Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore and Detroit, which It's populations as they currently are, imagine when they see a building boom, with no height limits, and plenty of room to work with.
IF Detroit significantly rebounds, I would assume they would fill out the swaths of completely abandoned areas before building tons of Highrises
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
IF Detroit significantly rebounds, I would assume they would fill out the swaths of completely abandoned areas before building tons of Highrises
They're working with a blank canvas.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
They're working with a blank canvas.
When the Census estimates come out on December 1st?, I would think Detroit is close to 70% depopulated, around 690-695K, because between 2010-2011 they lost ~7,500 people.
I would think Baltimore is 618-619K because they are bottoming out right around now.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
When the Census estimates come out on December 1st?, I would think Detroit is close to 70% depopulated, around 690-695K, because between 2010-2011 they lost ~7,500 people.
I would think Baltimore is 618-619K because they are bottoming out right around now.
Baltimore should be turning that corner any time now. I would love for the city to be a overnight success, but I can live with slow and steady with a few bumps along the way.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Maybe not high rises, but my guess is rebuilding would be uneven, some areas would get lots of redevelopment maybe some rather big buildings while others sit vacant. I think the area right by downtown/midtown in Detroit has seen some recent growth.

Last edited by JMT; 12-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Let's not bring Philly into this discussion.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Baltimore should be turning that corner any time now. I would love for the city to be a overnight success, but I can live with slow and steady with a few bumps along the way.
It will likely turn the corner somewhere between 2010 and 2010, by the 2020 census I would exect a + -.5% or in that ball park

Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
haha I like the last line.

However I don't Boston would need to expand highways if the city were to hit in the 1 mil range. Since much of the growth would have to come in the Innovation District (aka South Boston Waterfront), Dorchester, JP, and Roxbury, I think Boston could get away with improving existing main roads instead of highways. The ID already has the motor infrastructure to support a major growth in population, so the city could focus on the Jamaicaway, Blue Hill Ave, Dot Ave, Tremont & Columbus, and Hyde Park Ave. Then all we would have to do is expand the T a bit. I think the map created by ArchBoston.com's Vanshnookenraggen would do just fine:

With that map, Boston would easily be able to handle 1 mil, Cambridge could have 225k, another 150k in Somerville, and then another 500k in the combo of Watertown, Malden, Everett, Chelsea, Revere, Medford, and Melrose. I think this is a very realistic target for the 2020 census. Yes we can!
Oh, great, more nightmare construction. At least they're not trying to do the green line to Forest Hills again However, I am glad to see a couple of these changes, people have been clamoring for blue line to Lynn and green line to Union Square forever now.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
D.C. now has more people than Baltimore, Census Bureau says - Baltimore Sun
D.C. now has more people than Baltimore

What a lot of people may not realize is that DC really is going through a serious construction boom right now (wouldn't be surprised if its the largest in the US right now) but with that said Baltimore is on the verge of having thousands upon thousands of new units begin construction next year as well. The population will not sink in Baltimore in the 2020 Census and I even project that it will actually have grown in a 2014 estimation. The problem with Baltimore is that its most likely shrinking at extreme rates in some areas , while the inner-city regions (Harbor/Downtown/South Baltimore) are growing extremely fast but those shrinking regions are outpacing the areas that are growing.

I've never visited Detroit before but I love the music that came out of it, hopefully it turns around as well although it would be cool to see Baltimore/DC/Boston to have a higher population than Detroit for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City