Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I didn't. I said that I hoped other people in the state are a higher class than she is. It is just that I have met other people from New Jersey and they are pretty much the same way. I just got posts back from two of them.

i'm sorry, did you just say I was lower class because I *dared* to challenge your post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Just having an opinion in that world is looked down upon. Especially if it comes from someone of the female persuasion. One thing I have noticed though- Rural people in NC have much less of a problem with an opinion. I guess I will excuse them from my rant. My experience has shown me that they are exception to the rule however.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I'd say Arkansas is pretty hated for a state...nobody usually brings it up. When they talk about Arkansas, usually it comes into context with president clinton or poverty. Go back in time and i'd say South Carolina is a pretty hated state. By all means, to me they are the most Southern of Southern states. First to secede, first shot of the Civil War was fired at Fort Sumter in Charleston. Also as far as the Midwest goes, I would say that Ohio is probably the most hated state in the Midwest. Although Indiana is probably the most boring Midwestern state for sure.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts. Californians are generally despised in many places too because they jack up prices and seem very materialistic and stuck up to a lot of other people. Massachusetts could probably be considered communist and sickly.

Ohio blows all of them out of the water.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts. Californians are generally despised in many places too because they jack up prices and seem very materialistic and stuck up to a lot of other people. Massachusetts could probably be considered communist and sickly.

Ohio blows all of them out of the water.
I hope that last part is a joke! It is right?

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,005 times
This is easy! As a Texan, I would say we're pretty well hated because as a group, we're very proud of being Texans. Yes, I've read these forums and know there are people who hate being in Texas. However, you hear people talk about how proud they are to be a Texan. In my travels and when I went to grad school in another state, I never heard anyone talk about how proud they were to be where they were from. Especially where I went to grad school in MI...my friends were beating down the door to get out of that state and that was way before the auto industry fell apart.

My second choice is California. Everytime I go there for business, people invariably ask "Don't you want to move here? We have the ocean and the mountains and the restaurants" and the Dodgers, etc. Cali folk just think they are fabulous and can't believe that the rest of the country doesn't agree. It doesn't come across as a pride thing, it's more like a the rest of the country couldn't possibly be as great as Cali thing.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
This is easy! As a Texan, I would say we're pretty well hated because as a group, we're very proud of being Texans. Yes, I've read these forums and know there are people who hate being in Texas. However, you hear people talk about how proud they are to be a Texan. In my travels and when I went to grad school in another state, I never heard anyone talk about how proud they were to be where they were from. Especially where I went to grad school in MI...my friends were beating down the door to get out of that state and that was way before the auto industry fell apart.

My second choice is California. Everytime I go there for business, people invariably ask "Don't you want to move here? We have the ocean and the mountains and the restaurants" and the Dodgers, etc. Cali folk just think they are fabulous and can't believe that the rest of the country doesn't agree. It doesn't come across as a pride thing, it's more like a the rest of the country couldn't possibly be as great as Cali thing.

Agreed. Texans are very proud of their state for some reason. I can't see why.. George Bush, mega churches, illegals just as much as any south west state, humidity, the fact that they were on the losing side of the civil war, the fact that they left mexico because they didn't want to give up their slaves when mexico abolished slavery,
one things for sure though white texans wont hesitate to tell you how much they love their state and what they think of yours. Texas woman are lovley, btw.

As far as california, yea i don't think it's a pride thing. I can't recall the last time i heard some one was proud to be anything in california except being white. I mean it's true the rest of the country isn't as great as california. Its got some ups, but most of the ups the country offers i can find right here at home. Same with the downs. So why leave, especially since we "californicate" every other place we go to

Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You're more then likely right..don't know exactly why but these 3 seem to take the brunt of it ..lol
Its because people from these states move to other parts of the country, especially the South and the Mountain/Southwest states and make a bad name for themselves, give themseles a bad reputaton for being pushy, elitist, rude, arrogant, materialistic, and snobby. My aunt from Idaho complains a lot about Californians messing up Boise, and I feel the same way about Yankees in Maryland. These beliefs are shared by many natives in Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, and Arizona.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
In all fairness to californians and "yankees" (i'm assuming this means upper midwest, great lakes and new england) the states they move to (idaho, colorado, montana, arizona, maryland, florida, north carolina, nevada) don't exactly have the most positive images either. Most transplants assume the locals of these places to be either 1) rednecks 2) yokals. The stereotypes go both ways.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
In all fairness to californians and "yankees" (i'm assuming this means upper midwest, great lakes and new england) the states they move to (idaho, colorado, montana, arizona, maryland, florida, north carolina, nevada) don't exactly have the most positive images either. Most transplants assume the locals of these places to be either 1) rednecks 2) yokals. The stereotypes go both ways.
I dont see why they come up with that stereotype. Actually, most of those states in the upper midwest and North have plenty of the above.

I find the stereotypes work in the opposite direction.....Many people I have met from the North were worried they wouldn't fit up to the Southern way of life because they thought everything was much more proper and formal here than where they came from, and they weren't from old Virginia families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City