U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
4,628 posts, read 3,797,400 times
Reputation: 2295

Advertisements

1.New York City
2.Los Angeles
3.Miami
4.Chicago
5.Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,244 posts, read 2,116,843 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
^^^ I would also make an argument that the space needle and St. Louis arch are more recognizable than both the willis/sears tower or the french quarter
And I would argue that the French Quarter is more recognizable than all three. Call me biased all you want, but I know that teenagers in Sweden knew what New Orleans was famous for, the Honda Fit is sold as the "Jazz" in Europe, and car ads in India advertise than you can pick up our local music station on their in-car internet radios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 AM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
897 posts, read 359,516 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
And I would argue that the French Quarter is more recognizable than all three. Call me biased all you want, but I know that teenagers in Sweden knew what New Orleans was famous for, the Honda Fit is sold as the "Jazz" in Europe, and car ads in India advertise than you can pick up our local music station on their in-car internet radios.
This thread is not about popular culture, its about image/icon jazz and the french quarter are 2 completely different things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:19 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,244 posts, read 2,116,843 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
This thread is not about popular culture, its about image/icon jazz and the french quarter are 2 completely different things
Ok, you called my argument about not including SF in the top 5 ludicrous- even though I didn't have a top 5.

But really, the freaking Space Needle? How often does your average American, much less somebody from out of the country, have that thing cross their mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,244 posts, read 2,116,843 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
This thread is not about popular culture, its about image/icon jazz and the french quarter are 2 completely different things
How else do you define iconic then? And yeah, I know a little bit more about jazz than you, I promise- but this is inherently an argument about perception in pop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
11,087 posts, read 9,209,962 times
Reputation: 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Ok, you called my argument about not including SF in the top 5 ludicrous- even though I didn't have a top 5.

But really, the freaking Space Needle? How often does your average American, much less somebody from out of the country, have that thing cross their mind?
If we're talking about the image of them, I don't think many people would recognize an image of Bourbon St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,244 posts, read 2,116,843 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If we're talking about the image of them, I don't think many people would recognize an image of Bourbon St.
You're really not much help in argument, ever, you know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
11,087 posts, read 9,209,962 times
Reputation: 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
You're really not much help in argument, ever, you know that?
It's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Status: "ASOIAF - Book 5" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Ohio; originally Oakland, CA
6,021 posts, read 3,684,606 times
Reputation: 5237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
How else do you define iconic then? And yeah, I know a little bit more about jazz than you, I promise- but this is inherently an argument about perception in pop culture.
Yep, your point is quite valid. Iconography is more than just physical objects; it is perception. Just like San Francisco (for example) being known as much for the gay and hippie movements as the GGB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
229 posts, read 212,330 times
Reputation: 225
1. New York
2. Washington DC - As the capital of the U.S. people outside of america would naturally think of this city.
3. L.A
4. Chicago
5. Miami/San Francisco - I know i am going to get allot of hate from many people for this. First of all i would like to say san fran is the better world class city but miami draws in a bigger variety of people from outside the U.S. Miami is a huge gateway from the latin american countries and a huge destination spot for Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top