Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 AM

127 posts, read 378,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can't imagine someone with that bumper sticker would be someone I'd suspect to be friendly to a northerner, considering they feel strongly enough about it to display that on their car.
Yes I agree and I was told that in the '70s, during the oil crisis, they drove around with bumper stickers with a Texas friendly message that said FREEZE A YANKEE. They also had "hospitable" bumper stickers for people from Oklahoma because many people from Oklahoma transplanted themselves in TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Um, how do you lump Texas in with California? Just because of a few ranches out in West Texas? Texas has more in common with the South than any other region. Just thought I'd clear that up!

Anyway, wow, this is a loaded question. I think every state has its good and bad points. I wouldn't think any one of our beloved states in the union would be considered "hated". Where do you live? Do you like your state?
I hate Texas (this might get me some fire) because of the miserable humidity, the mostely flatness, and the way its so full of itself. It used to be its own country. Its the only state that gets to put its flag, that obnoxious texas lone star flag, as high as the american flag. You can look at almost any direction and see that freaken flag. The people talk about this place like its Gods counrty. Alot of people here really beleive that Sadaam was responsible for 911. There are alot of poor people ther that seem to vote against there best interest. Also Bush pretends to live here. Sometimes he actually is here moving brush for photo opts, ingoring presidental bulletins about Bin ladin attacking the US. They have roads in Dallas named after the Bushes. I refuse to drive on them, and prefer to go way out my way to avoid them. Thank God I lived in Austin, where a few people agreed with me about bush. THis place gets huricanes, tornadoes, and flash floods. The BBQ aint what its cracked up to be. Ok I guess my rant is over. It was quite dramatic for me there.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Kansas, YANKEE? No way!
Well Kansas is certainly not Southern, so might as well call it Yankee.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:21 PM

86 posts, read 499,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well Kansas is certainly not Southern, so might as well call it Yankee.
No, its neither, Kansas is heartland

I dont see why everyone has to force a state into one category or the other when there is clearly some gray areas.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
We do hope you have found your "nirvana", sberdrow. And that you have left our wonderful State behind for good. Don't let the door hit you in the.....

Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post
No, its neither, Kansas is heartland

I dont see why everyone has to force a state into one category or the other when there is clearly some gray areas.
For some reason Kansas is strongly influenced by areas in the southern plains like Texas. I think this is partly related to old history because of the cattle drives through western Kansas in the middle to late 1800s. Kansas definitely does not have much in common with the Midwest even though it pretends like it does. Also, the entire state is located along and south of 40N latitude so it definitely is not very far north either. Also, their are more southern accents in a good majority of the state than midwest accents. Their are also a good percentage of the population with netural accents.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if i may also add (gotta give props to my state):

1st or 2nd in median income, 1st or 2nd in household income, 1st or 2nd in per capita income, 4th most educated population, 40th "fattest" state (on the good side) LOL! 3 of NJ counties rank in top 10 of wealth.

hey, maybe that's why it's hated...
They may be the Top in Income but it is also 3x the cost to live there, so with the average income, the person could be living in Poverty.
Where you get that the people are less fat is a crock. In Momouth County I saw some pretty huge people,
Williamson County in TN ranks high in Wealth.

Your hated because NJ is overcrowded. I know because I lived there for 13 years in Manalapan, NJ. The country roads when I moved there became crowded roads where you would sit for hours to reach home. The Construction of homes kept going on anyway, but roads remained just as crowded. The people would yell and curse there even in the Supermarket. I have permanent scars on my legs from being hit my carts in Wegman's in Manalapan.
NJ is 48th in Size, Making it on of the Smallest in Land Size. It is 7th in population meaning more people per sq mile. Now, You know the far southern part of the state has a smaller population so everyone is crowded into North and Central NJ.
Try getting home at night, what should take 55 min-Non Rush, Can take over 2 hours rush.
They did to do something to the interstructure there because its not easy to get from some areas of the state.
Here in TN we have a Large Interstate interstructure that Zips us for miles in minimun time.
Our state may not have the Largest incomes but it also cost much less to live there. In the parts of the state that do cost more, thats where people make more. Check at Belle Meade area of Nashville, lots of Millionaires there, and old money. Williamson County is more New Money, large area of relocations ,.
My son who lives in NJ tonight told me he hates it there and if his fiance wants to stay, he's leaving anyway.
Diane in Music City

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
They may be the Top in Income but it is also 3x the cost to live there, so with the average income, the person could be living in Poverty.
Where you get that the people are less fat is a crock. In Momouth County I saw some pretty huge people,
Williamson County in TN ranks high in Wealth.

Your hated because NJ is overcrowded. I know because I lived there for 13 years in Manalapan, NJ. The country roads when I moved there became crowded roads where you would sit for hours to reach home. The Construction of homes kept going on anyway, but roads remained just as crowded. The people would yell and curse there even in the Supermarket. I have permanent scars on my legs from being hit my carts in Wegman's in Manalapan.
NJ is 48th in Size, Making it on of the Smallest in Land Size. It is 7th in population meaning more people per sq mile. Now, You know the far southern part of the state has a smaller population so everyone is crowded into North and Central NJ.
Try getting home at night, what should take 55 min-Non Rush, Can take over 2 hours rush.
They did to do something to the interstructure there because its not easy to get from some areas of the state.
Here in TN we have a Large Interstate interstructure that Zips us for miles in minimun time.
Our state may not have the Largest incomes but it also cost much less to live there. In the parts of the state that do cost more, thats where people make more. Check at Belle Meade area of Nashville, lots of Millionaires there, and old money. Williamson County is more New Money, large area of relocations ,.
My son who lives in NJ tonight told me he hates it there and if his fiance wants to stay, he's leaving anyway.
Diane in Music City

Ok it's a given you absolutely detest NJ, but here's a clue there are many here who do enjoy living in the state..sure traffic can be a nightmare but the positives out weigh it.
I certainly don't pull down hefty bucks but hubbie and I have a nice home in Morris County....

In order to enjoy the rainbow one must endure the rain

Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ok it's a given you absolutely detest NJ, but here's a clue there are many here who do enjoy living in the state..sure traffic can be a nightmare but the positives out weigh it.
I certainly don't pull down hefty bucks but hubbie and I have a nice home in Morris County....

In order to enjoy the rainbow one must endure the rain
It's just not a good Quality of life if your have to be in the car or bus commuting for hours.My husband now Zips to work in 20-25 min and parks under the building, at no charge.
We have family in Morris County, Lincoln Park. Too much snow up there!

Diane in Music City

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It's just not a good Quality of life if your have to be in the car or bus commuting for hours.My husband now Zips to work in 20-25 min and parks under the building, at no charge.
We have family in Morris County, Lincoln Park. Too much snow up there!

Diane in Music City
and i zip right across the hall to work and so does my neighbor across the street, and the neighbor next door to him and so does the person down the block and so does his wife, and then there's the neighbor who drives 2 minutes to his own business in town and I know because I live here. so there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City