Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Side (CHI)? Westside (LA)?
Chicago's North Side 58 52.73%
Westside, Los Angeles 52 47.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
West side, LA.

I'll be moving there in one month! I love midwestern cities and suburbs, but the social/single scene of the north side is not for me, and I am single and 31. Wrigley Field/Cubs are "meh" to me, as is the hipster-faux Bohemian (thick glasses, Beatles hair, scarves, and skinny jeans) of Wicker Park, or the buttoned up financial service number cruncherrs of Lincoln Park.

Chicago scene is too pragmatic and conformist for me to feel like I'm in a middle of it all.
Hollywood or Sunset Strip over Gold Coast or River North
Venice and Santa Monica anyday over Lincoln Park and Lakeview
Griffith Park and the beach over Chicagos lakefront and parks
Miracle Mile and Magnificent Mile, I'd have to think about that one.

However when it comes to family life. I will take the Chicago suburbs over LA suburbs and spending the day in downtown Chicago with family versus downtown LA with family.

Dupage or Lake County, IL over Orange County, CA
and
Downtown Chicago over downtown LA,

but west side of LA over north side of Chicago.

But when it comes to singles/social scene, 20s and 30s crowd, the north side of Chicago is lame to me.
Finally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
West side, LA.

I'll be moving there in one month! I love midwestern cities and suburbs, but the social/single scene of the north side is not for me, and I am single and 31. Wrigley Field/Cubs are "meh" to me, as is the hipster-faux Bohemian (thick glasses, Beatles hair, scarves, and skinny jeans) of Wicker Park, or the buttoned up financial service number cruncherrs of Lincoln Park.

Chicago scene is too pragmatic and conformist for me to feel like I'm in a middle of it all.
Hollywood or Sunset Strip over Gold Coast or River North
Venice and Santa Monica anyday over Lincoln Park and Lakeview
Griffith Park and the beach over Chicagos lakefront and parks
Miracle Mile and Magnificent Mile, I'd have to think about that one.

However when it comes to family life. I will take the Chicago suburbs over LA suburbs and spending the day in downtown Chicago with family versus downtown LA with family.

Dupage or Lake County, IL over Orange County, CA
and
Downtown Chicago over downtown LA,

but west side of LA over north side of Chicago.

But when it comes to singles/social scene, 20s and 30s crowd, the north side of Chicago is lame to me.
In what ways is Chicago conforming that L.A isn't?

The only thing I'd care to steal from L.A is an improvement in weather. Maybe the mountains. Essentially, things that one cannot create. In terms of atmosphere, history, public transit, and many other things, Chicago.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
And I must chime into this one!

Los Angeles and Chicago are completely different cities with entirely different layouts.

The north side of Chicago is a (generously) large chunk of the city that contains a wide variety of neighborhoods and almost all of the most desirable ones (as of 2011 there are some hip neighborhoods on the south side as well).

West Los Angeles is not NEARLY as big of a chunk of the city as the north side of Chicago is and I do not agree that West LA is the most desirable part of the city to live in. Many people prefer to live in other areas, especially youngsters. West LA has a lot of families..... did the OP know this????

Did you know that Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and Hollywood are NOT part of West Los Angeles? If you include those cities, yes, its a good comparison, but just saying West LA...... I don't know.

Yes, Beverly Hills is very nice and desirable and happening, but its not the kind of neighborhood that say, Lakeview or Lincoln Park is. There aren't as many "fresh out of college" kids living in Beverly Hills or West LA than in the North Side.

Since LA is so spread out, it's not fair to compare West LA and the entire North Side of Chicago. I think it's better to just compare LA and the North Side.....
Seriously?? Did you know that LA is 3.8 million people?? Whereas the hip, transit oriented area of Chicago is more like 800,000 people??
You're wrong. The west side of LA includes Holywood, West Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Santa Monica, Venice, Culver City, everything in between.

Thats a huge area. How can you not compare that to the north side of Chicago??

There is the neighborhood "West L.A." which yes, is kind of just an area with apartment buildings in between the more hip and happening areas. Safe, affordable, but with not a lot of things going in between. Then there is "West LA" which is basically a general term for everything between Hollywood and Santa Monica.

Everyone knows Beverly Hills is nota nightlife zone. And the more family oriented areas are the more entirely residential areas of Bel-Air, or Pacific Palisades, Beverly Hills, all the areas in the hills.

What other part of LA is more preferable for "youngsters?" San Fernando Valley?? Orange County??

I suppose if you think of the South Bay area as not being part of the West side, or maybe the area of Silver Lake/Los Feliz (more hipster-Wicker Park-like) as not being west side (although it is west of downtown) then maybe I could see that. As those are neighborhoods which are possibly more exlusively youth-oriented.

Maybe using the word "lame" was not the best word to use. I should have just stuck with the term "not for me"

But theres no reason to put me down. I did my research, extensively comparing and contrasting. Like I said, there are things I love about the Chicago area, and things that are near and dear to me.

I just don't get into the vibe of the north and northwest side neighborhoods. Just let people have that opinion. Chicago just isn't the be all and end all.

I love the midwest. But I also happen to see the similarities between Chicago and all those "diamonds in the rough" If someone was comparing Detroit, Cleveland, or Cincinnati to LA, would you reply in the same way??

Well to me, Chicago is just like those cities, just bigger, more revitalized, more bigger, beautiful downtown, etc. but with a greater quantity of the same building material, so to speak.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
And I must chime into this one!

Los Angeles and Chicago are completely different cities with entirely different layouts.

The north side of Chicago is a (generously) large chunk of the city that contains a wide variety of neighborhoods and almost all of the most desirable ones (as of 2011 there are some hip neighborhoods on the south side as well).

West Los Angeles is not NEARLY as big of a chunk of the city as the north side of Chicago is and I do not agree that West LA is the most desirable part of the city to live in. Many people prefer to live in other areas, especially youngsters. West LA has a lot of families..... did the OP know this????

Did you know that Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and Hollywood are NOT part of West Los Angeles? If you include those cities, yes, its a good comparison, but just saying West LA...... I don't know.

Yes, Beverly Hills is very nice and desirable and happening, but its not the kind of neighborhood that say, Lakeview or Lincoln Park is. There aren't as many "fresh out of college" kids living in Beverly Hills or West LA than in the North Side.
I'm a young guy living in BH, and I'll be the first to say that I generally feel about 15 years younger than most of the other people who live here, by choice, on their own. Not that I'm complaining by any stretch... you really have to be crass to complain about living here... but it is certainly more quiet on the whole (excepting the BH Triangle) than many parts of Lake View, where I have some family. I generally like the area quite a bit.

However, your assessment of West LA is way off the mark. Are there lots of families in West LA? Absolutely. It's also where UCLA is situated. Lots of recent grads stay living and working in the area. I moved to Venice when I was 20, and was quite far from the only young person in the area. I drive up Santa Monica and stop into a number of cafes and bars to hang out with friends my age who live in that area or meet girls.

Quote:
Since LA is so spread out, it's not fair to compare West LA and the entire North Side of Chicago. I think it's better to just compare LA and the North Side.....
If you compare the whole of LA to one distric of Chicago, it's not really fair to that portion Chicago, and LA wins in a landslide by most metrics (it's like comparing Koreatown and Mid-Wilshire, or the Northside to NYC as a whole). How familiar are you with LA?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Throw in Malibu and Palos Verdes still LA County and this thread is done...those two alone beat ANYWHERE the best of Chicago has to offer. Of course you won't touch either for under a million and that's for a shack. Of course neither are urban,diverse and offer little in the way of transportation short of a garage full of exotics.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Throw in Malibu and Palos Verdes still LA County and this thread is done...those two alone beat ANYWHERE the best of Chicago has to offer. Of course you won't touch either for under a million and that's for a shack. Of course neither are urban,diverse and offer little in the way of transportation short of a garage full of exotics.
sounds awful

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
In what ways is Chicago conforming that L.A isn't?

The only thing I'd care to steal from L.A is an improvement in weather. Maybe the mountains. Essentially, things that one cannot create. In terms of atmosphere, history, public transit, and many other things, Chicago.
Huge sports scene. I'll go watch a game with people, sure thats fun, I'll go to Wrigley Field. I'm kind of "meh" and "neutral" about it, and do it to go along.

Nothing wrong with it, Sports are great for civic pride and bringing people together, but when you see so many people in their sports jerseys, it does feel like a bit of a big small town. Again, nothing wrong with that, that can actually very much be a positive thing about Chicago. But it has a vibe of sameness.

A city whos huge economy is based on the financial sector, involves a strict dress code, and no self-expression. Finance is more important than entertainment in terms of what makes the country go round. While there is a LOT about the entertainment industry I don't care for at all, there are a lot of bad things, I don't see how anyone could argue that entertainment industry promotes individual diversity more than the financial sector.

A really have a lot of respect for the hipster crowd in Wicker Park, etc. I think that subculture has done so much in revitalization, but its not really my scene.

Chicago has tons to do. And something for everyone. I for one when to the German Kristkindlmarket in downtown Chicago The week before I ate a great barbecue place in Wicker Park. I DO enjoy Chicago. I have friends and family here. There are things I would miss. I was never stuck here miserable. I just never felt like something was missing thats all. I don't even plan on being in LA my whole life, I don't think I would want to.

Like I said: Downtown Chicago is better than Downtown LA (Downtown Chicago is much better to spend the day in for sure), DuPage and Lake County, IL is better than Orange County, CA (for suburban family life - better environment to grow up in/raise kids - better values, etc.). However I do prefer Hollywood, Sunset strip, Santa Monica, Venice, Mid-Wilshire/Miracle Mile, the beaches, Griffith Park, etc. etc. to Chicagos counterparts.

LAs a better city if one likes "exploring." Chicago is a better city if one likes everything in one place, so there is no need to explore.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Bottom line:

LA if you love exploring the million things scattered across a county and suprises and quirks around every corner with an anything goes, and a "fresh start" vibe.

Chicago if you prefer everything right in one spot, hate driving, and like sophisticated and cosmopolitan balances with a more practical attitude and balance of open-minded, yet valuing "normal-ness".

Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
sounds awful
Ha. You really think living in Malibu sounds awful

Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
you really need clarification?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Chicago has a great public transportation system, though.
No, it has an extensive one. Don't confuse it with NYC:

Chicago's public transport: Off track | The Economist

As for the Westside lacking in urban amenities someone please tell me what's lacking in the flatlands of this area (48 sq miles) besides light/heavy rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City