neighborhoods for different reasons. I picked Georgetown in DC simply because it is my favorite neighborhood in the city. My answers above:

Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Shopping would probably go to Back Bay with Copley sq. Copley Place, Shops at Prudentail and Newbury St.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You probably should have included Logan or Dupont instead of Georgetown. Those neighborhoods have better public transit and the architecture is more impressive, imo.

Agree on the DC nabes (though the OP appears to have a specific reason to include GT and great area none-the-less)

Also Nob Hill or the like may have a been a good SF entry here

On Chicago either a Streeterville or River North would have more the core proximity but LP is probably a more appropriate comparator among these listed IMHO

Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree on the DC nabes (though the OP appears to have a specific reason to include GT and great area none-the-less)

Also Nob Hill or the like may have a been a good SF entry here

On Chicago either a Streeterville or River North would have more the core proximity but LP is probably a more appropriate comparator among these listed IMHO
Streeterville and Rivernorth do not really fit the feel of the other neighborhods I was going for, as they are mostly newer highrise hoods with little to know low rise residential.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM

Un unscientific rank on these

My criteria is:

Architecutre - WV, BB, RS, GT, LP

Transportation - WV, BB/RS, LP, GT

Parks - BB, LP, RS/WV, GT

Shopping - tough one all are very good here would say BB, WV/RS, LP, GT (too many chains these days but all are very good)

Nightlife - WV, RS, LP, BB, GT

Food - WV, RS, BB, LP, GT

History - WV/RS/BB, GT, LP

Density - WV, RS, BB, LP, GT

Poshness - BB, RS/WV, LP/GT though all have some very posh aspects

Cost of Living WV/BB, RS/GT, LP

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Un unscientific rank on these

My criteria is:

Architecutre - WV, BB, RS, GT, LP

Transportation - WV, BB/RS, LP, GT

Parks - BB, LP, RS/WV, GT

Shopping - tough one all are very good here would say BB, WV/RS, LP, GT (too many chains these days but all are very good)

Nightlife - WV, RS, LP, BB, GT

Food - WV, RS, BB, LP, GT

History - WV/RS/BB, GT, LP

Density - WV, RS, BB, LP, GT

Poshness - BB, RS/WV, LP/GT though all have some very posh aspects

Cost of Living WV/BB, RS/GT, LP
Interesting you ranked Georgetown last in shoppiong, while there are a lot of Chains, there shear volume of options would rank it first for me (or tied with Back Bay).

Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM

179 posts, read 400,586 times
This is a great thread with some great comparisons.

Architecture - I'd say Back Bay and West Village. Just seems a little more historic with all the brownstones and what not.

Transportation - West Village, mainly because it's Manhattan. And maybe Lincoln Park.

Parks - Probably Rittenhouse Square...

Shopping - West Village, Georgetown tie? Maybe Back Bay as well?

Nightlife - West Village definitely - Meatpacking is in the West Village.

Food - West Village

History - I'd say 5 way tie. They're all very historical.

Density - West Village (I'd assume) would be most dense, along with Back Bay and Rittenhouse (since there are lots of high rises).

Poshness - All posh. West Village tops out I'd think, with all the celebrities living there and what not.

Cost of Living - Lincoln Park is probably the most reasonable. West Village, probably the most expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City