Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Well it's hard to say...especially since you're limiting the Boston Metro to Southern New Hampshire and the Dallas Metro to Pleno. Both have their positives and negatives. You keep mentioning private schools...I can't speak for Dallas, or New Hampshire either for that matter...but the Metro Boston public schools are among the best in the nation.

The problem with Boston is it's very expensive...however it's much cheaper in Southern New Hampshire since the real estate isn't as pricey and I believe there are no income taxes. As mentioned before, there aren't any income taxes in Texas either. Overall, you've painted a pretty tight window for people to argue about. I don't think people are commenting much because all you've asked about are taxes and schools...and you've limited yourself to a small section of both metros at that.

Overall, I prefer the Boston metro for a variety of reasons. I prefer the Northeast, coastal location over the plains of Texas. There's better access to both beaches and mountains in metro Boston, along with better access to other cities like NYC, Montreal, Philadelphia, etc.

If you're looking to live in the suburbs and only travel into the city for family romps, sports games, etc. I think Boston offers far more. Since it's a centralized city, it's easy for you and your family to park at a T station (or even the Commuter Rail...the CR is already in Lowell and has plans to push into Nashua and Manchester), hop on the subway and go anywhere in the city. With DT, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Theater District, and South End all straddling the beautiful Boston Common/Public Gardens, there are few cities that offer such a high percentage of its best attractions in such a small area.

You can see world-class architecture at every turn, walk two of the finest urban parks in the country, see the Charles River and Beacon Hill, and explore the beautiful Back Bay in a short afternoon. Going to a Sox, Bruins, or Celtics game is easy (though expensive) due to the extensive mass transit. If you're coming from New Hampshire, the Commuter Rail will stop in North Station which is literally under TD Garden, home of the B's and C's. A short hop from North Station is the North End, with arguably the best Italian food in the country. It's also one of the most unique neighborhoods you'll ever see.

There's a lot to love about Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:53 AM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offmove View Post
Well.. to me it is not snow. We can couple of 18+ inch storms every year and it snows at least once or twice every week in winter months.. Dallas got snow maybe once in several years? That is what we call dust or light powder, up here. I am ready to sacrifice snow, and beaches and move to Dallas if it is worth it. If schools are incredible and homes are great, affordable and quality of life is fantastic, then that is what would make us move.
We had over 12 inches of snow in 2010 and during the Super Bowl week we had 2 storms that hit the area in one week. In the beginning of the week we had a ice storm and near the end of the week we had a snow storm. On the news they are forecasting a wintry mix for the DFW area. HA HA HA once in several years???? Dallas isn't hot the whole year. We actually get below freezing. BTW this isn't Houston we actually get cold.

Here's the forecast

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We had over 12 inches of snow in 2010 and during the Super Bowl week we had 2 storms that hit the area in one week. In the beginning of the week we had a ice storm and near the end of the week we had a snow storm. On the news they are forecasting a wintry mix for the DFW area. HA HA HA once in several years???? Dallas isn't hot the whole year. We actually get below freezing. BTW this isn't Houston we actually get cold.

Here's the forecast
It's nothing on the scale of what the OP is used to. Sure, we get snow, but it's slight and nothing to write home about.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 AM

87 posts, read 277,683 times
Hey Dallaz - Like busterkeaton mentioned, i am used to a different kind of snow. There is no argument about snow when comparing IMO.. yes I understand it is NOT Houston, but I don't think Dallas area gets snow every year. What you call snow, my mind won't even bother.. you probably get more wintry mix.. yes I am not worried about temperatures. I see from my research about 3-4 months it is unbearable (hot) but Nov-Apr seems ok. I already wrote off the snow part. Also the trees and hilly areas.. Also the beaches.. I guess at this point, the big house, amazing architecture, wonderful schools, and great shopping of North Dallas suburbs has to outweigh everything North Boston metro (new Hampshire) has to offer.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM

87 posts, read 277,683 times
tmac9wr - thanks for your wonderful input.. Maybe I should take a trip to both places, stay couple of days and see.. Like I said in my previous reply, nature and climate and surroundings wise I am all for southern New Hampshire and Boston!

The only thing still bugging me is price. It is expensive to get good houses. Also they look crappy compared to North Dallas. (Assuming schools are even for both places)

Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here's the forecast
Its not the same thing. Statistically it snows two or three a year here on average. Some years its more, some less. Half the time when it does snow, its gone in a couple of days. In the Boston area, its on the ground for days if not weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City