Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro(s) would work best for a fresh start for my wife and I?
Minneapolis/St. Paul 29 49.15%
Pittsburgh 17 28.81%
St. Louis 8 13.56%
Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Cary) 4 6.78%
Kansas City 7 11.86%
Other 3 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

268 posts, read 373,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I still remember many days in Pittsburgh during the winter when there is sun in January and February. I remember most winter days were low clouds off the lake with the sun peaking through. I do also remember days of straight clouds like in february. But to say the who time is nothing but clouds is misleading to say the least.

A day with separated cumulus clouds in the sky is recorded as "cloudy" even though the sun peaks through and doesn't have a "grey" feeling. These days never effected me.

Days that effected me were the low grey clouds. But all winter is not like that, and to say that a Pittsburgh winter is nothing but grey is a lie.
A day with separated cumulus clouds would be partly cloudy. There's less than 40% of the possible sunshine from Nov-Feb. Pittsburgh winters are dreary. The sun might peak through the clouds for 20 minutes, but most winter days are solid overcast as opposed to partly sunny or sunny. I posted a great webcam source so the OP can look at the high level of greyness all winter long. OTOH, summers are sunny and beautiful. Winters simply are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM

4,637 posts, read 4,939,399 times
I'll throw Cleveland out there, too. I have no idea what the software market is like there, that's not my field, but I did find this article:

A.J. Hyland says Cleveland is tops in high-tech: My Cleveland | cleveland.com

They're in Westlake, on the West Shore of Cleveland two towns over from where I grew up. Hyland's very well regarded -- my mom always says I should come back and work for them, never mind that I know nothing about software and have never worked in that field (love you anyway, Ma).

Anyway, the West Shore suburbs are great. Good sense of community, very little crime or congestion. Very cool parks, especially the Rocky River Reservation and Huntington Beach. One of the suburbs, Lakewood, is much more urban and offers good public transportation within town and also to Cleveland. The Cleveland area as a whole is on par with the other cities you mentioned, so if you found a job, I'd strongly consider it.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Cleveland is just as grey in the winter as Pittsburgh.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM

4,637 posts, read 4,939,399 times
It is indeed. I missed the OP's post about gray days.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM

32 posts, read 62,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It is indeed. I missed the OP's post about gray days.
Sorry! I know that's kind of a nagging point. Spending so much time inside at work (and the past two years in an office w/o windows), I've come to really cherish natural light. I appreciate the suggestion, though!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticentwebdev View Post
Sorry! I know that's kind of a nagging point. Spending so much time inside at work (and the past two years in an office w/o windows), I've come to really cherish natural light. I appreciate the suggestion, though!
You can always get a light lamp. Who knows, maybe the grey of Pittsburgh won't be that noticeable. I'd recommend using that weather cam link to see what the city looks like throughout the day and how you can picture yourself waking up to many grey days. You can prob find one on Cleveland as well. One thing to note about the topography of Pittsburgh is that the hills can produce hazardous driving conditions when there's ice. There's also no grid system for our street layouts so Pitt is the most confusing place to drive around. OTOH, it's a great city full of friendly people and top notch universities. It's very neighborhood oriented and you can't beat the cost of living. You'll be in closer proximity to other NE cities like NYC, DC, and Philly as well. Yes, the Steelers are a religion here but the fans here aren't as aggressive and rude to other pro football fans like you see in other cities. Steelers fans may feel bad for you if you wear a Colts jersey though

Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,841,634 times
With all of the negative findings about sun overexposure lately, you'd think cloudier cities would become a little more popular? People of all skin colors really aren't meant to be out in the sun for super-extended periods of time......it's very damaging to the skin cells (not just white Irishmen, either!). That being said, I find it difficult to go from sunny to gray myself, so I don't blame you if you don't want to live in a state of perpetual drearyness. But if I were you, I'd also avoid perpetual sunshine. Not just because of what it does to the skin, but it seems to make people a little crazy....

Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,870,077 times
Choose Minneapolis-St. Paul, a very progressive, forward-looking community in a state long renowned for its great quality-of-life; you'll adjust to the winters.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
With all of the negative findings about sun overexposure lately, you'd think cloudier cities would become a little more popular? People of all skin colors really aren't meant to be out in the sun for super-extended periods of time......it's very damaging to the skin cells (not just white Irishmen, either!). That being said, I find it difficult to go from sunny to gray myself, so I don't blame you if you don't want to live in a state of perpetual drearyness. But if I were you, I'd also avoid perpetual sunshine. Not just because of what it does to the skin, but it seems to make people a little crazy....
There is now a wealth of information indicating that many Americans don't get enough sunlight! Vitamin d deficiency can be serious and sometimes more harmful than too much sunlight exposure. With vitamin d deficiency, there is an increased risk of various cancers, diabetes, rickets, etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,452,880 times
I would choose Kansas City, lots of Tech Startups in the area and software/IT companies, here are just a few that will be hiring soon

1. The new social website called Zaarly is based here, it's like a real time craigslist.

2. We also have the Healthcare Giant Software company called Cerner, they are starting a new segment of their business and they will be looking to hire a lot of new programers and IT pros.

3. Netsmart Technologies is relocating here from NY, they are a healthcare IT company and they are looking at hiring 300 new people

4. Data Systems International - they are a global high-tech software company who will be moving downtown, once they move downtown, they will be looking at hiring 150 new workers

5. BATS - It's a global stock exchange, it's actually the 3rd largest stock exchange in the world behind NYSE and NASDAQ, they are making new acquistions and will be looking for a lot of technical people

We also have a lot of little companies that are doing google app programming and things like this. Google Fiber Internet will be coming to KCMO in 2012 and it will be awesome.

If you stay in the urban core, you will be able to get around via bus lines, real estate and rent is cheap, we have some great restaurants which is finally putting us on the map.
I really think the economy here is diverse and it would be easy for you to find a job. Also, flights to Indy are usually dirt cheap, usually 49 to 59 each way, it might actually be cheaper then driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City