Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM

14,175 posts, read 22,632,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringOldMike4554 View Post
I find geographic and economic to be two fairly separate things. Geographically, I would consider one of the West Coast cities (probably either San Francisco or Seattle). Economically, it would have to be one of the cities in the Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington D.C. mega-region.
I think Pittsburgh is in a good location. It's close enough to the Northeast megalopolis to feed off it, but far enough away to be its own place, and also have a more reasonable cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,750,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I disagree

The central time zone is where its at geographically & economically right now, especially Texas cities.

Being located on the West or East coasts these days is irrelevent in most cases.
Not to nitpick but tell me again what you can do within 100 miles of DFW relative to LA SF NYC or Philly

And irrlevant how The main stay of culture, media, finance, technology, population, government policy, world poilicy things to do

And more irrelevant how being the most efficent in GDP output, income please explain metro I am ALLL EARS

TX has a good economy but absolutely PALES incomparison to the east or west coast counterparts this is not to be harsh but honestly sit the F down until you are even remotely on the playing field (dude seriously stop reading your own press and actually look at reality, on the west coast the top TX city would be number 3 on the east coast barely number 4; stop posting absurd non realistic crap quite honestly; you lose quite a bit of credibility the numbers are not even close)

Again please explain beyond a BLIND love of texas and how they even REMOTELY compare, as I am very interested to hear ONE SINGLE articulate argument

There is nothing in this context that the East or West coast does not dominate

Last edited by kidphilly; 12-28-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM

14,175 posts, read 22,632,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not to nitpick but tell me again what you can do within 100 miles of DFW relative to LA SF NYC or Phillys
Two words: Possum Kingdom.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,197,909 times
Modern travel and communications have made location far less important these days. Live where you want to live and be happy!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,066,601 times
Quote:
Not to nitpick but tell me again what you can do within 100 miles of DFW relative to LA SF NYC or Philly

And irrlevant how The main stay of culture, media, finance, technology, population, government policy, world poilicy things to do

And more irrelevant how being the most efficent in GDP output, income please explain metro I am ALLL EARS

TX has a good economy but absolutely PALES incomparison to the east or west coast counterparts this is not to be harsh but honestly sit the F down until you are even remotely on the playing field (dude seriously stop reading your own press and actually look at reality, on the west coast the top TX city would be number 3 on the east coast barely number 4; stop posting absurd non realistic crap quite honestly; you lose quite a bit of credibility the numbers are not even close)

Again please explain beyond a BLIND love of texas and how they even REMOTELY compare, as I am very interested to hear ONE SINGLE articulate argument

There is nothing in this context that the East or West coast does not dominate
I dont get why you are so going after this so hard!? Except MM does tend to exaggerate, but the DFW and Houston economies stack up very well with other top tier cities and are on a quicker upward trajectory.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont get why you are so going after this so hard!? Except MM does tend to exaggerate, but the DFW and Houston economies stack up very well with other top tier cities and are on a quicker upward trajectory.

Not disagreeing but explain how either compares to the top economies on either coast today or even in ten years.

And yes his statements were WAY over the top in regards to TX which is doing fine but regardless still PALES in comparison to the tope economies on either coast FACT

To me WAY homered or just purely ignorant comments of which I find silly to make when they can be refuted 9 ways till sunday without any effort TX is doing well but is FAR away from being discussed with the top soze or effeciency economies in the uS. Hell they just recently even breached the discussion crawl before you walk They hardly if at all exceed the economy of Philly let alone the larger areas Just overzelousness if you ask me Compare to LA or NYC (actually DC or the Bay first) then make such a statement. It is at least 10 year (probably more) premature IF EVER

Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Not disagreeing but explain how either compares to the top economies on either coast today or even in ten years.

And yes his statements were WAY over the tope in regards to TX which is doing fine but regardless still PALES in comparison to the tope economies on either coast FACT

I dont get what your saying maybe. Texas compared to CA or Bos/Wash? Because DFW & Houston alone stack up well with other comparables on virtually any metric, and as I mentioned have a continued upward trajectory into the foreseeable future. I think in 10 years DFW and Houston will both be over or around 7 million people and their economies will still be strong. What do you mean by PALES?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:

And do you consider DFW on the level with a NYC, LA or Bay?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I dont get what your saying maybe. Texas compared to CA or Bos/Wash? Because DFW & Houston alone stack up well with other comparables on virtually any metric, and as I mentioned have a continued upward trajectory into the foreseeable future. I think in 10 years DFW and Houston will both be over or around 7 million people and their economies will still be strong. What do you mean by PALES?
well relative to DC, Bay, LA, NYC, Boston CSA etc they are not close

I agree they are string but not yet a region close ti the east or west in aggregate

Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Objectively looking at Texas it will be stong into the foreseeable future. The Texas Trangle will be huge, I can see it easily supporting 30 million people, not the whole state, but that region. Although thats a big geographic area.....still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City